Friedman: Leafs will go hard after Chris Tanev.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
he played bottom 6 in what look like the BEST NHL D group and hes much better than Schenn. Switch tanev and Manson and tanev would not playing more than Manson...

Orlov playing in bottom 6 in Carolina, do that mean hes a bottom pair dman?!?!

Regardless of whether Manson is a top 4 defenseman or not, he’s definitely not a better defenseman than Tanev. They might play similar roles if Tanev was on the Avs but I think Tanev would still take on bigger minutes. Manson is under 18 minutes for awhile now.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
The guy is like 35 years old

If you’re bringing him in it’s not for a 1st or a top prospect

Which makes it even less likely the picks in question would actually produce valuable NHLers at all, much less anyone who’d contribute in a meaningful way while Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner are in their 20s.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Tanev would be a huge upgrade for the Leafs. Potentially could re-sign him in the off season too.
Think the price will be fairly high though as there will be lots of interest amongs the playoff teams.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Which makes it even less likely the picks in question would actually produce valuable NHLers at all, much less anyone who’d contribute in a meaningful way while Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner are in their 20s.

These picks won’t for a few years, but if the leafs had picks from 4 years ago that they drafted instead of trading would be right now.

That’s my point, you draft this year (and next, etc) so that 4-5 years from now you have those players, or you make the informed decision to trade them.

The leafs have traded way too many picks for nothing already. They went ‘all in’ a few times and failed. Have to stop doing that.

It’s an absolute tragedy and way bigger than hockey, but if they still had a prospect like Amirov and he was able to develop, he might be contributing right now.

Mind you, they didn’t trade him, but that’s another 1st round pick that isn’t a part of the team anymore.

You need to draft, tanev isn’t the last piece of the puzzle for a team who just needs a little pop to go over the top. He’s a useful player, but he’s not going to make the leafs a Stanley cup champion team.

They aren’t in a place to keep trading their picks. They f***ed that up already, they need to stay the course and draft for a couple years (they already don’t have the pick after this one).

This core doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore, they need a couple good, deep runs to earn it back.

No more trading 1sts until these players prove they’re worth the investment

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
These picks won’t for a few years, but if the leafs had picks from 4 years ago that they drafted instead of trading would be right now.

That’s my point, you draft this year (and next, etc) so that 4-5 years from now you have those players, or you make the informed decision to trade them.

The leafs have traded way too many picks for nothing already. They went ‘all in’ a few times and failed. Have to stop doing that.

It’s an absolute tragedy and way bigger than hockey, but if they still had a prospect like Amirov and he was able to develop, he might be contributing right now.

Mind you, they didn’t trade him, but that’s another 1st round pick that isn’t a part of the team anymore.

You need to draft, tanev isn’t the last piece of the puzzle for a team who just needs a little pop to go over the top. He’s a useful player, but he’s not going to make the leafs a Stanley cup champion team.

They aren’t in a place to keep trading their picks. They f***ed that up already, they need to stay the course and draft for a couple years (they already don’t have the pick after this one).

This core doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt anymore, they need a couple good, deep runs to earn it back.

No more trading 1sts until these players prove they’re worth the investment
I agree. If the price for rental Tanev is a 1st, I think the Leafs need to pass. If Tanev comes with an extension and/or other pieces are involved, maybe it's a consideration. I just feel based on all that you outlined, Leafs need to pass. Is what it is.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Regardless of whether Manson is a top 4 defenseman or not, he’s definitely not a better defenseman than Tanev. They might play similar roles if Tanev was on the Avs but I think Tanev would still take on bigger minutes. Manson is under 18 minutes for awhile now.

with makar-toews playing 24-25 min every game

60-24 = 72 for 4 dman an average of 18 min

considerating you having player like girard and byram, should we really be surprising to see Manson playing a little bit less of that 18 min ? and no i dont think it woul be different with tanev because i dont think tanev would be over byram and/or girard on avs depht chart

For me manson and tanev are at similar level playing a similar role
What are you talking about? He never was 3rd in ice time. You're also using numbers from 5 and 6 years ago here. Even then you are wrong. He's the worst possession player for the best team in the NHL, playing soft minute against bottom sixers. What's your excuse for that? BTW, Drysdale played mostly with Lindholm when Manson was with the Ducks. Manson didn't see tough minutes then, Drysdale and Lindholm did.

Nothing you are saying is real or makes any sense. How does Manson compare with Tanev? They don't at all. Manson is a poor man's Zadorov, he isn't in the same area code as Tanev.

just show you one thing
gibson stats last season with Manson in anaheim ( will not make every season, just too long to say the same exact thing)

with Manson .918
without Manson 0.887

but yes he looking trash on avanced stats and whatever but in reality, hes making people around him better and thats the importsnt thing in hockey and its what good shutdown D doing. ps Manson is not there for what he bring with possession of the puck but by how he defending...

yes in 2021 he was playing on top pair with fowler against toughness opposition ( not lindholm/drysdale), year ago in 2020 drysdale had been #1 Manson partner when he step up in NHL

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad