Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Wings

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Otoh I'll be forever grateful to them for somehow stopping the vastly superior Bruins from winning another cup.
I've always believed Toronto vs Boston was the ECF that year, sucks it was round 1

If we didn't have Babcock we win in 6. Made zero adjustments and Cassidy ran circles around him in a series where the teams were 50/50

Reactions: stickty111 and zeke

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
people are going to be citing that Blues 2019 run for the rest of time

Particularly Leaf fans because that Blues Cup win left our Leafs the distinction of having the longest Stanley Cup drought in the NHL now by ourselves.

Dating back to the original expansion year of the NHL, there are 11 active teams that haven’t won a Stanley Cup since their inception. The record for the longest drought ever goes to the New York Rangers who went 54 years (1940 to 1994). Although the Toronto Maple Leafs are catching up, currently sitting at 53 years since their Cup win in 1967.

If the Leafs do not win the Cup this year they will tie the futility record of 54 years (1697-2022).

Last edited:

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
The worst thing about Dermott is that he goes through these cycles of making the same mistakes, maybe it's just because he isn't getting steady ice time so he doesn't stay sharp, but maybe he isn't getting the ice time because he repeats those same mistakes, it's a conundrum for sure.

The age gap between Rielly and Dermott is only a few months more than the gap between Dermott and Liljegren, and obviously less than the Dermott-Sandin gap.

He's now played just over 200 NHL games so maybe he still has some room for growth. I've always thought that he has pretty good tools and a pretty good toolbox to go along with them, but he's at the point in his career where he really has to start limiting any mistakes and in taking charge when he's out there.

My thoughts on Dermott have been posted here, he was never a transformative player but at 25 he still has yet to show he can stick in a top four, going back before Brodie and Muzzin when only Mo had a top spot locked down.

Sandin and Liljegren both show higher ceilings at younger ages, while Dermott is looking like the type of depth guy you can get in FA every summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: therealkoho

SoftDumpNtheCorner88

Jul 5, 2020
Leafs. Wings have played 3 in 4 and Keefe finally got his head out of his ass and is deploying an optimal lineup
Don't know why people are hard on Keefe....

This coach has done almost everything we as a fanbase have wanted. Especially after the stubborn Babcock era.. he mixes and matches, stacks up lines, gives our stars' minutes, cuts minutes to those that make lazy plays, gives players new and old every opportunity to succeed if they show they can prove it.

He's done it all and is still tinkering to give each player experience in playing in different line ups and situations to prepare them for playoffs... The man's trying his best... This fanbase will never be satisfied. I'm loving Keefe and appreciating what he does with this team...

We haven't had playoff success, but he's been putting this team in the top 5-10 his whole tenure here. Just needs to find out what the playoff formula is and hes actively working on figuring that out.

What more do you guys want from a coach????

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Regular season finishes for cup winners:

2009 Pens: 8th overall (.604)
2010 Hawks: 3rd overall (.683)
2011 Bruins: 7th overall (.628)
2012 Kings: 13th overall (.579)
2013 Hawks: 1st overall (.802)
2014 Kings: 9th overall (.610)
2015 Hawks: 7th overall (.622)
2016 Pens: 4th overall (.634)
2017 Pens: 2nd overall (.677)
2018 Caps: 8th overall (.640)
2019 Blues: 11th overall (.604)
2020 Bolts: 4th overall (.657)
2021 Bolts: 8th overall (.670)

Leafs currently: 6th overall (.705) in a very good top 12 this season.

Detroit (.500) is actually not even in the bottom 10 teams this year so I'm not sure why anyone should take them lightly and NJ has had a way of playing good teams hard.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Particularly Leaf fans because that Blues Cup win left our Leafs the distinction of having the longest Stanley Cup drought in the NHL now by ourselves.

Dating back to the original expansion year of the NHL, there are 11 active teams that haven’t won a Stanley Cup since their inception. The record for the longest drought ever goes to the New York Rangers who went 54 years (1940 to 1994). Although the Toronto Maple Leafs are catching up, currently sitting at 53 years since their Cup win in 1967.

If the Leafs do not win the Cup this year they will tie the futility record of 54 years (1697-2022).
You really love looking for the black cloud behind the silver lining.

Got any video of that 1697 Cup win?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Regular season finishes for cup winners:

2009 Pens: 8th overall (.604)
2010 Hawks: 3rd overall (.683)
2011 Bruins: 7th overall (.628)
2012 Kings: 13th overall (.579)
2013 Hawks: 1st overall (.802)
2014 Kings: 9th overall (.610)
2015 Hawks: 7th overall (.622)
2016 Pens: 4th overall (.634)
2017 Pens: 2nd overall (.677)
2018 Caps: 8th overall (.640)
2019 Blues: 11th overall (.604)
2020 Bolts: 4th overall (.657)
2021 Bolts: 8th overall (.670)

Leafs currently: 6th overall (.705) in a very good top 12 this season.

Detroit (.500) is actually not even in the bottom 10 teams this year so I'm not sure why anyone should take them lightly and NJ has had a way of playing good teams hard.

Dude lets just win a freakin' round first ffs and then we can talk about being "contenders for the cup"

Reactions: Enniskillen

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

This coach has done almost everything we as a fanbase have wanted. Especially after the stubborn Babcock era.. he mixes and matches, stacks up lines, gives our stars' minutes, cuts minutes to those that make lazy plays, gives players new and old every opportunity to succeed if they show they can prove it.

He's done it all and is still tinkering to give each player experience in playing in different line ups and situations to prepare them for playoffs... The man's trying his best... This fanbase will never be satisfied. I'm loving Keefe and appreciating what he does with this team...

We haven't had playoff success, but he's been putting this team in the top 5-10 his whole tenure here. Just needs to find out what the playoff formula is and hes actively working on figuring that out.

This season:

Top 5 records:
1. Colorado
2. Carolina
3. Florida
4. Tampa
5. Toronto
5. Minny

Top 5 all situations xGF%:
1. Toronto
2. Calgary
3. Florida
4. Pittsburgh
5. Boston

Top 5 5v5 xGF%:
1. Boston
2. Calgary
3. Toronto
4. Florida
5. Pittsburgh

Top 5 career win% of current coaches (min 100 games played):
1. Evason
2. Keefe
3. Cooper
4. Brind'Amour
5. Cassidy

Has the best winning% of any Leafs coach in history right now. If the Leafs actually win a goaltending matchup in the playoffs, he'll get his recognition. (as the old saying goes)

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Just noticed this game is on Sportsnet that Sportsnet now ap is complete garbage.. buffers like nobody's business.... Stupid habs/oilers on CBC?? Laaaame

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Just noticed this game is on Sportsnet that Sportsnet now ap is complete garbage.. buffers like nobody's business.... Stupid habs/oilers on CBC?? Laaaame

I assume that they decided they should focus on an all-Canadian match-up on Hockey Day in Canada.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Dude lets just win a freakin' round first ffs and then we can talk about being "contenders for the cup"

Any team can be a contender for the cup provided they make the playoffs. Sort of my point.

I would also note that almost all those cup winners also had one of the best keepers of the playoffs. It seems to be important.

Methinks if we could just have the better one in a round it would be helpful. Would love to see Campbell get hot and stay hot for a month later this year. If that happens (and we know he's capable of it), the cup is a very real possibility. Frigging softies and lack of big saves vs. the Leafs practically having to kill the other keeper to score a goal has been the norm in big games the last 5 years really.

Cpt Maple Leaf

Jul 19, 2009
I always enjoyed games vs Detroit as the jerseys contrasted so nicely on TV (Blue/white) vs (Red/white). Also ... very fond memories of Clark and Gilmour and Potvin and a Nik Borshevsky deflected shot to knock out Yzerman and co. back in '92

Blue vs Red
Crips vs Bloods
PC vs Liberals
Republicans vs Democrats
Cookie Monster vs Elmo

GLG!
Cookie Monster get all fired up and would wipe the floor with Elmo...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He's tied to Dubas and together they were gifted a great team and people are worried that they may blow the opportunity.

Reactions: egd27

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

That typo is epic.

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021

Maybe he’s done what you’ve wanted but in my opinion he’s made a lot of coaching mistakes in the playoffs

Good coach, terrible tactician

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad