Post-Game Talk: Leafs Win 4:2! Hanta Yo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Looking at the analytics it seems like the marleau line got destroyed in this one. And iirc last game he played center the same thing happened.

Don't think we want to keep on playing him at C. We should probably move Willy there instead.

Reactions: david999

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Our D zone coverage had been bad all year, and everybody but a few stragglers on here understand that.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
you think? Andy just had his best game of the year in one of our worst defensive performances.

On the flip side he has had more bad games than good with our defense. Thank the Gods they played the Wild last night and not the Lightning because if they had, the Stamkos line would have taken him to the woodshed like they did Martin Jones last night.

My point is that it is not always Andy's fault and for all those ripping his play he will not look as bad when we fix our play in our end.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Did you miss the 2nd goal against, where the shot was right in his chest and it popped out? Even Andersen was mad at himself at that one... so I'm not sure why we're excusing it when even he would agree that shouldn't have happened.

Those things happen to the best of goaltenders though. Not a big deal.

We're excusing it because when the goalie steals you the game and demonstrates exemplary rebound control on 30+ saves, it is idiotic to fault him for not catching one shot that came off his chest.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
For the very first time since Matthews entered the league we got to see Hyman with 2 different players other than Auston and Willie on his line.

Hyman made a great play setting up Marleau for a goal, so at least now if nothing else we have a glimpse of what Hyman can do without Matthews and he did for Marleau what he does for his regular line.

Agreed. If I was Babs, I would just play Marleau with Hyman and Nylander until Matthews is ready to return.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I know Andersen was not that great in October but the fact is that our defensive coverage is awful and he is not getting a lot of support from 2nd and 3rd "D" units. This team has major flaws that need to be addressed and with this team we are probably going to make the playoffs but winning the division and going deep is not going to be a cake walk. We are getting out shot / out played almost every night and the teams are exploiting our defensive weaknesses

Bagge

May 4, 2013
Copenhagen
is your princess still an Australian? i remember before i left Australia, it was huge news that the prince married an australian. I should say huge news in australia probably not that big news there?

Mary, i think that was her name

Mary is going to be our queen some day, unless some minor revolution takes place and overrun the establishment and get rid of the monarchy.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
My point is that it is not always Andy's fault and for all those ripping his play he will not look as bad when we fix our play in our end.
Agree, because, lets look at this from another angle.

The garbage goals, the Leafs let in a lot of them, along with screen shot.

The California road trip and the last two home games, how many shots, did Andersen get beat on? Just straight shots, not deflections, screens, or rebounds?

That's 5 games he played, and straight shots that beat him, probably only 3 to 5 I think. The two home games, only one shot beat him straight, and seemed like everyone piled on top of him, including me, lol. That was the tying goal 3-3 against LV.

If he sees it, he lets in only 1 goal a game, that shot that beats him.

The deflections, the screens, and rebounds, that is all team play. Rebounds tend to be unpredictable, you do not know where it bounces.

How do the Leafs limit the screens, the deflections, the rebound goals?

Simple, reduce the shots on goal like you're saying. But they never do. Reduce the shots on goal, and there will be fewer deflections, screens, rebounds winding up behind the goalie.

The Leafs have two defenseman. The other team has three forwards. Logically, they will get shots on goal because your defense is outnumbered. Well duh, the forward is suppose to help out.

That is just not how it works in this forum. They will blame the goalie, then the defense.

:naughty:

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
Looking at the analytics it seems like the marleau line got destroyed in this one. And iirc last game he played center the same thing happened.

Don't think we want to keep on playing him at C. We should probably move Willy there instead.
My advise is for once stop looking so much at numbers -- don't you ever get sick of it? Enjoy the win and celebrate with friends over a drink, go outside. right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad