Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win (Naturally). Saturday is going to be Stressful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
I absolutely don't think or expect them to. I wouldn't move the 1st overall though either.
It would take a kings ransom to get that away from the leafs. The only thing would be a massive overpayment.
On the flip side the coyotes still have Dvo and then they would be adding mathews, they would be stronger when all is said and done.
As for Strome I am still weary of his skating to call him a probable #1
Ahh sorry brother misread your comment. Speaking of strome and marner thiugh, which 1 do you think will end up being better? I really wanted strome to fall to us last year, big centre exactly what we needed/need

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Pure fantasy. Leafs gets the 1st overall, trade that pick along with Harrington and Percy to Edmonton for McDavid.

For real, there is no way the Leafs is going to trade the first overall, unless it is a completely uneven deal.

Everything we say on here is fantasy my friend. That's why we re on here and shanahan Lou and co are making the big bucks lol

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Ahh sorry brother misread your comment. Speaking of strome and marner thiugh, which 1 do you think will end up being better? I really wanted strome to fall to us last year, big centre exactly what we needed/need
That's tough to say right now. It's really hard to project how anyone makes the leap to the nhl.
That said Marner has the edge in the skating. He has only one question mark and that is size, but I don't think that will hold him back at all.
Strome was one I liked too and it was a tough internal debate between the 2 for me. In the end I chose Marner over Strome because of the skating.
I think both will be nhl players. I think Marner will be a bigger impact player than Strome unless he really improves his skating. Time will tell.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Cmon now. Strome looks like he's gonna be a #1centre himself. You really think Arizona would trade their best prospect and pick to move 1spot up? Would you trade Marner and the 2nd overall pick for Mathews? Don't think so.

Matthews is more of a bringing the prodigal son home type move, they would over pay. We wouldn't over pay in that scenario. Strome + #5 will do.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Not even God himself would make our management trade that pick
Could you imagine being the GM that traded away a guy that could be as good as Toews
Hell no

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Lol not a domi fan huh

Not his latter years. He turned into a ****** bag. Don't want hear him talk about his boy all the time if max was a leaf. Hate his stupid girly eyebrows on his annoying comwave promos.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
Not his latter years. He turned into a ****** bag. Don't want hear him talk about his boy all the time if max was a leaf. Hate his stupid girly eyebrows on his annoying comwave promos.
Lmao those eyebrows are one of a kind

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Everyone has a price man.

And what price would you accept that any sane GM would offer
He is a possible 2 way franchise center
No GM is moving that unless someone loses their mind and offers something stupid

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
And what price would you accept that any sane GM would offer
He is a possible 2 way franchise center
No GM is moving that unless someone loses their mind and offers something stupid

Just speaking hypothetically here pal calm down. It'll be Edmonton's pick soon enough anyway.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
At the risk of being unpopular, I'm not totally upset we won. A winning culture is critical, and it's a mentality that starts now. Nylander is looking like a potentially great player.

And if we end up losing out on everything and picking 5th, I personally hope we trade down into the 7-8 spot... gather up assets, and pick either Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi who would likely have one them available. I could see a team wanting to move up for a chance at a Matthew Tkachuk or Alex Nylander. If we're not getting one of the big three, I'd rather move down if we could.

Josh92

Mar 29, 2016
At the risk of being unpopular, I'm not totally upset we won. A winning culture is critical, and it's a mentality that starts now. Nylander is looking like a potentially great player.

And if we end up losing out on everything and picking 5th, I personally hope we trade down into the 7-8 spot... gather up assets, and pick either Chychrun, Sergachev, or Juolevi who would likely have one them available. I could see a team wanting to move up for a chance at a Matthew Tkachuk or Alex Nylander. If we're not getting one of the big three, I'd rather move down if we could.

Ya but would it of been so hard to start the "winning culture" after we clinched 30th? Lol let's be realistic nylander getting 3points is great but in the long run all it does it potentially hurt us come draft time. Scoring 3pts TN won't make him that much better 5yeara from now get what in trying to say?. It's just been so long since we be had a top prospect the guy could take a s**t and people are gonna somehow connect it to his development lmao

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Starting Bernier was ********. Someone upstairs was concerned that his wife talked to that wife and she was upset that bill was related to john who was............. well lets get it.

Phildelphia is an awful hockey team the gods of 74 shudder, but we dressed a good goaltender and saved the NHL from a terrible team being represented in the playoffs,

Maybe we get rewarded at lottery ball time?

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Great game.
Nylander with a fantastic effort, after I am sure getting a bit of a speech from Babcock on how "this is our playoffs, right here". I can guarantee something to that effect was said, and the kids delivered. That REALLY bodes well for our future.

You play hard, try to win, and let the chips fall where they may.

I refuse to cheer for losses, so that we can get stuck into a losing mentality as a franchise. People keep forgetting that the team with the best odds to win the draft lottery since the lockout has only won like once (was quoted on radio, so I haven't checked that stat). Either way, look at the last few wins . . . it wasn't Buffalo last year folks. C'mon.

Go Leafs Go.

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
Ya but would it of been so hard to start the "winning culture" after we clinched 30th? Lol let's be realistic nylander getting 3points is great but in the long run all it does it potentially hurt us come draft time. Scoring 3pts TN won't make him that much better 5yeara from now get what in trying to say?. It's just been so long since we be had a top prospect the guy could take a s**t and people are gonna somehow connect it to his development lmao

A winning culture isn't necessarily about placement, it's about effort and work ethic. If you give a group of guys an inch to say it's ok to suck, how do you know when that will stop? It's similar to a startup company - they don't start and say "It's ok guys, we know we'll suck this year, so don't stress. Next year we'll do better."

Why? Because you have to come to work every day. And if they came to work and won, then good - they were rewarded. That's what you want to breed... the age old adage is that if you give an inch, they'll take a mile.

Nylander is looking like a great player, but isn't there yet. Gotta do it for more than a month or two.

If we don't draft top three, my ideal is that we move down into the 7 spot to grab one of the big defenceman, and then use some of those assets (going rate to move from 7 to 5 is a second and a third) to move up with our Pens pick to draft Logan Brown (since McLeod will be long gone - I imagine we'd move to the 15 spot or so.)

teeder333*

Oct 22, 2014
Imagine if your best friend from age five to twelve became GM of the Toronto Maple Leafs?

AND, he drafted three guys from the same damn junior team who couldn't skate and chew gum?

That is my dilemma, he told me his strategy when he had three top picks in the first round, and well, lets just say, my Leaf DNA got in the way and I couldn't really relate to him any more.

We barely spoke after that, after me attending almost every Leaf game in the gondola.

To his credit and his handlers, it was a terrible draft year in the first round any ways.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm old school in that I began watching hockey in the original 6 era.

Therefore the Leafs an original 6 team beating Philly helping Detroit and Boston their original 6 teams partners get into the playoffs does sit well with me as the silver lining of the victory.

horner

May 22, 2007

Run the lottery simulator let us know what your results are.

I ran it 40 times
Edmonton 8
Calgary 6
Toronto 5
Arizona 5

By my results it is better be 29th

Wost case scenario we draft 5th

Just play the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events