Waived: Leafs Waive Michalek, Claim Ben Smith

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
Not sure why the hammer fell on Michalek.

The Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line spent 2 full games hemmed into their own zone. Line is putrid along the boards and on defense. Nylander has looked the best. Hyman looks like an awkward 4th liner playing a style he isn't suited for. Matthews has looked good in 1 maybe 2 games. They are rookies, I get it... But that Winnipeg and Chicago performance was horrid.
Guess which three forwards have the best possession stats (using FF%) on the Leafs? Hyman-Matthews-Nylander. Guess which forward has the worst FF%? Milan Michalek.

Matthews has looked good in 1 maybe 2 games? Take away his four-goal game, and he's still a PPG player with good possession stats. What exactly are you expecting?

JVR looks like garbage most nights. You notice when he has a good shift because most of them he has been lazy, ineffectual and downright bad.

Among forwards, JVR is tied for third in points, has the third best CF%, and has the fourth best FF%. He may look like garbage but he's isn't producing like it.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Through 5 games:

Rielly - ATOI = 23:21
Zaitsev - ATOI = 22:22
Marincin - ATOI = 21:17 (3 games)
Polak - ATOI = 19:36 (2 games)
Carrick - ATOI = 18:08
Gardiner - ATOI = 18:03
Hunwick - ATOI = 16:32

Hunwick's ATOI was seriously screwed when he missed most of the game against Ottawa. He only played 2 minutes that game.

Hunwick's TOI last 4 games: 22:16, 18:48, 20:19, 19:05.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Hunwick's ATOI was seriously screwed when he missed most of the game against Ottawa. He only played 2 minutes that game.

Hunwick's TOI last 4 games: 22:16, 18:48, 20:19, 19:05.

However Marincin has been missing for some of this as well who would no doubt be eating into those minutes.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Gardiner has played less than Hunwick. That's absurd in itself.

With Zaitsev now with Rielly and Hunwick with Carrick it looks like Babcock has pulled the plug on (his insane idea of) Hunny being his go-to shutdown dman.

I still wish we were seeing a Gardiner-Carrick 2nd pairing but this is a nice first step.

It'lll be interesting to see how the ice time is divvied up with the new pairings.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Just going to put my pondering out there. (Thinking about Michalek+salary being dropped, Hunwick's ice-time, Anaheim scouting the Leafs, Anaheim cap problems coupled with unsigned d-man, etc.)

Matt Hunwick for Kevin Bieksa

Okay maybe there's another thread for this? But felt it fits into the discussion. Leafs could use a right-handed defenceman, even if it's a stop-gap measure. Anaheim would be happy to open up enough Cap to sign Hampus Lindholm.

Bieksa has a trade clause. And he's getting ice-time. He's originally from Ontario. Would it get done? Would it make sense for all parties involved?

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
That is pretty stone cold giving up his number if he was just going to the Marlies. There has got to be something to it like they know he will be picked up off waivers or they know he is going back to Europe, because I couldn't see them just doing that if there was any chance we are going to be retaining him.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That is pretty stone cold giving up his number if he was just going to the Marlies. There has got to be something to it like they know he will be picked up off waivers or they know he is going back to Europe, because I couldn't see them just doing that if there was any chance we are going to be retaining him.

It shows without a doubt it shows he's played his last game here.
I also doubt it has gone down as cold and cruel as some here are imagining.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
With Zaitsev now with Rielly and Hunwick with Carrick it looks like Babcock has pulled the plug on (his insane idea of) Hunny being his go-to shutdown dman.

I still wish we were seeing a Gardiner-Carrick 2nd pairing but this is a nice first step.

It'lll be interesting to see how the ice time is divvied up with the new pairings.

Now if only Babcock could finally try Corrado on a long-term basis...

Baby steps I guess.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Wont be long. Babs clearly feels Hunwick has done his blackboard magic on Zaitsev and Carrick is next in the Hunwick School. Once its clear to Babs that Carrick has gotten what he wants him to from that there will only be Corrado left to attend Hunwick School. After that Lou picks up the phone and flips Hunwick and Polak for more picks.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't even trust Hunwick as a 7th defence man but I'll accept it I really don't think he can play anymore. He doesn't have an ounce of playmaking ability its off the glass and out or a dump in, ive seen at least one occasion where a simple (by NHL standards) pass would lead to a 2 on 1 for us and he dumps it in

Northern Dancer

The future ain't what it used to be.
Mar 2, 2002
5 K from the ACC
It shows without a doubt it shows he's played his last game here.
I also doubt it has gone down as cold and cruel as some here are imagining.

I concur, it also encourages him (and his agent) to pursue the KHL as you are going to earn your 4mm this year but it will be in the AHL, it is a clear sign he is not coming back.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
No, it is logical.

:laugh: Lou Lamoriello is cold

You can't give a guy topline minutes just so you can get a 4th rounder at TD.We have paid with losses and Komorov is way down in production.You can't tank an organization for a 35 year old who won't waive his NTC. The AHL may change his thinking on that one, because he won't be back in Toronto(NHL). This is isn't cold, it is cruel to be kind, to us.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Didn't like Smith so far this season on Colorado (I'm an Avs fan first). No more than a 4th line C role is fine but I don't even expect him to play the whole season up here.

Don't care though, pretty happy to see Michalek gone because he's lost his hands and he was dragging down Kadri's production. Hopefully Kadri gets a better winger there, maybe Kapanen in the near-future (I used to want JVR there but I'm fine with them wasting JVR and Bozak together since they both look mediocre now).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad