Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in the SO -- Double tap

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
For a team that was lucky to win and that everyone seems to hate, they are tied for 8th overall in the entire league (tied for second in the Eastern conference) for fewest number of regulation losses. But I guess that doesn't count because a guy on the radio doesn't think they look "serious" enough.
I love the Leafs, but I hate this current edition of the team. Lack of compete, energy, and accountability. People who watched that game and feel they played well for most of it, must have been watching a different game. Woll saved their bacon, and that's ok, because goalies have done that enough to us. But that doesn't mask how poorly we have played most of the season.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Thought Reaves played his best game of the season in this one. Low bar, I know.
LOL very low. He wasn't noticeable till he offered to sit in the penalty box for the too many men penalty. I wanted to see him go after Bennett, but instead he left it up to Domi. I'm telling you, this guy isn't doing what he was brought in to do, and if that's the case, McMann or Steeves all day.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
88 should not do what he did, why did he do that for :huh::huh::huh:

He was thrown a pass, if he doesn't take it, it's icing so blame Rielly there. But the player didn't even jump on anyway. He only jumped on when Tavares went for the change. They never had 6 on the ice.

Reactions: Smif

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Considering Florida was on the second of a back-to-back and the night before in Ottawa was about as brutal and physical as an NHL game can be these days, let's keep things in check.

Toronto was pretty awful for much of the game - At least until fatigue likely set in for the Panthers. Looking at these two teams today if they met in the playoffs I don't see any reason to be optimistic about the Leafs doing better than last time.

On the positive side, Woll was incredible and it was entertaining. Also nice to see Keefe go off on the bench for once. If he ever lays into one of the stars like that I'll really be impressed.

florida outplayed toronto easily in 1st period but the rest of the rest, leafs was the best team of 2 on the ice and yeah both goalie was pretty great. thats the history of this game

What i didn't like was the pp, leafs was too soft. its fine try to etablish our system or whatever but the most important are to keep the puck on your stick. When i saw jt all alone in the corner on a 1v2 battle and saw marner sticking in the opposite side of the net+ nylander sticking and leafs blue line with no body coming to help jt....that play should be a 3v2 battle when youre in pp, not a 1v2 battle

Reactions: cupdreaming

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Great to get two points. Terrible first 27 minutes or so, but Woll was fantastic and kept us in the game. Nylander and Rielly had good games. Gregor had a fantastic game too, and we'll take it. Your fourth liner being the offensive star isn't something to depend on, but it will happen once in a while.

It was positive to see the team push back, and work had the last 33 minutes or so...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
LOL very low. He wasn't noticeable till he offered to sit in the penalty box for the too many men penalty. I wanted to see him go after Bennett, but instead he left it up to Domi. I'm telling you, this guy isn't doing what he was brought in to do, and if that's the case, McMann or Steeves all day.
I thought he was noticeable. Finished a few checks, got in on the forecheck, didn't cause any harm.
Not seeing how he 'left it up to Domi'.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Of all the nights to rag on Rielly, I don't think tonight makes sense. He was just playing at a high rate and made some crucial stops. Think he tracked Cousins breaking away and poked the puck out calm as can be. No penalty.
I agree that my timing of ragging about Rielly was bad. It's very true that he has played as well as he ever has to start this season.

However, when you have the forward power in 4 $11M players, your powerplay should be able to score almost at will. IMHO, our Leafs powerplay should have won that game in regulation last night.

I feel that we lack a huge shot from the point that a true #1 D should possess. A heavy, hard, and accurate point shot would add a missing weapon that our highly skilled forwards could take advantage of.

Opposing teams can concentrate on covering and stopping our 'skill' forwards with very little concern, or fear, about powerful shots from our #1 D player.

I can imagine how easy it would be for Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Taveras, to score goals on tap ins on rebounds from forcing opposing goalies to STOP heavy shots from the point.

Also, more space would be made for our 'skill' forwards if opposing penalty killers needed to actually cover our points more at all times.

I very much appreciate what we have in Morgan Rielly. I hope he retires as a Leaf. I just think he is more of a 1B, and not a true 1A D player.

JMHO.

• Love
Reactions: mikeyz

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I agree that my timing of ragging about Rielly was bad. It's very true that he has played as well as he ever has to start this season.

However, when you have the forward power in 4 $11M players, your powerplay should be able to score almost at will. IMHO, our Leafs powerplay should have won that game in regulation last night.

I feel that we lack a huge shot from the point that a true #1 D should possess. A heavy, hard, and accurate point shot would add a missing weapon that our highly skilled forwards could take advantage of.

Opposing teams can concentrate on covering and stopping our 'skill' forwards with very little concern, or fear, about powerful shots from our #1 D player.

I can imagine how easy it would be for Matthews, Marner, Nylander, and Taveras, to score goals on tap ins on rebounds from forcing opposing goalies to STOP heavy shots from the point.

Also, more space would be made for our 'skill' forwards if opposing penalty killers needed to actually cover our points more at all times.

I very much appreciate what we have in Morgan Rielly. I hope he retires as a Leaf. I just think he is more of a 1B, and not a true 1A D player.

JMHO.

pp didn't struggle because the area where leafs was taking shot but because florida won every battle for the puck.

unstead of getting 2- 3 player to win battle, it was always 1 player most of the time against 2 florida player and florida won battle.

irs hard to create scoring chance without the puck and/or from your own zone

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We've played some really bad hockey to start this year, we've had lots of injuries to our defense, Matthews/Marner haven't been as good as they usually are and our goaltending has been a huge question mark.

We're pretty fortunate to have a record of 11-9 at this point.

For the record

Last season Leafs were 10-5-5 for 25 points after 20 games vs 11-6-3 for 25 points at the same time.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Reactions: Buds17

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This game was the definition of mixed emotions.

I hated our first period. The goal against might have been one of the worst defensive breakdowns I have seen all year from this team, and that is saying a lot. Obviously the spotlight immediately shifts to Willy misjudging the contact initially, but that's gunna happen from time to time. WiIl has been our MVP all season, and he is just as human as anyone else. The defensive structure beyond that, topped by the pathetic attempt at a backcheck from Matthews really pissed me off. What more could Joe do on that play. How many point blank shots in front of the blue paint are we going to make Joe save. Truly unacceptable.

We then proceeded to play a relatively ok to good game thereafter. We battled adversity with 5D, PK came up big in some crucial moments, and Woller was outstanding.

Our PP was obviously unsuccessful, but I am not sure they looked as bad as the results. Maybe a bit disconnected, but not as bad as an 0/6 PP would indicate. At least not in my opinion. But at the end of the day, if you get 12 mins of PP, including a double minor, you gotta find a way to get 1.

OT was disjointed largely because of the PK to start it off. But there was also just some sloppy plays that really could/should have ended the game for us. We end up catching a break in the shootout, but it was not exactly how you draw it up.

It's hard to complain about 2pts, and you really gotta bury that win just as quick as you'd bury that loss. Lots of work left to be done. We still need to put a full 60 together. We are a 1/4 of the season done and I think the game against the Canucks is realistically the only game where they even cam close to a complete 60.

5 regulation wins over the first 20 games is not good enough from this team. I don't care how many injuries they've dealt with. Time to step up like all good teams do.

Reactions: Al14

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
For the record

Last season Leafs were 10-5-5 for 25 points after 20 games vs 11-6-3 for 25 points at the same time.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
More wins than last season, but because they aren't all in regulation they don't count. They aren't serious wins.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He was thrown a pass, if he doesn't take it, it's icing so blame Rielly there. But the player didn't even jump on anyway. He only jumped on when Tavares went for the change. They never had 6 on the ice.
JT was slow getting off, but since neither he nor the player coming on touched the puck, I don't think it was the right call.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Great to get two points. Terrible first 27 minutes or so, but Woll was fantastic and kept us in the game. Nylander and Rielly had good games. Gregor had a fantastic game too, and we'll take it. Your fourth liner being the offensive star isn't something to depend on, but it will happen once in a while.

It was positive to see the team push back, and work had the last 33 minutes or so...

Agreed. I get we are all not happy with the overall play this year so far, but credit where it’s due. This was a very physical game, they got dummied in the first period and could have easily wilted after getting behind. They didn’t. I actually feel like, on several fronts, this is the kind of win that can bring a team together

Last edited:

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I thought he was noticeable. Finished a few checks, got in on the forecheck, didn't cause any harm.
Not seeing how he 'left it up to Domi'.
I wanted him to come out set the tone. First opportunity to get at Bennett and hit him hard and force him into a fight…that’s what I want from him. That’s why given his very limited hockey skills that he was brought in for. Finish a few checks is good but tbh that did nothing. The team was moribund. Domi will engage but he isn’t a fighter. Get rid of him and put in McMann. After all, a fighter who doesn’t fight is useless.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
More wins than last season, but because they aren't all in regulation they don't count. They aren't serious wins.
3v3 OT and gimmick SO wins that don't exist during the real season playoff time, 9 of Leafs 20 games have been decided by events that DON'T exist during the playoffs.

Ever heard of a "double tap goal" called back during the playoffs? :wg:

How can deciding regular season games by rule changes that exist only now to break tie games and not the playoffs be counted as equals as serious wins?

Toronto nearly got swept by Florida in round #2 last year, so does a Shoot-out win yesterday make you feel better about Leafs playoff chances in a rematch?

Reactions: myleafs

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
there's 12 teams on that list that the leafs are at the bottom of, but that's nitpicking if you're rounding to the nearest multiple of 5.

They are tied for 9th in points percentage which is the best way to compare uneven games played

Reactions: Duffman955

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
3v3 OT and gimmick SO wins that don't exist during the real season playoff time, 9 of Leafs 20 games have been decided by events that DON'T exist during the playoffs.

How can deciding regular season games by rule changes that exist only now to break tie games and not the playoffs be counted as equals as serious wins?

Toronto nearly got swept by Florida in round #2 last year, so does a Shoot-out win yesterday make you feel better about Leafs playoff chances in a rematch?
The idea that there is any relationship between a team's performance in 3 on 3 or shootouts and playoff success is ridiculous. The regular season is an exercise in points accumulation. Get as many of them as you can, however you can get them. The Leafs have as many of them this season after 20 games as they had after 20 games last season, but the amount of puerile moaning on this board about the players not being "serious" enough is bizarre.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton

We know how the playoffs work. The good news is we're at the same amount of points as last year at the 20 game mark and we haven't played anywhere close to our best hockey yet. Seems injuries are worse this year too.

Reactions: Duffman955

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
We know how the playoffs work. The good news is we're at the same amount of points as last year at the 20 game mark and we haven't played anywhere close to our best hockey yet. Seems injuries are worse this year too.
And by game 82 when the team has again finished with around 110 points, no one will care about how many regulation wins got them there. I appreciate that it represents one of the tie-breakers for seeding purposes, but that hardly seems like something to be concerned about.

Reactions: Smif and Duffman955

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I wanted him to come out set the tone. First opportunity to get at Bennett and hit him hard and force him into a fight…that’s what I want from him. That’s why given his very limited hockey skills that he was brought in for. Finish a few checks is good but tbh that did nothing. The team was moribund. Domi will engage but he isn’t a fighter. Get rid of him and put in McMann. After all, a fighter who doesn’t fight is useless.
It doesnt make sense why he’s in the lineup when mcmann did nothing to come out lol maybe their showcasing reevo? I don’t get what’s going on that fourth line with him in it is unsafe trade him and kampf play holmberg go after an actual defensemen trade Brodie and re shape this thing I’m really nervous about timmins being ready to contribute this year post season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad