Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Tampa game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don’t want to see another post game presser with their hats covering their faces again for the 6th time in a row.

Please, ffs, show some balls and win one of the NINE elimination games you will have played.

Other than the refs, Campbell worries me the most going to this one.
Campbell is our biggest question mark for sure. If he has one of his good games then I like our chances and if he doesn't, it's gonna be tough.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
There's plenty of blatant calls to make in OT, they opted not to. Engvall is elbowed in the face, Bunting is elbowed in the face, Matthews is held. These are all easy penalties in the first or second period. But they put the whistles away after a blown 5on3 call.

And to your first point, if you're unsure, you don't guess. They guessed on Kampf and missed.

There were several Toronto infractions that weren’t called in OT. I’m sure you only want the PPs though, right?

From the angle the referee had, 100 referees out of a 100 call that a high stick. It’s great that you have slow motion instant replay from 5 different angles, but there’s nothing the referees can do in real time there except not call something that looks like a blatant high stick.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Expecting big night from Mathews and Marner. Leafs are getting it done. I will be at the game and hopefully in the streets celebrating after. Let’s go !!!

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There were several Toronto infractions that weren’t called in OT. I’m sure you only want the PPs though, right?

From the angle the referee had, 100 referees out of a 100 call that a high stick. It’s great that you have slow motion instant replay from 5 different angles, but there’s nothing the referees can do in real time there except not call something that looks like a blatant high stick.
Doubtful 100% call that, but a lot would.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Bettman was giving orders he’d favour the Leafs. When the Leafs are eliminated the biggest market in the NHL forgets about hockey.
People must forget that All American superstar, Rocket Richard league leading goal scorer, and likely soon Hart Trophy as league MVP Awesome Austin Matthews plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Watching USA's own prodigy and best Hockey player in the World hoist the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP and then the Stanley Cup would only increase viewership, south of the border. American's following and supporting the career of Auston Matthews should not be ignored.

Combine that with Canada's own largest and frenzy fan base and you have a formula to maximizing viewership across North American and thus revenue which drives the salary Cap and profit margins. Half of Canada's TVs will go dark should Toronto lose today, and that would be real bad for business.

This Bettman conspiracy nonsense suggests he would rather see Canada's own Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron & Nathan Mackinnon etc hoist the Cup to increase American revenue streams in only a single US city based market is complete hogwash. IMO

Those conspirators who be better off suggesting Bettman wants Toronto to lose, because then USA All-World player Matthews might leave when his contract ends, go HOME to play in big USA markets like New York or Los Angeles and then grow the game and viewership exponentially around Big Apple Matthews or California Dreaming Auston.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nineteen67

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Campbell is our biggest question mark for sure. If he has one of his good games then I like our chances and if he doesn't, it's gonna be tough.

That was a very disappointing OT from him the other night. Vasi stood on his head with their season on the line while Jack let in their first real chance that wasn’t a blocked attempt. He has to have the game of his life just like he should have last game.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

The Tampa/Toronto series has the greatest penalty differential of any series this season.......in favor of Tampa.

...and thats coming off a season in which Tampa took more penalties than the Leafs.

The rational side of my brain keeps telling me its a coincidence year after year but its been like half-decade of coincidences when it comes to penalties. This series has been weird in just the total amount of penalties called too but the Bruns series of the past were borderline disgraces when it coms to officiating IMO....

...and anyone who wants to say "stop blaming the refs" has to then acknowledge that the Leafs have then been the unluckiest team in modern times when it comes to these penalty "coincidences".

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
That was a very disappointing OT from him the other night. Vasi stood on his head with their season on the line while Jack let in their first real chance that wasn’t a blocked attempt. He has to have the game of his life just like he should have last game.

Yup, It's all about Campbell tonight. Can he finally be the Potvin, Cujo, Belfour this team has needed?

Game 5 showed he was capable of it and it's time for him to close the show.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
People must forget that All American superstar, Rocket Richard league leading goal scorer, and likely soon Hart Trophy as league MVP Awesome Austin Matthews plays for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Watching USA's own prodigy and best Hockey player in the World hoist the Conn Smythe as playoff MVP and then the Stanley Cup would only increase viewership, south of the border. American's following and supporting the career of Auston Matthews should not be ignored.

Combine that with Canada's own largest and frenzy fan base and you have a formula to maximizing viewership across North American and thus revenue which drives the salary Cap and profit margins. Half of Canada's TVs will go dark should Toronto lose today, and that would be real bad for business.

This Bettman conspiracy nonsense suggests he would rather see Canada's own Steven Stamkos, Sidney Crosby, Patrice Bergeron & Nathan Mackinnon etc hoist the Cup to increase American revenue streams in only a single US city based market is complete hogwash. IMO

Those conspirators who be better off suggesting Bettman wants Toronto to lose, because then USA All-World player Matthews might leave when his contract ends to play in big USA markets like New York or Los Angeles and then grow the game and viewership exponentially around Big Apple Matthews or California Dreaming Auston.
Its really more about losing the large southern Ontario audience which could impact the bidding on the next Canadian TV contract.

67leafs

Oct 17, 2019
I just bought ticks for panthers 2 home games next week. It better be the leafs……….just sayin

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005

I want either the penalties called or the game managed well. Not a poorly managed game like we saw.

The whistles were largely away for the game, except for a short spurt where an incorrect call was made, arguably 2 but im fine with Kerf being called, to create a 5on3 in the third period of an elimination game.

We all know it's a blown call, we all know there were egregious misses the other way. It's tough to suck and blow at the same time, but we saw exactly that last game with the whistles away outside a significant 2 man advantage.

Take a giant step back and we saw a relatively quietly called game except for a major miss that dramatically influenced the period and potentially the outcome.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Dangerous plan man. Last time I drank for a Game 7, I not only had a miserable time watching the game but the hangover the next day was amplified by the residual disappointment.

But if you plan to sleep through it, it might work! 😅

I'm gonna drink, I just can't imagine doing it any other way. Not gonna go overboard or anything, just enough to take the edge off.

I'm not going to worry about the past today. It's playoff hockey and we have one of two great teams going at it tonight in a game 7 which is pretty much the most enjoyable thing there in sports for me. It hasn't been often in the last 50+ years that I've felt in the 1st round that we have a team that's one of the top favorites to take it all, this is as good as it gets. I can't understand those that won't watch because of nerves/fear or whatever, come on guys, this is what it's all about and the fear of losing just makes winning all that much sweeter!

This is what we played 82 games for - to have game 7 at home. We are at home and for that reason, we are slight favorites for this one. Let's not forget that and repeat to yourself if you need to - we are the favorites tonight.

I had some money in some online betting accounts (been doing a little bonus whoring). I take most of it out when I've cleared the bonuses but I always leave some in for fun and I bet it all on the Leafs tonight. Not a huge amount but enough to buy an upper shelf bottle of scotch.

I love this team and I'm a believer. May the force be with you Jack and GLG!!!!!!!

Reactions: deprw and egd27

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
What will happen will happem.

If the Leafs wins, yeah. I'll look forward to their series against the Panthers and possibly more Leafs hockey after that.

If the Leafs lose, I'll switch the channel to something non-hockey-related and move on. I'll feel annoyed for a few hours but after that, I'll just switch the energy I'd have spent following the Leafs to other interests.

Don't get me wrong. seeing the Leafs win a cup would be fun, but ultimately, whether or not it happens has very little impact on my life. Although, it seems others see the Leafs winning a Cup as some kind of life-changing jexperience, which just strikes me as weird.

Reactions: freshwind

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I want either the penalties called or the game managed well. Not a poorly managed game like we saw.

The whistles were largely away for the game, except for a short spurt where an incorrect call was made, arguably 2 but im fine with Kerf being called, to create a 5on3 in the third period of an elimination game.

We all know it's a blown call, we all know there were egregious misses the other way. It's tough to suck and blow at the same time, but we saw exactly that last game with the whistles away outside a significant 2 man advantage.

No argument from me that there have been some poorly officiated games, but it isn’t biased, and some of the things people complain about are ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad