Leafs will score over 300 goals in 17/18

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
There will be injuries to key players. Toronto was lucky last season with the injuries. I doubt it lasts forever. Exciting offensive team for sure.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
There will be injuries to key players. Toronto was lucky last season with the injuries. I doubt it lasts forever. Exciting offensive team for sure.

The only key forwards that would really hurt the Leafs is Nylander/Matthews going down for a significant amount of time. The odds of that happening are likely in the Leafs favour. They have the forward depth to sustain injuries anywhere else on the forward core. Soshnikov, Leivo, Kapanene, Aaltonen, are all waiting for a spot to open up.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
The only key forwards that would really hurt the Leafs is Nylander/Matthews going down for a significant amount of time. The odds of that happening are likely in the Leafs favour. They have the forward depth to sustain injuries anywhere else on the forward core. Soshnikov, Leivo, Kapanene, Aaltonen, are all waiting for a spot to open up.
Losing someone like Kadri would mean a whole lot more d zone starts for Matthews. Thus hindering his production. They are deep but there are more than two key players.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Losing someone like Kadri would mean a whole lot more d zone starts for Matthews. Thus hindering his production. They are deep but there are more than two key players.

Matthews has taken more d zone starts than Kadri this year and starts in the o zone less often.

However the thing that would hurt him if Kadri went down is that Nylander might be moved off his line to centre his own group.

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Matthews has taken more d zone starts than Kadri this year and starts in the o zone less often.

However the thing that would hurt him if Kadri went down is that Nylander might be moved off his line to centre his own group.
I stand corrected and you raised a good point.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Not when we have 2 4th line centers swapping out every other game...

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Absolutely possible. Every game seems to be on the potential of a blowout the way they're playing.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
the offensive splurge will end sooner than later. they will finish with around 280 or so

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Not when we have 2 4th line centers swapping out every other game...

Neither of which are good enough to be in the top 9. A Matthews/Bozak/Moore/Fehr centre group is pretty ugly. I think it's more likely Nylander is moved so Leivo/Kapanen can get in the lineup.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's likely that Matthews or Nylander hits a slump sometime, but it'll be offset by Marner waking up. We got depth for daysssssss

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Won't even mind. Would love to see Kapanen/Leivo get some action.

AOSC

Jun 26, 2013
Minnesota
Only teams to reach 300+ goals in the last 20 years:
Washington in 2009/2010
Buffalo in 2006/2007
Ottawa in 2005/2006
Detroit in 2005/2006

You know what all of these teams have in common Toronto fans... No cups during the years that they scored 300 goals. :D I kid, I kid.

Measles

Oct 30, 2015
Calgary
It's possible, but I doubt it. The odds would be quite steep if you bet on the OVER. They are shooting 12.5% as a team at 5v5. No team in the last 6 season even cracked 10%. Their shooting percentages are near certain to regress, so they would have to make up the goals with shot volume. Possible, but I just don't see it.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017

He's already at over 60% d-zone starts.

Whenever people mention injuries, it always feels like they're grasping at straws because that's such a luck based instance that can happen to every team. And it's not as if an injury free team last season will have more injuries this season to make up for it.

I wonder why the potential for injuries isn't mentioned immediately in every thread posted.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Lol shows how much you know about the leafs. D zone starts don't mean a whole lot to begin with anyway

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Honestly wouldn’t shock me. If any team in recent history could do it it’s them.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I wouldn't put money on it but sure, its possible. I'd have them around 280 goals by seasons end. Close but well short.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Their healthiness is no fluke. They have a bunch of the best sports science PhDs money can buy, they play their top players less ice time than everyone else in the NHL, and they play a non-physical skilled brand of hockey.

Some injuries will happen, it's unavoidable, but chances are they'll be one of the healthiest teams in the league next year. And they have so much depth that they won't be that bad off if they do suffer a couple.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00