Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 5-4 OT

horner

May 22, 2007
So….I was expecting nylander to slow down a bit

Looks like dude either wants to get paid or just figured out what consistency means
I think willy has grown into a man, the same with our other top players.
They are all playing a 200' game.
Keep it when you dit , the others will follow.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
I don't agree .
I think Bettman and Roger's would like nothing better than to have the Leafs win the cup.
The amount of money going into to the shared revenue would be crazy.
Some refs suck
A Winnipeg player got carved up last night as well.
Bettman favours US teams and has talked US expansion nonstop since he was appointed. Look at his Phoenux love affair....he hates Canadian based teams and it shows.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Perfectly said …..
10 of the past 14 Cup winners got outhit through their winning run.
The two most successful teams of the cap era (Chicago and Pittsburgh) were among the most outhit in their runs.
The team that outhit their opponent the most in those playoffs lost in the 1st round 14 out of 14 times - 10 of those times in 5 games or less.
You may personally enjoy seeing people go boom, but it's pretty irrelevant to winning.
In fact, it correlates more with losing.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Holl just didn't play defense on the ROR goal. Sammy was swimming a bit more than before. Think it is just rust. Personally, I think Sammy is the type of goalie that needs to play regularly to be at his best. Tandem with Murray might work too.
So far " sammy " looks like a bad house league goalie. He is constantly off balance, cannot even go post to post on his skates. At least 2 of the goals were his inability to just stand on his skates.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
I don't see any hips there :laugh:

I see some hips here though

ThreadbareInfatuatedLeafbird-max-1mb.gif

Those hips don't lie.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Team can now win even with tender having an OFF night .. sign of a good team by friends .. even refs did their game management thing and it did not stop us either .. another sign of a good team .. but remember folks this is still pond hockey season .. Holl and Benn need to come out for Rielly and Sandin .. Holl for sure his hockey skills at AHL level just don't work .. Benn v Sandin I go with rook right now .. friends our top 4 D are rock solid Gio, Lily, Brodie and Timmins omg they are playing outstanding .. Keefer can't take Timmins out .. great pickup by Dubie .. give him credit where it is deserved .. but OMG folks Willy is on another level .. i love da SPEED .. da acceleration and then da flat out blow bye speed over Tarasenko (who is fast) wow man that was a XMAS present for me .. that was a playoff level play flat out SPEED and then use your skill at end on deke and backhand .. not many in league can do that play folks .. in fact very very few . GLG

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
People will continue trying to tell me Wes McCauley is a good ref and I will continue to laugh. Guy is dog shit he just turned himself into a meme. Having a likeable personality =/= being good at your job.

yea am done with that asshat too especially after what he did to us in the playoffs. F-him !

Those hips don't lie.

if the ginnie gave me a wish…. :laugh:

cause that’s the only way it will ever happen for me lol

Reactions: Cleetus

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'm not someone who follows off ice stories but tonight I read that Wes McCauley is the brother-in-law of David Frost. Knowing that there is weird history between Danton/Keefe and Frost, could this be the reason we get consistently jobbed by McCauley? The league should be looking into this.
Whether or not any of that is true or plays a factor we'll probably never know. But my feeling is, and always will be, that there are biases that exist because the refs are human, and boy are we a flawed species. We are petty and deceitful even when we do not mean to be. And sometimes when we are aware of these biases, we try to behave in a way to even them out which actually takes you to the other side, again, without actually trying to do that.

So yea, it is completely believable. Does this exists on vs the Leafs? Of course not. Do the Leafs have the biggest fan base? Yup. Do the Leafs have the biggest haters fan base? Yup. So imo we get both ends non stop.

All that considered, things could be way worse than they actually are.

I am patiently waiting for a roboticized officiating crew that have no biases. /s

Reactions: Metroid

Lilou

t-.-t
Oct 29, 2008
Scarborough, ON
wow they missed a numberof obvious highsticks but that one on aston was hilarious. How the hell did they miss that. They really did their best to give stlouis the win.

Reactions: glue

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Refs and some goals Samsonov shouldve had kept this close.

I’m getting kinda concerned about the PP though. We should be up there near the top with the Oilers and Buffalo but for some reason we’re middle of the pack.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
yea am done with that asshat too especially after what he did to us in the playoffs. F-him !

if the ginnie gave me a wish…. :laugh:

cause that’s the only way it will ever happen for me lol
Wes was our only TO ref until last year when Bettman finally hired another one .. 25+ years .. incredible .. but we finally have a 2nd TO ref in league to take over from Wes when he retires soon

Reactions: PromisedLand

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
3 Stars are hard to pick in a game this sloppy
but here goes nothin'

1st Star Calle Bongcough This was the best game as a Leaf with a goal and three points, all energy, lot's of hard work at both ends, signing him may be one of the best moves of any of Dubas off-seasons' acquisitions

2nd Star Sammy's post game presser, describing his game as "not too perfect" and really that's all you need to know!

3rd Star Justin Faulk 26 minutes last night of pure unadulterated NHL Defenceman, which is how I'd really like to see at least 3 out of our 6 play 85% of the time

special mention to "Punch" Holmberg for totally neutralizing ROR behind the Leafs net and forcing a turnover, that was great hockeying and it's something he does with most of his minutes and is what the team needs from everyone if they want to win anything

Willie Nys' OT winner was a work of art, seeing Tarasenko look to the bench to get off, seeing him vulnerable, and jumping on him, one handing him to not just get by but using Tara as leverage to gain a step and a half all the while maintaining control of the puck, all this while Will was also close to being gassed.

On to the next

GLG

Last edited:
Reactions: TMLAM34

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Like soccer, I firmly believe the Nhl, Nba, Nfl etc are rigged ( Actually I own s book titled "Rigged" about Soccer that goes into great detail/proof of how its been done over the years). Bettman controls the Refs & can have penalties called on demand. I am losing faith in hockey results....sickening.

It's certainly rigged but I doubt it's against any team in specific, more to keep their gambling sponsors happy by controlling spreads via game management. It probably hurts us more than most other teams because of playstyle, they're simply never going to call penalties fairly if it means we're drawing 2x the hooking/interference/tripping calls compared to the opponent. Boston did the right thing and leaned into the officiating, they'll kill you on both special teams and use the hesitancy to call too many defensive penalties to cheat defensively at ES as much as they can.

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
It's certainly rigged but I doubt it's against any team in specific, more to keep their gambling sponsors happy by controlling spreads via game management. It probably hurts us more than most other teams because of playstyle, they're simply never going to call penalties fairly if it means we're drawing 2x the hooking/interference/tripping calls compared to the opponent. Boston did the right thing and leaned into the officiating, they'll kill you on both special teams and use the hesitancy to call too many defensive penalties to cheat defensively at ES as much as they can.
In the end, the winners are predetermined.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad