Post-Game Talk: Leafs win 2-1 in the SO -- Double tap

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Were they though? First period was awful, Leafs were good in the 2nd. 3rd was pretty even? Both teams had chances.

It was a pretty hard fought game. Fights, hits, emotions.

Sometimes you gotta grind one out and they did, right? We don't care if they win or lose if there's an effort?
Exactly, now get 34, 16, and 88, and 91 to put forth some effort……….

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Thinking the cage caused Marner to lose sight of the puck on that shootout attempt.
Pretty funny seeing him toe pick though
Should have lost the cage, it’s a shootout, highly unlikely he could get injured……..

Reactions: ACC1224

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Everyone? Seems like a bit of an over exaggeration no? Tied for 8th? Maybe take a look again, they are tied for 13th ... 2 points out of 15th OA and 4 points out of 24th OA, a bad week and we are in the bottom quartile of the league. What you think to be true and what is actually true are two universe's apart.

Toronto has less regulation wins than EDMONTON... you know that team that fired its coach and sent its starter to the minors.

None of this is relevent in November. None of it. All that matters with this team is what happens in April to June.

This core has been ROW Kings and it didn't matter. Division winner, didn't matter. Hell, Florida themselves was the 8th seed last year. Do you think they were an 8th seed playing great hockey all season?

So long as theyre in a playoff spot I don't care.

Reactions: SwollenGoat

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs are top 10 in the league.

Hurray?

Points percentage until all teams have played 82.

1701262337730.png

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Everyone? Seems like a bit of an over exaggeration no? Tied for 8th? Maybe take a look again, they are tied for 13th ... 2 points out of 15th OA and 4 points out of 24th OA, a bad week and we are in the bottom quartile of the league. What you think to be true and what is actually true are two universe's apart.

Toronto has less regulation wins than EDMONTON... you know that team that fired its coach and sent its starter to the minors.
You may want to reread my post. Look at number of losses, not points.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Considering Florida was on the second of a back-to-back and the night before in Ottawa was about as brutal and physical as an NHL game can be these days, let's keep things in check.

Toronto was pretty awful for much of the game - At least until fatigue likely set in for the Panthers. Looking at these two teams today if they met in the playoffs I don't see any reason to be optimistic about the Leafs doing better than last time.

On the positive side, Woll was incredible and it was entertaining. Also nice to see Keefe go off on the bench for once. If he ever lays into one of the stars like that I'll really be impressed.
Once again the Leafs “spotted” the opponent the first period.……..

Reactions: kevsh

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Once again the Leafs “spotted” the opponent the first period.……..
Yeah once they killed off that 4 minute penalty they seemed to play a little more determined. Florida may have started running out of gas then as well.
Inconsistency seems to be this teams identity

Reactions: Al14 and rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah once they killed off that 4 minute penalty they seemed to play a little more determined. Florida may have started running out of gas then as well.
Inconsistency seems to be this teams identity
Most of the supporting cast showed up, Domi showed some team spirit with some dirtiness he eventually paid for when Bennett seriously tuned him up, luckily he’s Tie’s son and nothing can hurt that head imo……..

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Most of the supporting cast showed up, Domi showed some team spirit with some dirtiness he eventually paid for when Bennett seriously tuned him up, luckily he’s Tie’s son and nothing can hurt that head imo……..
Bennett was a bit of a wild man there but I don’t think he ever really connected with Domi. He threw a lot of punches though.

Gregor is a beauty though. Never really understood those moaning about losing Lafferty to sign Gregor.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I think he just isn't finishing. And no one is finishing his passes. He has hit the post 3 times, Bertuzzi has hit it twicw on passes from him. He set up Matthews today who hit the knob of the stick.

Those were all going in during the streak. He was pretty timid in the first period today but not for 3 games
I’m not talking about his missed chances. He just hasn’t looked engaged.

Reactions: Jojalu

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Leafs are top 10 in the league.

Hurray?

Points percentage until all teams have played 82.

View attachment 775012

It’s kind of wild to think we are tied for 9th in the league and we really have only strung together 2 or 3 games where you can say they made a consistent effort through the game. Performances in specific games by nylander and Matthews mostly have really masked how poor our first 20 games have been.

We are spending far too much time in our own end of the ice because as was plainly obvious to everyone this offseason our D group is not good enough and will need to be upgraded.

Last edited:
Reactions: ULF_55 and ACC1224

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Knies’ effort almost rubbed off on Matthews as the game went on which was nice to see.

I’ve mentioned this line before, but I think you need to put Matthews in between two players who can play big, physical and hunt down pucks. It helps get Matthews more engaged and when he’s engaged he’s very dangerous. Playing with Marner and Nylander, they try to be too pretty most of the time.

Knies - Matthews - Bertuzzi

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
To look at the positives from this game is the 1 GA … strong game from Woll and solid defensively, including the PK (especially in OT).

Considering how much their leaking goals this season this was nice to see Florida’s big guns for shut down.

I’ll take Marner and Matthews’ worst hockey now if it means they show up as the games get more important.

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Went to take an angry piss....notices my phone didn't pop up a notification of Panthers winning, thought something was fishy, came back out, game still on.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Pathetic effort by the “elite gang” with the exception of Reilly. Florida looked bagged in the second half of that game, and they still couldn’t score.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
We've played some really bad hockey to start this year, we've had lots of injuries to our defense, Matthews/Marner haven't been as good as they usually are and our goaltending has been a huge question mark.

We're pretty fortunate to have a record of 11-9 at this point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It’s kind of wild to think we are tied for 9th in the league and we really have only strung together 2 or 3 games where you can say they made a consistent effort through the game. Performances in specific games by nylander and Matthews mostly have really masked how poor our first 20 games have been.

We are spending far too much time in our own end of the ice because as was plainly obvious to everyone this offseason our D group is not good enough and will need to be upgraded.
If the playoffs started today the Leafs would be Wildcard #1

1701270459208.png

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Friiig
I was one digit off, for winning the 50/50 draw lolol

But hey we won. Maurice mad
Step it up leafs!

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Thought Reaves played his best game of the season in this one. Low bar, I know.

Reactions: rumman

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Should have lost the cage, it’s a shootout, highly unlikely he could get injured……

True, but he almost did get injured on that shootout.
Of course the part that we'll never know is if he would've tripped up had he not been wearing the cage ... :huh:

Reactions: rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad