Friedman: Leafs willing to move 1st round pick.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They have D and G issues, if they don't try to fix them at this deadline, you may as well fire Treliving and admit you are fine just being a good team, with holes.

You can't fix all of the holes this team has at the deadline, or put another way: Not with the assets they have to deal with.
They are ranked 22nd in the league in regulation wins. That's a sign that this year, for whatever reason(s) - and there are lots of reasons, they don't have it.

I get the mentality of going all-in while they have guys like Matthews & Marner but that doesn't mean every single season you mortgage the future on a mediocre team with no realistic shot of going deep. Just look at last year's team that was by every measure significantly better than this group. Dubas went seriously all-in getting ROR, Acciari, McCabe, Schenn & Lafferty at the TD and they struggled to get by a clearly past-its-prime Tampa team before getting smoked by the Panthers.

Personally, I'd rather keep the few remaining assets if/when in the next few years this team really does look like a contender. This year ain't it, not by a long shot.

However, I do think that Treliving (read: Shanahan & MLSE) agree with your take 100% and I fully expect the Leafs are going to be buyers this year and every season that Mitch, Auston & Willy are in Toronto.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
That's the thing people keep saying their defense sucks, and while I freely admit It's not perfect by any stretch, until recently Samsonov had an 862 save%, and while he's been better recently It's still 879.

Neither 862 or 879 is a defense problem.

That will NEVER be a defense problem that's a goalie issue at that point, that's a result of not getting a save.

If you leave your goalie out to dry, he is going to give up goals and his save percentage will go down.

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
I wish Shanny had been less politically smart, otherwise he would’ve been kicked out long time ago. Licking board members’ ass helps him to thrive in mediocrity and lack of success.

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
....... Are we even in a position to spend more? at some point we have to restock the cupboards.
year after year after year of spending should have caught up to us by now.
We’re actually in pretty good shape. Definitely don’t have full cupboards but it’s also not empty.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
We’re actually in pretty good shape. Definitely don’t have full cupboards but it’s also not empty.
lol well Ill agree to disagree. takes what 5-6 goals to win a game now? moving a 1st or even two wont make enough of a difference.

we are extremely front loaded and its going to get even worse for atleast one season.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
lol well Ill agree to disagree. takes what 5-6 goals to win a game now? moving a 1st or even two wont make enough of a difference.

we are extremely front loaded and its going to get even worse for atleast one season.

just start to add a real #2 who can log 23-25 minute and will will already see a huge difference..

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
You're right, I did overlook the Ryan Reaves signing. But at $1.3m, he was a guy who could easily be buried. And it's not like Lafferty was setting the world on fire in Toronto either. At that point they essentially replaced him on the roster with Noah Gregor. IIRC they were also giving Minten some games. You'll have to excuse, I'm not a Leafs fan by any means.

When it comes to the Dubas fallout, yes. A team with an aging top four D core, shallow bottom six depth and a questionable situation in net. The Leafs entered this season with very little left in terms of tradable draft capital over the next few seasons. $18m gets eaten up very quickly when you look at where it needed to be allocated.

Treliving found value on a limited UFA market and minimized his risk by signing short-term contracts because there were a couple fairly important player extensions on the horizon. Getting locked into any pricy long-term mistakes could've prevented them from having the flexibility to improve in the future.

This was a half-measure year where the focus has always been getting Matthews and Nylander signed.
Bullshit! They could have had Gregor and Lafferty.
4th liners don’t set the world on fire they quietly do their jobs.
Reaves is on the team, Lafferty is not.
Quality depth was moved so a useless piece of trash could be signed.
And wait for it

Signed for 3 years for more money.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Team is in try to win now mode! Why on earth do fans care if they use future assets to try and WIN the CUP????? You would rather they do nothing, maybe still not win, just so they can have a late 1st round pick, most of whom are lucky to turn into a decent 3rd/4th liner or 3rd pair D, and many are nothing at all?

They have D and G issues, if they don't try to fix them at this deadline, you may as well fire Treliving and admit you are fine just being a good team, with holes.

I think the sentiment is not trading a 1st for a rental. Trading a 1st in return for an asset which could be a long term fix is something that’s worth doing. Trading a 1st at the deadline for a rental has proven to not work for the Leafs on multiple occasions.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
I think the sentiment is not trading a 1st for a rental. Trading a 1st in return for an asset which could be a long term fix is something that’s worth doing. Trading a 1st at the deadline for a rental has proven to not work for the Leafs on multiple occasions.
Blues do appreciate stenberg. Orielly was a beast for uou guys.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As a Leaf fan, would somebody tell me who the player is that could be acquired at the TDL for our 1st, that would be the difference maker? 'Cause we need a few of them: a LW, C, a couple of D and a G you can trust spring to mind. It ain't our year, sell off, gather what you can and go into FA with a treasure chest of money, hope that Robertson and Knies with a year's experience can improve, that a Minten or Cowan make the leap, and that Tre does a better job than this past season's FA market.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
The way some Leafs fans talk about Samsonov I'm starting to think they don't actually watch the games or understand how to rate a goalie.

I'm not saying Samsonov has been great and he did have a bad stretch but he's been a decent goalie who looks a lot worse on paper because Woll stood on his head until injured. You can't expect a goalie to play like Woll did when he was hot. The problem is still defense. Lots of lost puck battles, bad defensive zone giveaways, break aways given up, coverage blown etc etc.

And no, Im not saying Leafs is atrocious defensively but they are most nights somewhere between average and below average.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
The way some Leafs fans talk about Samsonov I'm starting to think they don't actually watch the games or understand how to rate a goalie.

I'm not saying Samsonov has been great and he did have a bad stretch but he's been a decent goalie who looks a lot worse on paper because Woll stood on his head until injured. You can't expect a goalie to play like Woll did when he was hot. The problem is still defense. Lots of lost puck battles, bad defensive zone giveaways, break aways given up, coverage blown etc etc.

And no, Im not saying Leafs is atrocious defensively but they are most nights somewhere between average and below average.
Same here, I can understand it to just be oblivious about their trash offense AND defense.

I'm not sure if PRIME HASEK could mask the BIG 4 not caring at all about defense.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
just start to add a real #2 who can log 23-25 minute and will will already see a huge difference..
real #2 cost alot more than Leafs have to offer, also Im sure most teams that would also have interest could beat the Leafs best offer. not unless Leafs start including their top prospects as well, and even then I dunno if its enough. Dubas over the years has gone balls to the wall buying. it was going to eventually catch up to us.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
real #2 cost alot more than Leafs have to offer, also Im sure most teams that would also have interest could beat the Leafs best offer. not unless Leafs start including their top prospects as well, and even then I dunno if its enough. Dubas over the years has gone balls to the wall buying. it was going to eventually catch up to us.

If they want, yes they have enough asset for it

Hanifin is a real #2 actually on market and thats why they are some rumors abiut leafs trying to trade for him probably in a kind of sign and trade or something like that

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
If they want, yes they have enough asset for it

Hanifin is a real #2 actually on market and thats why they are some rumors abiut leafs trying to trade for him probably in a kind of sign and trade or something like that
trying and acquiring are two completely different things, I mean if they are willing to sell cheap but I get the feeling other teams can beat our offers. cause our assets are next to being pathetic at this point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad