Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs the red wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkblue

Oct 6, 2020
The Wings played well.

That's the third game of theirs that I've watched this season - common denominator in all of them? They work DAMN hard, especially some of their bottom 6 guys.

If the Leafs aren't ready to outwork their opponents tomorrow and actually start at puck drop, they'll get embarrassed.

They are catching teams off-guard much like the Leafs team did in 2017

Yup. Someone posted this on the main board - incredible

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The Wings played well.

That's the third game of theirs that I've watched this season - common denominator in all of them? They work DAMN hard, especially some of their bottom 6 guys.

If the Leafs aren't ready to outwork their opponents tomorrow and actually start at puck drop, they'll get embarrassed.

They are catching teams off-guard much like the Leafs team did in 2017
Seems Yzerman took the lesson from his playing days but Shanahan forgot it.

Build it hard working right off the bat.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Seems Yzerman took the lesson from his playing days but Shanahan forgot it.

Build it hard working right off the bat.
That is literally how we were built out of the gate. Our forwards were all speedy 2 way wingers and the ELC guys were all top 10 in take aways. Even Hitchcock made a comment about how Leafs give you no room and are one of the hardest teams to play against.

The person you're quoting even says "much like 2017 Leafs".

Shanny is a good thing for this organization. Our current struggles doesn't change the fact all he's done is hire people other teams wanted to steal. We'd still be a joke of a franchise if he wasn't brought in.

Reactions: thinkblue

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Ask a gud coach what he thinks about, hyman yzerman....or lidstrom

Here is what I will posit to board members.... Its one thing to have a great player inherited or just recently ripenened..

what the heck do you do with such a player or person...

Myself I TOOK three years off work to bring up my son...

Was it worth it...

Was Mike BABCOCK constantly telling a suspicious audience in toronto after being guaranteed tons of money usd that some jabroney from toronto of all places, was a gem of gems a real gud pro.... ZACH HYMAN..

LOL, possibly the smartest thing Babcock ever did...

Is anyone calling MIKE a fool now.... not I said the sports pig....I was the first person to call out luke schenn as a kid who was overhyped, I WAS the first guy online to also say hey, this hyman might be everything mikey the guy we love to hate, says he is

I was the first person online to say ryan oreilly is or should be top three in the draft...

All eye test. No smell no analytics... I mean did anyone need a second or third look at begosian last year..

GUY came in and basically said, ya sure, call me a number whatever,, six five whatever he just skated got pucks out and hurt anyone who got in his way...

And yet everyone still debated whether this guy, was relevant...

Ladies and gents..... Zach

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013

Here is what I will posit to board members.... Its one thing to have a great player inherited or just recently ripenened..

Was it worth it...

Was Mike BABCOCK constantly telling a suspicious audience in toronto after being guaranteed tons of money usd that some jabroney from toronto of all places, was a gem of gems a real gud pro.... ZACH HYMAN..

Is anyone calling MIKE a fool now.... not I said the sports pig....I was the first person to call out luke schenn as a kid who was overhyped, I WAS the first guy online to also say hey, this hyman might be everything mikey the guy we love to hate, says he is

I was the first person online to say ryan oreilly is or should be top three in the draft...

All eye test. No smell no analytics... I mean did anyone need a second or third look at begosian last year..

GUY came in and basically said, ya sure, call me a number whatever,, six five whatever he just skated got pucks out and hurt anyone who got in his way...

This is confusing, are you saying Hyman is as good as Yzerman and Lidstrom ?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Was it worth it...

I was the first to say that Wayne Gretzky was going to be great. Everyone else was saying he was too small but I refused they eye test and relied on statistics.

Reactions: crump

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Detroit looks like a different team than the last couple years so far this season though. Not a playoff team or anything but actually have some talent and hungry, young players in the line up. Added a completely new top pair in the offseason+ Raymond looks legit up front.
Just wished our Trailerpark'Bertuzzi got poked so he could be in the game tonight so he could harass Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Nylander.

5sdm53.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: newfy and Leaf Fans

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
I find it very hard to believe that Detroit is any good whatsoever in reality. I noticed one thing that no forward on the Red Wings is getting over 18:30 minutes per game. That's usually a sign of some serious bench management. Maybe the Wings will do what that New Jersey team did in 2017-18. That NJ team was all high tempo and high energy from nobodies like Bratt, Wood, Gibbons and Coleman that lifted up a team nobody expected to compete.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Wow. Crazy, love the ”what is happening?” comment.

If that was the Leafs, I guaranteed it would have been a game that put them out of draft lottery position.

You can't play like that for long stretches but if they come out tonight like that... that's our Leafs' team Achilles' heel, getting out-competed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That is literally how we were built out of the gate. Our forwards were all speedy 2 way wingers and the ELC guys were all top 10 in take aways. Even Hitchcock made a comment about how Leafs give you no room and are one of the hardest teams to play against.

The person you're quoting even says "much like 2017 Leafs".

Shanny is a good thing for this organization. Our current struggles doesn't change the fact all he's done is hire people other teams wanted to steal. We'd still be a joke of a franchise if he wasn't brought in.

We don’t play like that anymore

It’s not 2017

They can have them

5 1st round loses and a Zamboni driver fiasco are pretty close to on their way back. Especially if it’s a 6th time fail.

Reactions: Havoc

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
If Simmonds gets the guys going he’s worth more than his deal..

I really didn't like his choice of a fight in Pittsburgh last Saturday. The game was out of reach and he wasn't responding to any single player or disrespect on the ice. He didn't have a particular opponent in mind, just went out itching for a fight with anyone.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I suggest the team wins today.

Our next three after tonight are Vegas, Boston, and Tampa Bay, so it could get rocky. Losing tonight would compound that

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Wings will be tougher than Vegas. DeBoer has DeBoered that team into mediocrity.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Our line combinations have little cohesion. Not expecting much offense tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad