Leafs win draft lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No law against wishful thinking :laugh:

Exactly. Why don't we wait and see how Matthews does? Fans will always take exception one side or the other, as those who are lucky enough to see a first OA in their midst are sure to have high expectations. Nothing wrong with that. Toronto has seen its share of misfortune, so why not enjoy and project for the best. If some opposing team fans feel Matthews is not a generational talent, that's OK too. We can't know for certain until Matthews gets to the Show. So enjoy the hype, whatever side of the fence you're on.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Winning a cup won in 6 team league is a different accomplishment than winning a cup won in a 30 team league. Being proud of a teams history is one thing. The poster that I responded to was pounding their chest and talking down to another fanbase about something that hasn't been accomplished in 50 years.

Moving on... I'm thrilled that Matthews is in the division. I miss the days of Sabres/Leafs games being intense. Both Teams ehading in the right direction should refuel the rivalry.

it was way different because of just about zero movement of players and basically having your players locked up from age 12 till retirement

this is why toronto and montreal ruled that old roost, most of the US teams couldn't or wouldn't pay for scouts in canada or if they had only a very few, the 2 Canadian teams had pro scouts plus every tom dick and harry calling them with tips on local kids

a 50 dollar bill and a new pair of skates got a kids signature on a C form and he was all your's

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Leaf fans should be flattered that Matthews is getting comparisons to Barkov, Spezza, Ryan.

No idea why they are getting so frustrated by the comparisons. Its seems like setting themselves up for a huge let down when he isnt the next Tavares.

Jim Benning just said Matthews is the closest thing to Tavares since 2009.

Some scouts called Matthews generational, not fans.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-matthews-to-kopitar-and-toews-220346354.html

scouts see a player every bit as generational as McDavid or Eichel in Matthews.

Bob McKenzie said scouts feel Eichel/McDavid are very similar.

He outscored Eichel at various levels of competition including the draft year WJC and USDP.

Matthews is just as good as Eichel. The only reason you are saying we should be happy with Spezza/Ryan are because he is going to be drafted by Toronto.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Let's cut through the BS and lay the facts out on the table again:

Fact: Most scouts feel Matthews is probably not a generational talent.
Fact: Most Leafs fans don't think he's in the McDavid tier.
Fact: Most Leafs fans will be happy if he becomes as good as Barkov.
Fact: Most scouts feel he'll be BETTER than Barkov.
Fact: Most scouts feel Matthews will be about as good as Eichel.

These are pretty much the consensus views. When you start a post under the premise that any of these are false, you look like a fool.

There's a word for those types of people. Fyllophobia: the fear of a leaf or of leaves. Look it up yourself.

That said... SUCK IT LEAF HATERS!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He is a much better prospect the Ryan was and will be a much better player. He's very comparable to eichel. Spezza isn't a insult too me as he's gone nearly ppg fo his career. I just think Matthews will play at that 80 pt level for longer than Spezza did if he can avoid injuries that Spezza was unable to avoid. Spezza was a top 5 center in his prime and a great player . I think eichel and Matthews can be better than him but Spezza was a elite player better than every 2nd over pick since his draft except for Malkin.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto will be a fun team to watch in a few years. Hopefully the Flyers-Leafs can rekindle that rivalry from back in the late 90s-04 now that both teams are on the upswing. Those games/series were a total blast!

:laugh: not for me. we always lost!

honestly, I don't understand why the majority can't just let the leafs fans have a moment of happy. like for the most part y'all had more than enough amno to shoot Leafs fans down and they deserve it. We've been such a joke.

things are changing and we've got some happy, just.. dang, let us have it.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Leaf fans should be flattered that Matthews is getting comparisons to Barkov, Spezza, Ryan.

No idea why they are getting so frustrated by the comparisons. Its seems like setting themselves up for a huge let down when he isnt the next Tavares.

I think most Leaf fans are just going to go ahead and listen to scouts and experts who are not on HFboards. It's not that it's insulting to compare Barkov, Spezza and Ryan to Matthews, it's just not the comparison we've heard all along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad