Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Jets

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Meh, Winnipeg is a great up and coming team and would not be too upset if we come out of this with an L as long as it is a good game. They are largely irrelevant to us considering we play only twice a year and any meaningful playoff game would have to be a SCF which is probably unlikely for at least a couple years. So let's not feed into the the media fueled rivalry and appreciate both players for what they are.

....Matthews is better

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Have to think that the Leafs are in tough this game. Winnipeg has a fantastic home crowd and will be a hostile environment to which to play. They are going to come out guns-a-blazin' tonight. Have to weather that first 10 minutes and try to counter. Expect Laine to have a big game - always seems to play very well against Toronto - perhaps jaded that we passed on him in the draft. Hope I'm wrong and the Leafs pull out a huge win to start the season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Lets be honest, at #15, not a great amount was expected from EK.
You could pick at 15, 100x, and not get an EK.

#8 is just a little bit better, but again you weren't sure.
I'm not sure what that has to do with my argument? Point wasn't the hype around Laine the prospect. It's the absolute reverence that is displayed for him around here. We basically have 32 fanbases on this site. One for each of the 31 different teams, and one for Laine. Meanwhile, a borderline generational defender is just a player in Sweden. It's a striking difference, and I'm just pondering the reasons for why Laine became more than a player to the Finns.

If you look at European football, people being fans of one player rather than a team is much more common. Haven't really seen it in hockey before.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Highlights don't give a full picture of what a player is, but i will say this; 50% of those goals were absolute rockets that could only come from a top of the pile elite goalscorer, 20% supplied, 10% EN.

The other 20% though, just some god damn awful defensive play- the guy is 6'4, how the **** do they lose him so easily? the guy probably has one of the highest shot vs pass percentages in the league (with one of the best shots to boot)- so why don't they play the odds and make more aggressive plays on him when he's in a shooting position?

Obviously there's a reason im no NHLer, but still, you gotta question the hockey sense of some of the players who let one of the best snipers in the game stand un-checked in prime scoring locations.

I might be a homer, but Matthews was definitely played much tighter than it seems Laine was.

Absolutely agree with everything you've said.

And maybe that's the other half of Laine's brilliance is his ability to find open ice? Or maybe the league took awhile to respect this guy as being extremely dangerous?

Like you, I see allot of goals where Laine is given all the space and time and freedom in the world. His passing lanes are left wide open and unchallenged. And logic tells me that this year they will likely check him closer out of respect.

It's why I worry less about Matthews slumping as most of his goals has him scoring with 1 or two players checking him in close.

If I were to predict sophomore slumps, I'd predict both he and Marner might go through some growing pains this year. I predict Marner because he's smaller and will likely get some tight checking this year as well. And he tends to shy away when played more physically.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Have to think that the Leafs are in tough this game. Winnipeg has a fantastic home crowd and will be a hostile environment to which to play. They are going to come out guns-a-blazin' tonight. Have to weather that first 10 minutes and try to counter. Expect Laine to have a big game - always seems to play very well against Toronto - perhaps jaded that we passed on him in the draft. Hope I'm wrong and the Leafs pull out a huge win to start the season.
Even he knew he wasn't going first, 2nd was the best he could ever hope for.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
So I'm in Ottawa at a conference for work - will I have a problem getting the Leaf game here? Someone said I won't be able to get it on TV

You probably won't find it on TV but if you Google the phrases "Reddit" "Your favorite sports league" and "stream" together you may find a page of interest for you.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Even he knew he wasn't going first, 2nd was the best he could ever hope for.

Maybe, but Laine does seem to have that swagger about him; cocky arrogance if you will. I'm sure there's a part of him that expected (or at least genuinely felt hopeful about) to go 1st overall.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe, but Laine does seem to have that swagger about him; cocky arrogance if you will. I'm sure there's a part of him that expected (or at least genuinely felt hopeful about) to go 1st overall.
Possibly, he's never struck me as being too bright.

Reactions: al secord

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Possibly, he's never struck me as being too bright.

Damn, bro. Throwing that shade. :laugh: Say what you will about his intelligence or character - doesn't change the fact that he's one hell of an incredible player. It would be wise of the Leafs to respect his shot tonight.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

Be-leaf.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
I'm not sure what that has to do with my argument? Point wasn't the hype around Laine the prospect. It's the absolute reverence that is displayed for him around here. We basically have 32 fanbases on this site. One for each of the 31 different teams, and one for Laine. Meanwhile, a borderline generational defender is just a player in Sweden. It's a striking difference, and I'm just pondering the reasons for why Laine became more than a player to the Finns.

If you look at European football, people being fans of one player rather than a team is much more common. Haven't really seen it in hockey before.

I've seen it with soccer and the Olympics. Small countries interested in elevating their standing in the world stake their reputation on some athlete to give them what they believe will be world recognition. Finland has never won Olympic hockey gold, and hasn't had a true hockey superstar since Selanne 20 years ago. They aren't a soccer powerhouse, and don't produce much in either the Summer or Winter Olympics. Laine is all they have. That's why they are all in on Laine.

The unfortunate part for them is that had the Leafs drafted 2nd overall and had chosen Laine, they would've had the backing of the Canadian and NHL media too just by virtue of being associated with Toronto. Toronto would've turned Laine into a god, which I'm sure Laine fans would've loved. The worst thing that could've happened to Laine fans is being #2 to #1 Matthews in Toronto, and the war machine that comes along with fighting against the Canadian media and millions of Leafs fans. That's the only fight they can never win. And had Matthews been drafted anywhere else other than Toronto, Laine fans' lives would've been so much easier.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I've seen it with soccer and the Olympics. Small countries interested in elevating their standing in the world stake their reputation on some athlete to give them what they believe will be world recognition. Finland has never won Olympic hockey gold, and hasn't had a true hockey superstar since Selanne 20 years ago. They aren't a soccer powerhouse, and don't produce much in either the Summer or Winter Olympics. Laine is all they have. That's why they are all in on Laine.

The unfortunate part for them is that had the Leafs drafted 2nd overall and had chosen Laine, they would've had the backing of the Canadian and NHL media too just by virtue of being associated with Toronto. Toronto would've turned Laine into a god, which I'm sure Laine fans would've loved. The worst thing that could've happened to Laine fans is being #2 to #1 Matthews in Toronto, and the war machine that comes along with fighting against the Canadian media and millions of Leafs fans. That's the only fight they can never win. And had Matthews been drafted anywhere else other than Toronto, Laine fans' lives would've been so much easier.
It could have been worse, he could have ended up in Ottawa :laugh:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Sorry maybe one timer was a bit too specific, it's more where he is alone after a pass and has time to shoot without being bothered. Of which that's the majority of his goals.

(As far as one timers I counted at least ten before I got to the half way mark of this video.)

Laine is an exemptional shooter. I think he's earned the respect of the league to have the passing lane to him constantly shut down. I think there is a possibility he doesn't find it as easy this year to get that shot off in the amount of time shown in most of these goals.

I could be totally wrong and he instead goes super syian.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

That video is missing one of his goals:

Jokes aside, I just want a Leafs win. Don't care much about Laine vs Matthews.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Laine had pretty good grades in college so he definitely is not stupid. Just saying :wg:

Is high school called college in Finland? Dude left school at 16 to play hockey so not sure what grades you're talking about.

It's not even a big deal, just irritates me these Laine fanboys lurking to defend him at every turn.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I don't think there is a GM in the league, including in Winnipeg if they're being honest, that would even consider trading a Matthews for Laine. I don't get this media fueled rivalry, nor do I care if Jets fans are delusional. Come on.

Sure, so-called generational centres have more premium value than wingers. In the Jets perspective, they already have an elite centre with Schiefele (at a great cap hit too), and they really needed a premium winger on the team. Laine is a perfect fit and very entertaining.

I think both teams did quite well with who they got.

Anyways, looking forward to the game tonight. Both teams are exciting to watch.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
It's actually in there. I thought that was a bit cruel for it to be added to be honest.

Dude made a mistake. It's not the end of the world.

Are you serious, it`s in the compilation video!? That's brutal. I brought it up as a joke, but whoever made that video is harsh.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Sorry maybe one timer was a bit too specific, it's more where he is alone and has time to shoot without being bothered. Of which that's the majority of his goals.

(As far as one timers I counted at least ten before I got to the half way mark of this video.)

Laine is an exemptional shooter. I think he's earned the respect of the league to have the passing lane to him constantly shut down. I think there is a possibility he doesn't find it as easy this year to get that shot off in the amount of time shown in most of these goals.

I could be totally wrong and he instead goes super syian.

Everyone is entitled to have an opinion.

Ovi
How many of them are a) made by Jets fans in a Leafs thread, or b) in response to posts made by Jets fans in a Leaf thread.
None that I can tell

Sorry, last thing I wanted to do was invade the Leafs' game thread, but truth is, Winnipegers are not as consumed by this matchup as Leaf fans think.

Actually, its not even close to what the preception is, and gauging from reading this thread, the reverse could be stated, that this rivarly and the Mathews Laine matchup is more concerning to Leaf fans than Jets fans.

Personally, 2 fun young skilled teams on the rise, with generational talent taken in last year's draft. The true rivarly will happen if and when these two teams meetup in the playoffs, or better known as the Stanely Cup final, then things could get heated.

canadon

Jun 25, 2015
Vaughan, ON
Will the Scores/Leafs scorers prediction (for each Leafs game) contest be open this year, like for the previous several seasons? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad