Post-Game Talk: Leafs win Monday Matinee Blues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Stats aren't currently in his favor but how many teams can boast they have a 70 point 800 face-off win 2C for the playoffs ?

The stat we like is he paces 30 goals in the playoffs. This hasn't changed the past 2 seasons. His pace has not encountered a decline to date.
Your 2C being a 30 goal pace scorer in Spring behind your 3 best guys is significantly huge.

And who cares where the points come from as long as they come. How many series did we throw away off dead PPs? Scoreboard talks at the end of the game.

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022
Nice game.

Didn't like Lils game before but the continued minutes seem to be making him upgrade himself every game through dealing with various plays and learning from past mistakes.

Rielly will need better support when he's back so hope they keep it up. They let him down first half

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Nice W, boys!! Weve been due for a run for a while. Hopefully we keep it going for another 3 or 4 more here!

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
This team is woken up. They keep playing like this and we may have to consider actually being limited buyers at the TDL.

The issue becomes what is it we add? Cap situation is horrid, along with limited pieces to move. Yet we need depth scoring and defense.

Ideally we get Hanifin/Tanev/Walker plus forward, but we really shouldn't move Cowan, Knies or our first. Yet something has got to give.

Do we roll with what we have and evaluate this team on how they do in the post season?

Reactions: authentic

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Nice W, boys!! Weve been due for a run for a while. Hopefully we keep it going for another 3 or 4 more here!
I think they win the next two games. But Saturday night in Colorado? Not so sure about that one.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
When these guys play a simple and structured way they are one of the best teams in the league. It is a real shame this happens when we lose our best players. I thought Tavares was great tonight. Loved how he called out the ref. Enough of this Mr. Nice Guy Family man bullshit.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think maybe people don't realize that 6 of his 10 points were on the power play. It would be difficult for him to replicate that on Toronto.

Unless he somehow remembers how to hit the net chances are he makes no difference at all.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
This team is woken up. They keep playing like this and we may have to consider actually being limited buyers at the TDL.

The issue becomes what is it we add? Cap situation is horrid, along with limited pieces to move. Yet we need depth scoring and defense.

Ideally we get Hanifin/Tanev/Walker plus forward, but we really shouldn't move Cowan, Knies or our first. Yet something has got to give.

Do we roll with what we have and evaluate this team on how they do in the post season?

Call me crazy, but I think the solution is to stand pat. This is a good team, it reminds me of the year we got Corson and Roberts. They look like they have turned it around. I can't remember the last time we swept St. Louis.

Right now, each player feels like he belongs. It looks like they are standing up for each other out there. The early adversity this team has experienced will bode well into the playoffs.

We need to recuperate our assets anyway. I don't want patchwork teams in Toronto anymore, I want teams built through the draft. That is the only sustainable way we will continue to consistently make the playoffs and have a chance of a breakthrough. I remember those dark years (2006 - 2016). Never again.

Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Good work, kept it pretty simple, Sammy did his job

Leaf defence wasn't scary, but there's a bunch of guys on other teams wondering which of 3 or so guys are going to catch me off guard and take my head off. Carrying or handling pucks in the Leafs end could really hurt, I like the look that's been developing.

Benny, and Caber are always looking for raw meat. Lajoie Riffai might be other guys who can do that kind of job, Tim uses the boards well and creates turnovers.

It might be more than the sum of its parts.

Matthew Knies is a highly skilled hockey player who's big, fast, still learning and still growing and has zero fear. We're lucky to have this guy.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We may have something good with the Brodie-Liljegren pairing. The only real downside to that pair is that they're both pretty soft, though Brodie played beside McCabe last playoffs and still looked bad against Florida. Both TJ and Timmy have performed excellently as a pair in Rielly's absence. A partner for Rielly to allow this duo to continue their play together would be huge.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Your 2C being a 30 goal pace scorer in Spring behind your 3 best guys is significantly huge.

And who cares where the points come from as long as they come. How many series did we throw away off dead PPs? Scoreboard talks at the end of the game.
A 58 point pace in the playoffs as a leaf and putting the puck in the net 2/11 games last playoffs is great. Can’t wait for more from over 13% of our cap.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Stats aren't currently in his favor but how many teams can boast they have a 70 point 800 face-off win 2C for the playoffs ?

The stat we like is he paces 30 goals in the playoffs. This hasn't changed the past 2 seasons. His pace has not encountered a decline to date.
Well, is he a 70pts 800 faceoff win bc of Willie or is he a 70pts 800 faceoff win C?
2C and 3C is a just a name. The key is how many minutes he plays.
He can be call 1C if he leads the C in ice time while playing with Robbie and McMann.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
How come they're not getting Matthews any of these empty netters? He's trying for 70 folks put him out there for the cheap stuff.

He’s just not a very selfish player, but I’d love to see him channel his inner Rob Schneider…

“Why you give him all the easy ones?!”

• Haha
Reactions: Leaf Rocket

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Heres a fun stat:

5v5 D The first 30 games of the season:

Shots allowed/60: 24th fewest in the NHL
High danger chances allowed/60: 28th lowest in the NHL
xGA/60: 26th lowest in the NHL
Goals Allowed/60: 24th fewest in hte NHL

The last 24 games:

Shots allowed/60: Fewest in the NHL
High danger chances allowed/60: 5th fewest in the NHL
xGA/60: 8th lowest in the NHL
Goals Allowed/60: 5th fewest in the NHL

The Leafs went from a bottom ten defensive team to an arguably top 5 one in the league (and more in line with the last few years).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Call me crazy, but I think the solution is to stand pat. This is a good team, it reminds me of the year we got Corson and Roberts. They look like they have turned it around. I can't remember the last time we swept St. Louis.

Right now, each player feels like he belongs. It looks like they are standing up for each other out there. The early adversity this team has experienced will bold well into the playoffs.

We need to recuperate our assets anyway. I don't want patchwork teams in Toronto anymore, I want teams built through the draft. That is the only sustainable way we will continue to consistently make the playoffs and have a chance of a breakthrough. I remember those dark years (2006 - 2016). Never again.

Plus the less tinkering Treliving does perhaps the better

Reactions: danny90

Wendelstache

May 5, 2010
Nice game.

Didn't like Lils game before but the continued minutes seem to be making him upgrade himself every game through dealing with various plays and learning from past mistakes.

Rielly will need better support when he's back so hope they keep it up. They let him down first half
Lils game had a lot to be desire after coming back from injury, but he's been eating up minutes since Rielly suspension and hasnt look that bad to be honest. Which is a surprise as it took Rielly till the playoffs last year to round out his game after high ankle sprain. Lily needs to get tougher in the danger area and calm down when pressured, I think he slowly making a case for that dependable top 4 role.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Heres a fun stat:

5v5 D The first 30 games of the season:

Shots allowed/60: 24th fewest in the NHL
High danger chances allowed/60: 28th lowest in the NHL
xGA/60: 26th lowest in the NHL
Goals Allowed/60: 24th fewest in hte NHL

The last 24 games:

Shots allowed/60: Fewest in the NHL
High danger chances allowed/60: 5th fewest in the NHL
xGA/60: 8th lowest in the NHL
Goals Allowed/60: 5th fewest in the NHL

The Leafs went from a bottom ten defensive team to an arguably top 5 one in the league (and more in line with the last few years).

Damn that’s refreshing to see. Didn’t think their improvement was that vast over that long of a period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad