Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Lightning

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
They get to the net front as much as any team, and more than most. The other teams D can literally murder a Leaf in front of the net, and never a call.

I was talking literally off the rush. After we work it around the horn a few times we do get it to the front but everyone is in position defensively at that point (generally speaking). Its the drive the net off the rush we don't do enough of imo.

Not arguing about net front opportunities.

Reactions: egd27

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Has to be one the weakest third lines in the entire league....... what's Kadri's phone number? It ramps up the pressure big time on the top two lines. Who ever thought having a defensive- ONLY third line was a good idea?

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Slightly OT, but why is it year after year the Leafs draw the short end of the stick when it comes to PP opportunities, and times short handed?

Some would say 10 games is a small sample size where they are currently 27th in PP opportunities, but it's been going on for years. Especially a puck possession team like Toronto. It really makes no sense.

The Leafs don't force the opponent to take penalties. Puck possession doesn't draw penalties unless you engage the defence. Toronto often avoids battles and remains on the outside.

Reactions: ACC1224

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Slightly OT, but why is it year after year the Leafs draw the short end of the stick when it comes to PP opportunities, and times short handed?

Some would say 10 games is a small sample size where they are currently 27th in PP opportunities, but it's been going on for years. Especially a puck possession team like Toronto. It really makes no sense.

PP opportunities is almost exclusively tied to penalties taken. The refs manage the game in such that if one team gets a PP, the other inevitably will. If you look at the penalties taken vs. penalties drawn list, every team is almost identical in their standings of each.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They are quite clearly a pure shutdown line that is doing quite well at it.

That's it, but come playoff time teams need depth scoring and unless Spezza has another strong series like he did last year vs. Montreal, the Leafs aren't getting anything from their bottom 6 offense-wise.

And that usually is a recipe for a short playoff run unless your stars really step up.

So ... yeah.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
That's it, but come playoff time teams need depth scoring and unless Spezza has another strong series like he did last year vs. Montreal, the Leafs aren't getting anything from their bottom 6 offense-wise.

And that usually is a recipe for a short playoff run unless your stars really step up.

So ... yeah.

The Tampa Bay Lightning Playoff goal scoring:

Top 6: 48 (70%)
Bottom 6: 21

Toronto's problem has always been their stars showing up in the playoffs.... Depth scoring shouldnt be the main source of goals, but to supplement your stars showing up.

Reactions: Fogelhund

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Rubins getting the nod as the 7th D. The Leafs are really high on him and I suspect he's a big reason why Dermott/Holl are on the block.

Yes, there was mention of wanting to make room for younger D. I guess Rubins is that guy. If we can get a 6’4/5”, 220lb guy to be a useful D man, that is certainly someone we could use in the lineup.

Reactions: Rocker13

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
I haven't watched alot of Rubins. What are his strengths besides size? Can he skate, make a good first pass, fight for pucks on the boards and in front of the net? I was impressed with Kral in preseason, I think he should be given a look-see when he's ready.

budzz

History is just that.
Jan 26, 2015
This likely signals that Dermott will not be playing today?

axman15

Sep 6, 2012
Toronto
Is our bottom 6 any worse than Tampa’s right now? I don’t think so.

Ours will look better once Mikheyev returns, he’s pretty unlucky when it comes to finishing but at least he provides chances.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I haven't watched alot of Rubins. What are his strengths besides size? Can he skate, make a good first pass, fight for pucks on the boards and in front of the net? I was impressed with Kral in preseason, I think he should be given a look-see when he's ready.

Very strong on the puck and defensive minded. He skates very well and has good IQ defensively (positioning, active stick, etc). He can pass well and sometimes he'll surprise you with some skill in the offensive zone but it's probably what is holding him back to the most.

For a big guy, he's not the most physical. He's similar to Holl there in some aspects.

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Seems odd to call up Rubins if Dermott is GTD. Unless they are putting in Rubins instead of Holl if Dermott can't go which would be interesting but wouldn't mind.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Very strong on the puck and defensive minded. He skates very well and has good IQ defensively (positioning, active stick, etc). He can pass well and sometimes he'll surprise you with some skill in the offensive zone but it's probably what is holding him back to the most.

For a big guy, he's not the most physical. He's similar to Holl there in some aspects.
Thanks for that Spr. Impressive. I say give him a shot. We know what Holl can do and if he skates and passes better than him, we can afford to shop Dermott and Holl around.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017

This is a bad sign for Holl

Daymn mayne, like for real sire. He ain't an option it seems at this point. Real juicy this is getting. Our team getting their dirt together too. Last gezame we was totally in control, dominating that thang. Hard. Now we facing the cup champion. X times. We might win AGAIN TONIGHT! :clap: lets see how many our suckas is gon score tonight sire. This is fun.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto

Sounds like Marincin

Reactions: SprDaVE

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad