Leafs will score over 300 goals in 17/18

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Been watching this team this season and their offence looks like it wont be stopped, with this being said I think it's good for the league as other teams will change strategy to offence as well .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Definitely seem to have more of a shot than pretty much anyone else in the league.

They have to get ahead of the curve now before teams tighten up and scoring dries up.

Reactions: BVG

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Been watching this team this season and their offence looks like it wont be stopped, with this being said I think it's good for the league as other teams will change strategy to offence as well .

Not only will we score a BOATLOAD of goals, we will probably give up a ton.

If you are a betting person, take the over on the Leafs games all season long.

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
They should put Kapanen or Leivo into the lineup in place of Martin and have a "4th" line of Marner-Moore-Kapanen. If that line (and the team as a whole) can survive without the Martin muscle they could really have an offensive advantage with 4 lines that can legitimately score.

Kase

May 1, 2016
Even saying that it's possible tells a lot about their offense, but I predict they get 287 goals.

Fondue

Apr 25, 2007
Brooklyn
Strong possibility. Wouldn't surprise me. But let's also not forget just how difficult that is:

To reach 301 goals in a 82 game season, they need to score at a pace of ~3.67 goals a game. While certainly doable, it isn't an easy feat.

If they do happen to reach this goal, I hope their trend continues into the POs and doesn't fall-off like WSH. They'll score 300+ a season but then can't find the net come April.

Reactions: Jmiller1

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Not only will we score a BOATLOAD of goals, we will probably give up a ton.

If you are a betting person, take the over on the Leafs games all season long.
I make my living betting on sports bet 200$ last night on leafs at 2.05 return tidy $410 also another $ 205.40 on Leafs Kings and Blues to win @ $20 on 10.27 odds only 2 bets made yesterday Leafs put me in the black now after my Oilers had me in red up untill last night. Leafs are legit their forecheck and speed is going to give teams fits all season

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I think Babcock is going to reign them in a bit and you'll see both the GF and GA drop. Babs doesn't like giving up as many goals as we are. That said, this is still the most potent offensive team I think the league has seen in quite a few years. We have a 20 goal scorer or a 60 point player (Brown/Marner) relegated to the 4th line because we don't have room up front. Its whacky.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Yeah I think they will score over 300 as well. Watching them play, they are so dominant offensively. Not sure who can stop them or outproduce them

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Only teams to reach 300+ goals in the last 20 years:
Washington in 2009/2010
Buffalo in 2006/2007
Ottawa in 2005/2006
Detroit in 2005/2006

Reactions: TychoFan

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Only teams to reach 300+ goals in the last 20 years:
Washington in 2009/2010
Buffalo in 2006/2007
Ottawa in 2005/2006
Detroit in 2005/2006

Leaf fan but that Buffalo team in 2007 was the most exciting team to watch post lockout.

RealRockNRolla

Oct 5, 2017
As long as they score 1 more goal than the other team, I genuinely don't care if we win games 6-5, 8-7 etc etc. It's making for exciting hockey to watch right now.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I am not sure. I think it's more likely we see the goals average drop from like 5 a game to 3, but the offensive spread of who is scoring those goals will rise.

Matthews line is good for at least 1 goal a game. There are 3 other lines that can do damage that haven't shown up consistently, but individually taken over different games so far.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Definitely seem to have more of a shot than pretty much anyone else in the league.

They have to get ahead of the curve now before teams tighten up and scoring dries up.

They talked about this on Hockey central at noon. If they continue calling slashing as tightly as they are now, it opens up those lanes and basically allows anyone to go anywhere unimpeded. Than scoring won't dry up in the later half. (theoretically)

The big question is, that if they DO keep up those calls and scoring all over the league is up...do we follow through with shrinking goalie equipment?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I am not sure. I think it's more likely we see the goals average drop from like 5 a game to 3, but the offensive spread of who is scoring those goals will rise.

Matthews line is good for at least 1 goal a game. There are 3 other lines that can do damage that haven't shown up consistently, but individually taken over different games so far.

Not just three other lines, having a guy like Brown on their 4th line gives them an unexpected scoring threat there as well

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Not just three other lines, having a guy like Brown on their 4th line gives them an unexpected scoring threat there as well

* Marner ;P

Marner lost his spot. Brown with 2 goals in 2 games after his promotion, and the Bozak line went from a defensive black hole to just slightly below average defensively.

Marner is good, and can put up points when given ice time. Babs is going to get him to where he needs to be like he has with all the other guys on the team. That's the scary part... The Leafs are scoring like this with Marner not playing anywhere near his best.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
They talked about this on Hockey central at noon. If they continue calling slashing as tightly as they are now, it opens up those lanes and basically allows anyone to go anywhere unimpeded. Than scoring won't dry up in the later half. (theoretically)

The big question is, that if they DO keep up those calls and scoring all over the league is up...do we follow through with shrinking goalie equipment?

The Sens scored 300 goals back in 2005-2006 and that was during the peak of the crackdown on obstruction.

So it certainly helps to have an ongoing league issue that will drive up PPs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad