Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs the red wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Statsman1

Oct 31, 2014
Games like this are all-or-nothing.

We should beat DET, based on overall talent. But those guys (obviously) work their butts off, and are achieving better results than anyone expected.

The way things are going, it feels very hard to say with any confidence that the Leafs are going to win.

There is a guy I play poker with…one thing he does is calls big river bets and says, “I hope you’re bluffing.” meaning that he hopes to win, just by showing up, because the other guy is just acting stronger than he really is.*

I sure hope this is not one of those “I hope you’re bluffing.” Leafs efforts.

*I should mention that more often than not, the other guy is not bluffing, giving my friend lots to think about as he drives home.

Reactions: weems

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
We don’t play like that anymore

It’s not 2017

They can have them

5 1st round loses and a Zamboni driver fiasco are pretty close to on their way back. Especially if it’s a 6th time fail.

You called out shanny incorrectly. That's all I'm saying. I agree things aren't as happy as 2016-2020 right now.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Have we erased last Saturday's fiasco in Pittsburgh from our memories? That was at least as bad as the Zamboni driver game. Look at how Pittsburgh got smoked in the 2 following games.

Reactions: glue

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
One thing for sure: tonight's game is a huge game for Detroit. Will the Leafs treat it like that type of game themselves?

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Games like this are all-or-nothing.

We should beat DET, based on overall talent. But those guys (obviously) work their butts off, and are achieving better results than anyone expected.

The way things are going, it feels very hard to say with any confidence that the Leafs are going to win.

There is a guy I play poker with…one thing he does is calls big river bets and says, “I hope you’re bluffing.” meaning that he hopes to win, just by showing up, because the other guy is just acting stronger than he really is.*

I sure hope this is not one of those “I hope you’re bluffing.” Leafs efforts.

*I should mention that more often than not, the other guy is not bluffing, giving my friend lots to think about as he drives home.

Big river bets are almost never bluffs.

Outside of high stakes, people who bet large on the river almost always have it.

Reactions: Statsman1 and egd27

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If only the leafs could get absolutely dominated like that.

Yea, Florida would have gotten the first shot through to the net. No point sacrificing your body blocking shots like that when you have a goalie back there.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

Pretty much if our D core including Liljegren plays well today, Keefe won't hesitate to stick with it.

First solid coaching move I've seen from Keefe in a while. Can't be scared to make players accountable or make changes. I find he too often sticks with things too long. The fact he even let Muzzin-Holl play together the rest of the Chicago game after the first two goals against, was mind boggling

Reactions: stickty111

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
He had a heck of a playoffs for us, but Kerfoot as a winger in the top 6 just doesn't seem to fit. I'd rather try Engvall there at this point to be honest. Can't help but think his 3.5mil could be better spent elsewhere. Especially once Mikheyev is healthy. As is we have guys like Ho-Sang in the system who I think would be a better fit in the top 6 for cheap

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Anyone got a guess at what time on the clock it will be at the 10 minute mark of the first?
7:35 ish?

Figure I may as well not show up until the Leafs do.

Reactions: Trapper

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
First solid coaching move I've seen from Keefe in a while. Can't be scared to make players accountable or make changes. I find he too often sticks with things too long. The fact he even let Muzzin-Holl play together the rest of the Chicago game after the first two goals against, was mind boggling
Agreed. It's a huge game for Liljegren today. He plays well then he might become more of a regular.

Reactions: Nylander88

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We generally don't tend to fare well against hard working teams.

We get out-hustled and out-worked, and lose interest for most of the game, and fail to dictate the pace of the game. Rather, it gets dictated to us and we just try to hang on, also known as "not starting on time".

If we are within 1 or 2 goals by the 3rd period, we somehow find motivation to play hard for 10-12 minutes, and either squeak by or lose after a mad flurry.

What we leave with is a loss, but a "wow did they come alive and make it close".

What we should be focusing on is "wow, we lost to a team we should beat and only played 10 minutes of a 60 minute game".

Would love to be wrong and eat my words here......

Reactions: glue and egd27

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Anyone got a guess at what time on the clock it will be at the 10 minute mark of the first?

Do us all a favor and don't watch the game. It's Saturday night. You have options

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Starting on time would be a nice change.

Matthews carrying over the intensity from last game and the rest of the band taking note and following would also be great.

Reactions: egd27

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Fairly sure he did split them up a bit... Or maybe that was a different game.

He definitely cut their minutes. They lost a few shifts.

Reactions: Nylander88

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Fairly sure he did split them up a bit... Or maybe that was a different game.

He definitely cut their minutes. They lost a few shifts.
I didn't see them split but I could be wrong. Cuz I was specifically looking for them to be split. However it's very possible he cut their minutes down, I definitely believe that as my eye test saw a lot more Rielly-Brodie, Sandin-Dermott in the later stages

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Wouldn't hate seeing a good ol' fashion fight tonight. Time for Ritchie to start throwing hands if he's just going to be a 2.5mil 4th liner. I hope he gets himself back into a top 9 spot though at some point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad