Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Tampa game 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
We all knew this was going to happen. I can't say I am upset. Our team played with a lot of heart, but we have to beat Tampa by getting a lead on them. We have the crowd on our side and the stats say these teams split win from loss. So by the numbers, we have a shot at this game given the pattern of this series.

Can't rely on ref calls to save us. A powerplay would go a long way but when we had a PP last game, we got scored on. This game 7 comes down to every player doing their job. Campbell shutting the door and our guys scoring on vasi early and often. Tampa is good at coming back when the have a powerplay, so don't take stupid penalties and don't give their top guys so much time in our zone.

This is winnable. We just have to actually win.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Honestly, I think the leafs will need a early 1st period goal by matthews to win. Because i think once he gets one….he gets rolling and will get multiple.

Marner needs to be better than today for sure. Nylander needs to keep it up. JT just needs to be average at this point in his career like today. Campbell cant lose us the game like he kind of did today. Just be not bad.

Reactions: makbeer

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
We're getting reffed out of the playoffs yet again. I called this before the playoffs. It is honestly legit impressive this team has made a game 7 with what they've had to fight through. The league has somehow made the "soft, not built for the playoffs Leafs" the league leader in penalties these playoffs (BY A LARGE MARGIN TOO).

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
We need to stay out of the box and Campbell has to play to his potential.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
If the Leafs score first I think they'll win, really just that simple. You can't spot Tampa a 2 goal lead constantly and expect to just come back. You can't give them yet another early lead at home in game 7. You certainly can't give them any leads ever with the reffing the way it is. They also can't afford to have anymore periods with 4-5 shots total because wth is that.

No score predictions from me simply because of the Leafs history. This one is 50/50

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
I think you are in for a sad surprise. Not saying I disagree... just don't see it going that way.
Nah, this can't be possible. No way Shanahan will be allowed to continue after overseeing the Leafs setting the NHL record for most consecutive opening round losses with 6 (I'm including the 2020 play ins as an opening round).

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Nah, this can't be possible. No way Shanahan will be allowed to continue after overseeing the Leafs setting the NHL record for most consecutive opening round losses with 6 (I'm including the 2020 play ins as an opening round).
Yea... hard to fathom. Maybe we have to set the record before we are allowed to move on. I just think he and Dubas will be given the opportunity to change the core... so I figure one more year. But who knows, maybe they decide to pull the chute.

At this point it is constant underachieving.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Yea... hard to fathom. Maybe we have to set the record before we are allowed to move on. I just think he and Dubas will be given the opportunity to change the core... so I figure one more year. But who knows, maybe they decide to pull the chute.

At this point it is constant underachieving.
Dubas burned 6.3M this offseason on Mrazek+Ritchie when he could have just re-signed Hyman+added a cheaper tandem option. Why would ownership trust him again heading into another offseason? Even the season before, overpaid way too much for the Foligno rental probably because he was already envisioning round 3 and looking past the "weak" North division. Offseason before that he acquired Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci to round out a right side that ended up also having rookie Justin Holl. Dubas punted the 2019-20 season altogether just by running that putrid right side.

Reactions: TheBigThree

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
In the post-game Matthews sounds confident and ready for game 7. Not at all dwelling on the loss or the team's history. For what it's worth, I think that's a good thing.

As for the game, Toronto didn't look scared or hesitant. They played well overall and showed something. We all knew going into this season it's going to hang on how far they go. If they win Saturday no one is going to remember or care how difficult it was to get that 4th win. They just have to get it and move on to round 2.

If they lose, that's what will matter as well, but so far I've liked this team in this series far more than teams past. In one game, anything can happen but I do hope for these guys they win it and put this all behind them. I don't doubt for a second how much they want to win and this series they have looked like they're capable. But again, Saturday ...

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Finally, the last game of the fraudulent Shanahan era.
Yeah let's go back to the Burke/Nonis days.
Dubas burned 6.3M this offseason on Mrazek+Ritchie when he could have just re-signed Hyman+added a cheaper tandem option. Why would ownership trust him again heading into another offseason? Even the season before, overpaid way too much for the Foligno rental probably because he was already envisioning round 3 and looking past the "weak" North division. Offseason before that he acquired Tyson Barrie and Cody Ceci to round out a right side that ended up also having rookie Justin Holl. Dubas punted the 2019-20 season altogether just by running that putrid right side.
We weren't going to match what Edmonton gave Hyman and we would have been idiots to do it. He's honestly not that good.

tmlfan98

Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Yeah let's go back to the Burke/Nonis days.

We weren't going to match what Edmonton gave Hyman and we would have been idiots to do it. He's honestly not that good.
I find it hilarious when the default response to "fire Dubas" is assuming that person wants to return to the clownshow Burke/Nonis days. How about some fans want more for this team than just being eliminated in 7 games every year or worse? Would you really rather make it 7 first round losses in a row next year than actually search for a better option than Dubas?

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
I have a way better feeling going into game 7 this year than I did last year. Maybe because we'll have a full building and Leafs won't be lifeless like whatever that was vs the Habs

Campbell cannot allow a softie again, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad