Friedman: Leafs willing to move 1st round pick.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Most Leaf fans aren't going to like this.

On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast Friedman that the Maple Leafs are in fact willing to move their 1st round pick, there had been speculation that Treliving did not want to move the 1st round pick prior to Friedman report.

What he did say was that they didn't want to move their 1st round pick for pure rental, he said that if they are going to trade it they wanted to try and get a couple of players, he brought of Tanev and Zadorov as an example he said that when they were trying to acquire both Tanev and Zadorov their 1st round pick was in play.

He mentioned a package of Tanev and Markstrom as an Example.

He made it sound if Toronto is going to do something It's going to be fairly big.

Speaking of Tanev he also said he didn't think Vancouver could do it.

And brought up a potential Tanev and Hanifin package.

I don't know you do it because you'd have to match salaries, but if there was a way to land both Tanev and Markstrom there isn't much I wouldn't put on the table.

I feel like goaltending is What's holding this team back, I feel like It's cost them close to 15 points.

Samsonov has been AWFUL the majority of the year

Woll looked promising but then he got hurt, he's been hurt for 2 months and by all accounts he's out at least another month

Martin Jones has been solid but he's also Martin Jones.

There has also been rumours of Treliving wanting Risto out of Philadelphia, maybe he tries to get Risto and Seeler, or Risto and Walker.

Or maybe he tries his other former team and targets Dumba and Vejmelka, we know for a fact he tried to sign Dumba in the Summer but Dumba wanted 5 years so they went with Klingberg which started off good and then didn't work at all.

I thought they might keep their 1st this year and I'm good with that if they do.

But it doesn't sound like they will, or at least don't want to and I'm good with that too, as long as the player has term or signs an extension.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Most Leaf fans aren't going to like this.

On the most recent 32 thoughts podcast Friedman that the Maple Leafs are in fact willing to move their 1st round pick, there had been speculation that Treliving did not want to move the 1st round pick prior to Friedman report.

What he did say was that they didn't want to move their 1st round pick for pure rental, he said that if they are going to trade it they wanted to try and get a couple of players, he brought of Tanev and Zadorov as an example he said that when they were trying to acquire both Tanev and Zadorov their 1st round pick was in play.

He mentioned a package of Tanev and Markstrom as an Example.

He made it sound if Toronto is going to do something It's going to be fairly big.

Speaking of Tanev he also said he didn't think Vancouver could do it.

And brought up a potential Tanev and Hanifin package.

I don't know you do it because you'd have to match salaries, but if there was a way to land both Tanev and Markstrom there isn't much I wouldn't put on the table.

I feel like goaltending is What's holding this team back, I feel like It's cost them close to 15 points.

Samsonov has been AWFUL the majority of the year

Woll looked promising but then he got hurt, he's been hurt for 2 months and by all accounts he's out at least another month

Martin Jones has been solid but he's also Martin Jones.

There has also been rumours of Treliving wanting Risto out of Philadelphia, maybe he tries to get Risto and Seeler, or Risto and Walker.

Or maybe he tries his other former team and targets Dumba and Vejmelka, we know for a fact he tried to sign Dumba in the Summer but Dumba wanted 5 years so they went with Klingberg which started off good and then didn't work at all.

I thought they might keep their 1st this year and I'm good with that if they do.

But it doesn't sound like they will, or at least don't want to and I'm good with that too, as long as the player has term or signs an extension.
Of course they are.

Their D sucks big time.

You won't get a top 4 D without a 1st+.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Of course they are.

Their D sucks big time.

You won't get a top 4 D without a 1st+.

That's the thing people keep saying their defense sucks, and while I freely admit It's not perfect by any stretch, until recently Samsonov had an 862 save%, and while he's been better recently It's still 879.

Neither 862 or 879 is a defense problem.

That will NEVER be a defense problem that's a goalie issue at that point, that's a result of not getting a save.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
He said they're hesitant to trade it for a rental.

Toronto doesn't have a 2nd for a while, so to go for Tanev it would cost a 1st and he wasn't sure if they'd do that, unless they can re-sign him.

Reactions: Nevins

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
He didn’t say they were willing to move a FRP. He said since they don’t have a SRP for a a few years that they’d have to move their FRP if they wanted to make an upgrade. In saying that it’s clearly obvious that any type of deal they’re looking for would have to involve their FRP. Cowan and Minten alone isn’t going to get you a top 4 D man

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

stats1

Jul 22, 2022
I mean what do you guys really expect? Treliving knew the team he had. Sure his signings haven’t worked out, but saying stuff like “the new boss is like the old boss” noooo it’s more like the timeline is still the same timeline. Put in any GM in charge of this team and it’s the same

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
That's the thing people keep saying their defense sucks, and while I freely admit It's not perfect by any stretch, until recently Samsonov had an 862 save%, and while he's been better recently It's still 879.

Neither 862 or 879 is a defense problem.

That will NEVER be a defense problem that's a goalie issue at that point, that's a result of not getting a save.

when your D suck, your goalie will certsinly have hard time

Even Woll who had been fantastic had only 0.916 sv % and hes played great hockey

get Woll playing the same way he did exemple in Boston, for that stretche thr way he was playing, he would be around 0,940 to 0,950 sv %...

so yes at the end Leafs absolutly need to upgrade his D because right now leafs D is amount 7 or 8 worst D in NHL and they will never win anything with that D whatever whos in net!!!!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I think by now it's clear that Shanahan let Babcock go because Shanny wanted to retain the title as the most stubborn man in hockey all for himself.

If this Friedman report is true, given how mediocre this team has been and that no one seriously believes they are whatever-a-first-will-get-you away from contending, it's another sign that Shanahan is going to double down, and triple down and quadruple down on this group.

Remember, going into last summer - after a 5-game thrashing by the Panthers and another early playoff exit - Shanahan fully intended to bring back Dubas, the coach & re-sign all of the same Big Four that didn't step up again (Marner & Tavares can't be extended yet, but it's a virtual lock they will be)

So no, not a surprise at all Treliving is willing to move the team's first, it's all part of the plan!

Reactions: TMLife17

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
....... Are we even in a position to spend more? at some point we have to restock the cupboards.
year after year after year of spending should have caught up to us by now.
You have zero way to keep the core going and draft replacement players simultaneously. This isn't a video game. The average draft pick will take 5 year to get into the lineup and contribute. Which of Matthews, marner, Nylander or Reilly will still be in their prime in five years? None of them. Reilly will be 34. The rest will be 31-32.

If your depth wasn't so bad a guy like knies would be in the AHL.

Look at how Tampa kept the core going, they traded draft capital for depth pieces. That's all you can do, there is no perpetual contending status by drafting and developing and winning the cup every year. People who point out Detroit in the past ignore that they got many top free agents for a decade and got generationally lucky by drafting iron curtain players that weren't supposed to be available.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
They were always going to give it up if they were going to get anything of value. This just tells us they were only going to do it if they got something of REAL value….like two players that could help instead of just one.

Feels like a set up for a bunch of threads where the Leafs late first rounder is now worth more than anyone else’s late first rounder.

Reactions: HabsAddict

Transplanted Caper

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2003
I think the Leafs have too many holes this season to fix things at the deadline. They need help on the blueline, they need secondary scoring - but said player needs to be responsible in their own end as well - and they have a huge question in net. Maybe there's a deal out there to add people with term, but they're a middle of the road team. They went 0/4 on their offseason signings and are paying for it now because they have way more holes than they had anticipated. It's hard to do with a talent like Matthews on your team, but I think you just have to swallow it, realize it's not your year, and keep your assets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad