Waived: Leafs Waive Michalek, Claim Ben Smith

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
That's exactly the point, you probably thought there was a trade coming yesterday whenever Leivo was ready, but there wasn't because management thought Michalek was disposable. You still think there's a trade coming when in reality Smith is probably disposable, or Holland, or Polak, or Hunwick, or Corrado, or Griffith.

Yeah blah blah asset management, all these players are worth like a 4th at best, and I doubt anyone wants them right now via trade, at some point development trumps asset management. it did with Brown, and it still will when Leivo comes back.

The point is this waiver pickup doesn't make a trade anymore likely than it was yesterday. They didn't care to hold onto Michalek for asset management and there's like 6 more guys on this roster in the same boat valuewise.

Nope. I thought they'd move Brown to the Marlies top-6 to percolate when Leivo returned until a spot opened up via trade or another injury occurred. It would have been that simple.

Whether it's a waiver move or trade doesn't really matter. One or the other must happen at full health. I don't think you claim players on waivers generally if you don't plan on keeping them at the NHL level and it's not usually used for short term fixes at a position that is flush with talent within the organization. Which means it's probably someone else. But, it's not Brown who would've been the easy guy to send down.

pgk

Jun 24, 2014
Holland, Leivo, Corrado all on the trade bubble. What does it realistically take to pry Trouba from the Jets? Hopefully not Neilsen or Dermott...Valiev? Loov? Plus all three of holland leivo and corrado? We have too many bodies.

Gauthier comes up to play 4C
Ben Smith goes to the Marlies to fill the C hole
Brown goes down (haha)
Sosh comes up
Leo Kadri Sosh
JVR Bozie Marner
Hyman Matthews Nylander
Martin Goat Griffith

Who f-ing knows man these guys are crafty as hell

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Nope. I thought they'd move Brown to the Marlies top-6 to percolate when Leivo returned until a spot opened up via trade or another injury occurred. It would have been that simple.

Whether it's a waiver move or trade doesn't really matter. One or the other must happen at full health. I don't think you claim players on waivers generally if you don't plan on keeping them at the NHL level and it's not usually used for short term fixes at a position that is flush with talent within the organization. Which means it's probably someone else. But, it's not Brown who would've been the easy guy to send down.

fair enough, what I meant was if we assumed Brown was around to stay you probably would have assumed a trade was coming because you wouldn't have thought they would have waived Michalek which they did.

We'll see what's coming but I don't understand the appeal of Ben Smith to this NHL roster which is already having trouble finding spots. So that's my guess on who's going to be back on waivers, but really it could be any of the 6 guys I posted, and more likely than a trade because they just proven they're not overly concerned with keeping a fringe guy as an asset for 4 months down the road.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if Leivo were healthy by now and they're waiting for someone to get hurt to slot him in. the NHL isn't overly strict on forcing teams to activate players the moment they're healthy. Leivo would probably have to file a grievance if he were healthy for anything to be forced and he probably wouldn't do that because he could end up on waivers and in the minors.

The waiving of Michalek to claim Smith doesn't make that overly plausible though

RootinTootinPookin*

Not sure why the hammer fell on Michalek.

The Hyman-Matthews-Nylander line spent 2 full games hemmed into their own zone. Line is putrid along the boards and on defense. Nylander has looked the best. Hyman looks like an awkward 4th liner playing a style he isn't suited for. Matthews has looked good in 1 maybe 2 games. They are rookies, I get it... But that Winnipeg and Chicago performance was horrid.

JVR looks like garbage most nights. You notice when he has a good shift because most of them he has been lazy, ineffectual and downright bad.

Holland shouldn't be in the lineup. He fits nowhere but in a top-6 sheltered position but he doesn't have the hockey IQ to produce offence at an effective clip. Not an anchor defensively, either (He's a center so he needs to be able to anchor his line).

Komo looks real bad. Reminds me of Kulemin without the compete and work ethic. Just a black hole offensively and prone to mistakes and lazy play defensively.

Meh.

It's not Michalek's fault Babcock had our worst defensemen out there toward the end of the game, or had Holland shoot over Nylander, or Andersen has no ability to save a high-glove shot.

Not that I care. I love the idea of Brown getting more TOI. High hopes for him, but low expectations.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
fair enough, what I meant was if we assumed Brown was around to stay you probably would have assumed a trade was coming because you wouldn't have thought they would have waived Michalek which they did.

We'll see what's coming but I don't understand the appeal of Ben Smith to this NHL roster which is already having trouble finding spots. So that's my guess on who's going to be back on waivers, but really it could be any of the 6 guys I posted, and more likely than a trade because they just proven they're not overly concerned with keeping a fringe guy as an asset for 4 months down the road.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if Leivo were healthy by now and they're waiting for someone to get hurt to slot him in. the NHL isn't overly strict on forcing teams to activate players the moment they're healthy. Leivo would probably have to file a grievance if he were healthy for anything to be forced and he probably wouldn't do that because he could end up on waivers and in the minors.

The waiving of Michalek to claim Smith doesn't make that overly plausible though

You make a good point with Leivo. He'd be better to not burn any bridges. He was banged up during camp. But, he did play 2 of the final 3 pre-season games before they determined that he should be put on IR. Similar to how Robidas was injured for the rest of his contract after being fine in camp. It does feel like they've stuffed him on IR to save him from the wire for now, they'll probably string it out and give him a conditioning stint when he comes back. By that time maybe someone is out for the year or something.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Waiving Michalek makes tonnes of sense, he looks done to me. Was dragging down the Komarov/Kadri line, hopefully that line can be more effective with Brown.

As for picking up Smith, pretty "meh" move, but I can see why we picked him up. Leivo is still injured, right? So it was likely either Smith, Griffith or Leipsic for that 4th line spot. Griffith and Leipsic are both 5'9", fairly offensively minded, and both have minimal NHL experience. Smith isn't too big, but has acceptable size at 5'11"/200 lbs, he's got ~200 NHL games under his belt, and has more of a defensive focus to his game. Smith is nothing special, but he'll do a decent job filling this specific role for us, for now. Wouldn't be surprised to see him waived once Leivo is healthy.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
What the leafs really need is a 4th line center so they can move Holland to the wing.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
What the leafs really need is a 4th line center so they can move Holland to the wing.

just a matter of time before soshi and kapannen are in the NHL .lots of scouts watching marlies too ,lets face it the leafs need one more d man that can play 20 minutes a nite ,somebody is going .

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Don't play Hunwick so much? That's a start.

That's easy to say but again what option does he have?

We got Rielly, Gardiner and maybe Zaitsev as top 4

The rest are ****

Sure you couls swap in Marincin but he sucks too. same with Polak, same with Corrado they ALL suck

Yes Hunwick sucks too but the guys you would be replacing him with aren't much better.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

The rest are ****

Sure you couls swap in Marincin but he sucks too. same with Polak, same with Corrado they ALL suck

Yes Hunwick sucks too but the guys you would be replacing him with aren't much better.

We won't know until that happens? Corrado hasn't even played yet. You can easily play Zaitsev, Rielly and Carrick a lot more than they have and cut Hunwicks minutes... but that didn't happen. We could easily waive Hunwick to play someone like Valiev or Loov. Nope.

It was a tongue-in-cheek comment in the first place anyway ... relax.

willyjones

May 30, 2013
I don't know Marincin is pretty ****ing bad
100 percent agree. I get people will say check out his analytics and I just want to say check out his game live or on TV. I can honestly say I would rather watch polak hit himself into the boards, then watch Rielly drag marincin around the ice any more..

As for waiving Michalek I do understand the move, but claiming smith is a bit of a head scratcher.. I like the fact brown will get a shot playing more offensively, and smith would fill in browns spot on 4th line , but leivo must be close to a return he has been skating and griff waiting in the wings since being claimed why add another body? Maybe a trade in the works??

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
So as of right now:

- michalek laich greening in minors

- cowen going through a grievance with the leafs

- Lupul disappeared

- robidas is some sort of special assistant to the assistant

- Horton is ....there

- prust is team mascot

but there is more!!!

Corrado and Griffith hiding in the press box.

Ben Smith pencilled in to replace Michalek and stop those collapses!! (lol, I am glad
Michalek is being sent down and Brown will have a shot with Kadri, but seriously, there isn't a worse leaf defensively and on the PK than Smith, except maybe Froese?)

Hunwick getting more icetime than Gardiner (ok, that is just weird, giving your worst d-man more icetime than the top scoring defenceman in the league? just had to say that)

A lot of weirdness going on right now. Hopefully there will be some clarity soon, whether through a trade getting rid of some of the marginal bodies, or some injuries (I volunteer Hunwick, Polack, Smith, Martin, Holland)

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
100 percent agree. I get people will say check out his analytics and I just want to say check out his game live or on TV. I can honestly say I would rather watch polak hit himself into the boards, then watch Rielly drag marincin around the ice any more..

I suspect Marincin has looked worse than last year because of he doesn't do well on the right side.
I would love to see Reilly-Zaitsev, Gardiner-Carrick, and then Marincin with either Corrado or Polack (preferably Corrado) and see how that third pairing does, with everyone on their correct side.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
The Ben Smith grab confuses me but I'm all for Brownie getting better linemates to play with.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What I don't understand about this move is how it impacts the 23 man roster limit.

Leafs currently have 4 spare players Corrado, Marincin, Griffith and Leivo (currently on IR) and all requires waivers.

The waiving of Michalek to make roster room for Leivo makes sense as he is back practicing with the Leafs, but claiming Smith leaves no room to activate a player on IR. :help:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What I don't understand about this move is how it impacts the 23 man roster limit.

Leafs currently have 4 spare players Corrado, Marincin, Griffith and Leivo (currently on IR) and all requires waivers.

The waiving of Michalek to make roster room for Leivo makes sense as he is back practicing with the Leafs, but claiming Smith leaves no room to activate a player on IR. :help:

Could buy some time by assigning a player for conditioning. Leivo easily qualifies for that. Griffith could soon as well.

...but yeah, looks like someone else will lose their job or there's a trade coming. Considering the amount of depth we have on the roster both at the NHL and AHL level, I'd bet the Leafs will make a minor move or two.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The rest are ****

The other D men while struggling- I'd still take over Hunwick who manages to harm not just his D partners possession numbers but the forwards who share the ice as well.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Perhaps they're not too worried about a player with 1 assist in 28 games? If they have to waive Leivo, so what? In fact you could say the same for a few of the players. If I have too many pennies in my pocket, if some fall out, it's nothing to cry about.

I think Michalek's biggest asset was the ability to make his salary disappear faster then Phaneuf's.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The other D men while struggling- I'd still take over Hunwick who manages to harm not just his D partners possession numbers but the forwards who share the ice as well.

Through 5 games:

Rielly - ATOI = 23:21
Zaitsev - ATOI = 22:22
Marincin - ATOI = 21:17 (3 games)
Polak - ATOI = 19:36 (2 games)
Carrick - ATOI = 18:08
Gardiner - ATOI = 18:03
Hunwick - ATOI = 16:32

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad