GDT: Leafs vs Wings: Friday in Sweden 2pm [TSN4]

Status
Not open for further replies.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Detroit Red Wings (2 p.m. ET; BSDET, NHLN, TVAS-D, TSN4) - 2023 NHL Global Series

On covering injuries:

The Leafs, Wings, Wild and Ottawa Senators can bring an extra goalie, but he or any other non-roster players who are activated must fit under the cap. While the Leafs have a rookie Swede doing very well in the Marlies cage, Dennis Hildeby getting back-to-back shutouts, he might be needed for the farm team when they resume play next week. Veteran Martin Jones would be the other likely choice to join Joseph Woll and Ilya Samsonov in Sweden.

In flying to Stockholm Monday night for two games at Avicii Arena against Detroit and Minnesota, the general manager and coach of the Maple Leafs have to make contingency plans for injuries, being across an ocean from their farm team, though keeping any changes under the NHL salary cap.

For example, asked Saturday if call-up winger Bobby McMann would be on the trip, Keefe said that would have to be hashed out Sunday before an early Monday home practice.

“The roster is in flux, the cap and all that kind of stuff,” Keefe said. “Conor Timmins (the defenceman who has begun practicing after a training camp knee injury) is going to factor in here, too. But I liked what Bobby brought (in the 5-2 win over Vancouver).”

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any idea when the team is travelling?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
""

Seeing Reaves in the lineup pains me. Did Kampf get hurt Saturday, or maybe just a day off?

Reactions: horner

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
If Timmins is back for the Sweden trip, that would be why Keefe isn't committing to whether McMann will be on the trip. To activate Timmins from LTIR, Leafs will have to go back to running 12/7 (they won't go overseas without a 7D).

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I find these games in europe are so annoying. They disrupt the flow of a normal season, the team's involved lose home gate revenue and they're just overall completely pointless.

Hockey in europe is popular as it is. It's not like sweden needs more hockey exposure. It's not like the NHL has any intention of putting teams in europe.

I hate these gimmick games. So annoyed that the Leafs have to take part.

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
I find these games in europe are so annoying. They disrupt the flow of a normal season, the team's involved lose home gate revenue and they're just overall completely pointless.

Hockey in europe is popular as it is. It's not like sweden needs more hockey exposure. It's not like the NHL has any intention of putting teams in europe.

Yea these games suck. But regarding the home gate revenues it appears both games the Leafs play are road games so they still have 41 home games.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yea these games suck. But regarding the home gate revenues it appears both games the Leafs play are road games so they still have 41 home games.
Yeah which is odd. You'd think Minnesota and Detroit would both be a little pissed at losing a home date to the Leafs.

Place holder for Klingberg

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
If Timmins is back for the Sweden trip, that would be why Keefe isn't committing to whether McMann will be on the trip. To activate Timmins from LTIR, Leafs will have to go back to running 12/7 (they won't go overseas without a 7D).
I'd assume they'll get him a conditioning stint on the Marlies before activating him off LTIR. He probably joins the team on the trip then heads down to the Marlies for a few games before coming back.

jiggy35

Jun 26, 2012

As a Canadian living in the UK it’s pretty awesome I get a 7pm game and spend it with my dad eating wings.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
I think that the league missed a really good opportunity to showcase the game properly with this event. Why not Toronto, Tampa, NYR and Pittsburgh? Big ticket Swedes in Willy, Hedman, Mika and Karlsson, plus all of the superstars on those 4 teams.
The NHL doesn't care about marketing the sport. They constantly duck out from Olympics. They pick random teams out of a hat, and play in the same countries over and over. Want to grow the game Why not play in f***ing Spain, France, Portugal? Hockey is already very popular in Sweden.

NHL guy: We should play some games in a new market.

NHL guy 2: Yeah, that would expose the game to new people. How about Australia?

Betman: Only if we showcase the most irrelevant and least valued team in the league. Arizona. Otherwise, Sweden. Again.

NHL guy:
But Gary, dont you thi-

Betman: Arizona. BARRETT HAYTON

Why did they bring f***ing Arizona to Australia in Pre Season? Really? You cant tell me they actually thought this through.

NBA does it right. When they have games overseas, they use their brains and showcase Kobe (RIP), Lebron, Curry

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
Interesting that Minny and Detroit are forced to play back to back games but the Leafs aren't. Good deal.

Leafs are also the only team that doesn't burn a home game.

Yeah which is odd. You'd think Minnesota and Detroit would both be a little pissed at losing a home date to the Leafs.

Sens are the ones who would be pissed, they have 2 home games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad