Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Lightning

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
This says a hell of a lot for how Keefe feels about Holl.

Figured he would’ve went to Rielly-Brodie / Muzzin-Holl but happy that Keefe can see Holl is garbage
Honestly, I think Holl will bounce back. He is far from the player he has shown thus far this year. I think he got complacent for the first time in his NHL career. His game relies on simplicity, which he has been far from this year. Happy to see them take him out of the lineup these past 2 games, it was well deserved.

Sucks that Derms was absent from practice though, I thought he's played great with Mo the last 2 games, and overall I've loved the pairings. If he is sick or dealing with something and Holl has to check in, I completely agree with Keefe in putting him on the bottom pairing. He's got to earn his way back into the lineup. Although a Sandin Holl pairing really does scare me. I am not sure there are many other options though TBH. I think elevating Timmy is a great call, and I just don't want to see Muzzin and Holl share the ice for a while. They have both been terribly slow this year, and making questionable reads in defensive/neutral ice. Hopefully if Holl plays with Sandin he can get the puck off his blade quick and let Sandin break it out or lug it into neutral ice on his own. Just really need Holl to simplify. High and hard will not be a bad play the next 2 games.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The D will have to move the puck a lot quicker if TB is forechecking like they normally do and the forwards will have to back check and help out.
For those of you that haven’t seen Tampa in the past two years, they can be mean and dirty, so you have to on your toes.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Rielly-Liljegren seeing heavy minutes against Tampa is a recipe for many goals against.
Rielly and Dermott would be way worse.

Or is this just another crack at Liljegren from the peanut gallery?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Ha, this was going to be my response. Add an 'R' and you have your answer. We rarely drive the net... it is 50/50 between the stop and curl at the hash or take it behind the net. That's just who our guys are... it sucks, but really do we want more PP time right now... lol
They get to the net front as much as any team, and more than most. The other teams D can literally murder a Leaf in front of the net, and never a call.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Rielly and Dermott would be way worse.

Or is this just another crack at Liljegren from the peanut gallery?
I like Liljegren, I just don't think he should play top pair yet, especially against a really strong team like Tampa.

Keefe should reunite Rielly-Brodie and give them heavy all around minutes tomorrow, with Muzzin-Liljegren as the 2nd pair with tough defensive matchups. Sandin-Holl should be extremely sheltered.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Is that actually a thing though? The teams that take the most penalties are also on the PP the most.

For me it seems the Leafs play a passive game so few penalties either way.
Yeah, it is. A few teams buck the trend, Avs, Panthers, Ducks, Sharks, Habs and Canes, but most are basically equal on penalties taken vs drawn.

Penalties drawn rank vs penalties taken rank over the last 3 seasons:

Avs - 1/11
Rangers - 2/2
Bolts - 3/1
Panthers - 4/16
Bruins - 5/7
Nucks - 6/8
Caps - 7/4
Sens - 8/6
Wild - 9/12
Preds - 10/10
Flames - 11/14
Hawks - 12/24
Flyers - 13/18
Yotes - 14/20
Devils - 15/17
Sharks - 16/5
Jets - 17/26
Wings - 18/13
Oilers - 19/23
Pens - 20/25
Canes - 21/9
Ducks - 22/3
Knights - 23/22
Kings - 24/27
Stars - 25/21
Blues - 26/19
Habs - 27/15
Leafs - 28/28
Sabres - 29/30
Isles - 30/29
Jackets - 31/31

The message seems to be if your special teams are good, be dirty and take penalties. You'll come out of it with more PP that way.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yeah, it is. A few teams buck the trend, Avs, Panthers, Ducks, Sharks and Canes, but most are basically equal on penalties taken vs drawn.

Penalties drawn rank vs penalties taken rank over the last 3 seasons:

Avs - 1/11
Rangers - 2/2
Bolts - 3/1
Panthers - 4/16
Bruins - 5/7
Nucks - 6/8
Caps - 7/4
Sens - 8/6
Wild - 9/12
Preds - 10/10
Flames - 11/14
Hawks - 12/24
Flyers - 13/18
Yotes - 14/20
Devils - 15/17
Sharks - 16/5
Jets - 17/26
Wings - 18/13
Oilers - 19/23
Pens - 20/25
Canes - 21/9
Ducks - 22/3
Knights - 23/22
Kings - 24/27
Stars - 25/21
Blues - 26/19
Habs - 27/15
Leafs - 28/28
Sabres - 29/30
Isles - 30/29
Jackets - 31/31

The message seems to be if your special teams are good, be dirty and take penalties. You'll come out of it with more PP that way.
That’s amazing. Where the Leafs fall doesn’t really surprise me but I am surprised by some of the teams listed around them.
Thanks for listing that out.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Leafs consistently have amongst the most scoring chances from in tight on top of the crease in the league.
I wasn't talking about standing in front of the net, although I think they stand off to the side trying to deflect shots too much rather than actually screening the goalies more. I was referring to actually driving the net off the rush rather than the big stop and turn-back they do so often. Also they should take the puck more to the net from the half boards and corners instead of always staying on the perimeter. I'm glad they're getting net front chances but I also believe the other things I mentioned will help us especially come playoffs.

Reactions: wingman75

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Sorry, have to ask.

What defines a net front opportunity and how does it differ from an xGF or a HD scoring chance?

Opportunities from the goal line to 10 ft out

upload_2021-11-3_21-31-38.jpeg

The Science of Scoring

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Lilly has been great but top pair against Tampa? that seems like a risk they don't need to take

Idk, their options are limited (sleeping Holl or a banged up Dermott?) & the worst that could happen is he gets walked around in an early regular season game to Tampa.

I think there's a lot of potential upside for him & the team in this if he manages this experience or even plays well. It is nice to see Keefe show some deserved confidence in him.

I agree with some of the posters above. I love what Kampf has been doing from a defensive standpoint but I think Kase has more offense to give and won't be able to give it beside Kampf.

Maybe swap Kase and Ritchie?

Bunting - Matthews - Nylander
Kerfoot - Tavares - Marner
Ritchie - Kampf - Engvall
Kase - Spezza - Simmonds

Problem is, I don't think Ritchie has the defense to give on that line with Kampf...

I've liked Kase playing with Kampf but do think they should give him some shifts with different players outside the d-zone; they are underutilizing him a bit.

Reactions: LeafChief

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Mrazek not 100% again? Oh boy
Yeah big f***in surprise sire.

But yeah we will freakin TEACH THESE SUCKAS HOW TO PLAY ICE HOCKEY TOMORROW NIGHT Y*ALL!! We gon get even MORE AND MORE gezoals from our star players come tomorrow night. :clap: WE AS TORONTO FANS LOVE IT AND SCORING! HARD! We do want to see goals, fights, hits and thuggin. We are torontonians. After gilmour, clark, sundin, joe, tucker, quinn, burns, domi, belfour(drunk), potvin and otha killas. We love life in general. And generals.

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Dermott spent a lot of time out of the last game, I'd imagine something is going on with him
like getting hit in the foot with the puck on a shot? X'rays were fine, could still be a touch sore, eh?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad