Leafs win draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Rude

"I'm listening to the *** song!!!"
Oct 15, 2005
Why are people saying Matthews is better than Eichel? What, come on. Matthews would go 3rd last year and everyone knows it. Just because he is going to be drafted by Toronto doesn't mean we forget that Toronto massively overhypes its players.

You do know Matthews had pre-draft hype before the Leafs won the lottery, right? But now that the Leafs have the first pick, Matthews = Barkov. :laugh:

No one knows who is going to be "better". Let's talk in a few years.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
You do know Matthews had pre-draft hype before the Leafs won the lottery, right? But now that the Leafs have the first pick, Matthews = Barkov. :laugh:

Barkov is a stud you should be so lucky...

You do realize that you have a right to be happy without making ridiculous hyperboles?

Fans that are already planning the parade will be ridiculed and rightfully so.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

Yeah, his pre-draft hype is that he would have gone after Jack Eichel and is somewhere around Mackinnon in terms of ability. Which is real good, but not generational talent like McDavid and Eichel.

That hasn't changed just because we know the draft order.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
All year people have been saying Matthews is very close to Eichel and some have said he is better but now that the leafs are likely to pick him, he is an average 1st pick and not even on Eichels level.

At least the Leaf bias is because we have a shot at our franchise 1c finally. I love it. Keep hating , HFBOARDS!

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
Barkov is a stud you should be so lucky...

You do realize that you have a right to be happy without making ridiculous hyperboles?

Either you don't know what the word "hyperbole" means, or you don't read. Matthews was indeed compared to Barkov earlier in this thread.

So, sorry, you were saying????

masarume

Aug 6, 2007
Yes that's right, non-Leafs fans who have witnessed frequent and quality playoff hockey in their home cities, in their lifetime, are really jealous of this last placed club.

Nobody is saying that other teams haven't enjoyed success.
Nobody is also saying that others should be jealous of us.

I'd much rather go on playoff runs but because of choices made by others, that are completely outside of my control, we haven't been.

This was just a thread created to vent our frustrations with years of futility.

If you don't like that, fine. Don't waste your time reading the thread. The title was a dead giveaway.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Yeah, his pre-draft hype is that he would have gone after Jack Eichel and is somewhere around Mackinnon in terms of ability. Which is real good, but not generational talent like McDavid and Eichel.

That hasn't changed just because we know the draft order.

McDavid

Matthews/Eichel

The term "generational" is thrown around so loosely now I don't even know what to make of it. Mcdavid is a generational player. Crosby was a generational player. Matthews and Eichel will be stars but they're not generational. And yes, they're on the same level. Most experts have them neck-and-neck. I realize you're here to rain on our parade but that's reality. They're seen as equally valuable players. Get over it.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Either you don't know what the word "hyperbole" means, or you don't read. Matthews was indeed compared to Barkov earlier in this thread.

So, sorry, you were saying????

The hyperbole I was referring to was the exaggeration exhibited by your fan base as if it's insulting to compare Matthews to Barkov...

You should be very happy if Matthews turns out like Barkov , but they are in fact very different players.

Perhaps being condescending isn't the appropriate approach when your fans have a tendency to enlarge expectations.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Nah opposing teams fans are jealous of the Leafs top prospects. Matthews, Marner, and Nylander is an unbelievable offensive core to build around. The back end is looking nice too with Reilly, Gardiner, and Zaitsev. Keep the salt coming though, we leaf fans love to be hated :)

How is it "unbelievable"? None of them have done anything in the NHL. The only "unbelievable" thing is that you think a bunch of nobodies are a big deal.

Or have your already done the Hall of Fame career projections?

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

The hyperbole comes in with Leaf fans considering the comparison to Barkov that “hate†or “insultingâ€.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
The hyperbole I was referring to was the exaggeration exhibited by your fan base as if it's insulting to compare Matthews to Barkov...

You should be very happy if Matthews turns out like Barkov , but they are in fact very different players.

Perhaps being condescending isn't the appropriate approach when your fans have a tendency to enlarge expectations.

Generalize much?

You quoted me, not the Leaf fanbase.

Barkov is a hell of a hockey player, but I would think fanbases of ANY team would have a little higher expectations on the impact a number one overall pick can have on a franchise.

Not really that hard to figure out. <shrug>

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Leaf fans should be flattered that Matthews is getting comparisons to Barkov, Spezza, Ryan.

No idea why they are getting so frustrated by the comparisons. Its seems like setting themselves up for a huge let down when he isnt the next Tavares.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
All year people have been saying Matthews is very close to Eichel and some have said he is better but now that the leafs are likely to pick him, he is an average 1st pick and not even on Eichels level.

At least the Leaf bias is because we have a shot at our franchise 1c finally. I love it. Keep hating , HFBOARDS!

Agree with this...as comparables from 10 years ago Id say Crosby Malkin Ryan right now we got McDavid Eichel Matthews.

Just Rude

Oct 15, 2005
The hyperbole comes in with Leaf fans considering the comparison to Barkov that “hate†or “insultingâ€.

Yeah, that is what I said. Exactly.

Like I mentioned, with all due respect to Barkov, if that is the comparison you want your #1 overall selection to be, so be it.

I am hoping Matthews is a generational player. Barkov, for all his talent, is not that.

Get it?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Yeah, that is what I said. Exactly.

Like I mentioned, with all due respect to Barkov, if that is the comparison you want your #1 overall selection to be, so be it.

I am hoping Matthews is a generational player. Barkov, for all his talent, is not that.

Get it?

No law against wishful thinking :laugh:

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Agree with this...as comparables from 10 years ago Id say Crosby Malkin Ryan right now we got McDavid Eichel Matthews.

You do realize Matthews has outscored Eichel at every level they've both played in, at the same age, right? McKenize himself said that you can at least expect Matthews to have an Eichel-like rookie Season. I suppose you know more than he does though.

How many games have you seen Matthews play this Season? genuinely curious. I'm guessing quite a few, since you've got a better grasp on him than Bob McKenize himself.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The Leafs won, of course TSN and SN are going to be going mental over it. Can you imagine if they ever win the cup? We're going to be hearing about it from them 3 years after it happens.

The Toronto Sports Network outdid themselves in the lottery coverage. I ended up turning off the telecast because it was ALL Maple Leafs (with teasers about other teams coming up...then immediately another Maple Leaf story). At one point on their home page there were 7 TML stories and 3 about the playoffs. Did enjoy them making fun of Jeff Oneil blatantly cheering for the Leafs but almost all of their team are Toronto homers. Very biased coverage. Thanks goodness for the internet and being able to read other views.

Not to take away from the excitement for Toronto fans. They should be ecstatic right now. Should be a bright future. With the first overall pick they will have 3 of the top 6 or 7 prospects in the world.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Barkov is a hell of a hockey player, but I would think fanbases of ANY team would have a little higher expectations on the impact a number one overall pick can have on a franchise.

Not the realists. The realists are hoping a 1OA can progress the way Barkov has so far. There are always those who gravitate to the new&shiny, but other than that why would you assume something like that just because it was a first overall pick? Granted, Edmonton fans did much the same thing when they were told Yakupov was a weak first overall and many took it personally and they were proven wrong.

No one here is saying Mathews is Yakupov, they are saying he’s a good first overall which as a prospect puts him in the same league guys like Mackinnon, Tavares, Stamkos, Kane and Hall were when they were drafted. At the draft he’d likely have gone ahead of Barkov, but Barkov has elevated his game since so again why are Leaf fans so insecure about the comparison, don’t they know who Barkov is?.

On being told this, Leaf fans are getting defensive, taking it as an insult and calling it hate or jealousy. If you look at that list, it’s anything but. Those are fantiastic hockey players. Eichel may not match them, but as a prospect only McDavid has been better in the last decade, it’s not an insult to suggest Mathews is “only†as good a prospect as Kane or Stamkos.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Last time I checked it was a team game; and both your teams, without Price and Karlsson, are in no position to brag or boast about anything. Or maybe you're still salty because it onwards and upwards for us?..

I'm not being salty at all, good for the Leafs to get a player like Matthews, but you keep using that word without, but the problem is , Price and Karlsson are part of the team, they didn't go anywhere.

It's not particularly difficult to acquire average starting goaltending these days. Star goaltending, yes. But there's really only about 5 teams that have that anyways. And only 1 of them is currently still in the playoffs

No maybe not but Toronto doesn't have that.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Leaf fans should be flattered that Matthews is getting comparisons to Barkov, Spezza, Ryan.

No idea why they are getting so frustrated by the comparisons. Its seems like setting themselves up for a huge let down when he isnt the next Tavares.

I'd much prefer him to be the next Barkov as opposed to one way Johnny and how is Ryan even in the ****ing discussion?

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
Poor kid. Toronto is the second worst place to have your name called by in the draft next to Edmonton. Winnipeg is pretty bad too as a city but they already have a better team and a brighter future, without the knobheads in the media and the fan base that believes every new prospect is the second coming of Christ. You can tell Matthews wanted to be on an American team.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
This thread is rich. Haters are really, really running thin on things to ridicule/minimize about the Leafs.

Leafs will draft a high potential player and add him to their high potential prospect pool, with high end staff. :yo:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad