Post-Game Talk: Leafs vs. Habs Oct 29

Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Without Nylander the Leafs probably don't score ...

:sarcasm:

With Bernier in net the Leafs probably lose by 5.

Habs are a more mature team, and Leafs played them evenly, except for Carrick taking a penalty when he was out of position giving them Weber's goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
Matthews is one of the least of our problems :laugh:

You do realize he's absorbing some of the toughest minutes against the opposing team's top lines, right...?

He'll figure things out.

You can see that he's struggling to adjust to the speed of the game.

GrizzLeaf

Registered Bear
Aug 13, 2010
Quebec
Overall, I like the level of compete the team had.

Leafs played well. Made some mistakes but all teams do. They should have won but Price was solid for them.

Anderson made some key saves to keep the team in it. Neither goal was on him which is encouraging.

Future looks bright when you look at how young this team is and realise there's some development and refinement that is needed.

Fun game to watch. Don't mind seeing the team lose this way. If they continue to play this way they'll start winning more.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It must be really nerve racking knowing without price you aren't a playoff team. Don't get me wrong I'd take him on the leafs, he is good enough he could get a Stanley cup on his own back. One injury of which he has had a few last few years, away from high lottery odds

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Here's my take:

-Carrick was impressive, but whenever he's in his own zone, he gets hemmed in every time and it leads to scrambly/loose pucks.

-Rielly continues to regress... patience. It's not wrong to simply wonder what D we could get in a 1-for-1 swap?

-Andersen was superb.

-Nylander was great.

-the Kadri line is not working. They're not bringing anything. Put Sosh on their line instead of Brown asap.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Not sure how anyone who watched last night's game could possibly deduce that the Habs deserved to win. Even Habs fans for the most part acknowledged that Price won that game for them.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Good luck to anyone beating Price 4 times in a playoff series. I think Montreal is legit this season.

They are legit only if Price stays healthy. No different than the past really. Weber is an upgrade on Subban and Radulov is an upgrade on Semin, but they are still an average team overall with the best goaltender on the planet.

Clark4Ever

Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Without Nylander the Leafs probably don't score ...

:sarcasm:

With Bernier in net the Leafs probably lose by 5.

Habs are a more mature team, and Leafs played them evenly, except for Carrick taking a penalty when he was out of position giving them Weber's goal.

I think the Leafs did more than play them evenly. I was surprised. We took the play to them the whole night and got stonewalled by one Carey Price.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
They are legit only if Price stays healthy. No different than the past really. Weber is an upgrade on Subban and Radulov is an upgrade on Semin, but they are still an average team overall with the best goaltender on the planet.

Did you actually think Weber was an upgrade over Subban after watching yesterdays game?

draeko17

Jul 7, 2007
Particularly in the 2nd and 3rd periods, there were extended periods where the Leafs had the Habs hemmed in their own zone. They looked pretty good for a very young team, many of whom are just learning to play in this league and learning to play together as a team with lots of new faces. Pretty happy with the play of this team, would have been nice for them to be rewarded for their efforts with 2 points. But lots of positives to build on.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
-Rielly continues to regress... patience. It's not wrong to simply wonder what D we could get in a 1-for-1 swap?

Rielly's regressing? How lol. He was never good defensively in the 1st place. He's steadily improving.

Relax people. The only difference between this year and last year with Rielly is that his mistakes have been more noticeable. He's made the same mistakes last year but they didn't lead to goals, so we don't criticize as much. This year, some of his mistakes are leading to goals, so we have ample time criticize (It's also easier to remember a D-men making a mistake leading to goal than not).

As long as we find a D-man that can complement Rielly's offense, we should be fine.

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaistev
Marincin - Carrick

That would be amazinginly balanced.

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
As long as we find a D-man that can complement Rielly's offense, we should be fine.

Rielly - Parayko
Gardiner - Zaistev
Marincin - Carrick

That would be amazinginly balanced.

Parayko, is that all? He's one of the hottest commodities in the league.

Brandon Carlo would have been nice. Went 4 picks after Dermott.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I don't mean to be a downer, because I thought the Leafs had a really strong game.

But....a couple of things that I noticed:

Many posters are saying this, but Connor Brown is doing nothing at the moment. I love his compete, but I'm not convinced he's strong enough to hang in the NHL yet. I'd send him down if things don't turn around soon.

Hyman is awesome, but not on the right line.

Loved Carrick's game, but I'm a little concerned when teams dump and forecheck on him. He's not strong enough to hold them off and it leads to lots of scrambly/loose pucks behind the net. Really liked his game last night, though.

Totally agreed with those points.

Send down Brown and recall Soshnikov.
Switch Hymen onto the 4th line and put up Griffith.

Soshnikov - Matthews - Nylander
JVR - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Bozak - Griffith
Martin - Smith/Holland - Hymen

schenneuf

Jul 4, 2011
Totally agreed with those points.

Send down Brown and recall Soshnikov.
Switch Hymen onto the 4th line and put up Griffith.

JVR - Kadri - Marner
Komarov - Bozak - Griffith
Martin - Smith/Holland - Hymen

I like it, but Smith has been much better than Holland.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Screw Holland and Smith.

JVR - Kadri - Marner
Griffith/Leivo - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Komarov - Hyman

OR

Soshnikov - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Hyman
Komarov - Kadri - Griffith
Martin - Bozak - Brown

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Parayko, is that all? He's one of the hottest commodities in the league.

Brandon Carlo would have been nice. Went 4 picks after Dermott.

I meant that he's the ideal type of D-man we want, not a Fowler, etc.
We should continue drafting for one, but I want us to go after an older player if it's possible.

Even Shatty would be great (since he's an uncoming UFA)

Gardiner - Shattenkirk
Rielly - Zaistev

ColeSuzuki

Oct 8, 2014
Andersen played good but Price is still the gold standard, swap goalies and Leafs win easily.

Regardless though, Montreal is a joke, they think Price/Weber are great, which they are, but they will never win a cup with the rest of their garbage team and before long those two will start to decline and they won't have the high draft picks to replace them. I think it's a good thing, when they are garbage in 5 years I'll show their fans no mercy.

I don't know what happened than at the beginning of the season when Price was out and we were still winning??:P.. Great game by the leafs though you guys are looking a lot better should be a fun season and another good rivalry...

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Screw Holland and Smith.

JVR - Kadri - Marner
Griffith/Leivo - Bozak - Brown
Martin - Komarov - Hyman

Those are the lines I originally wanted because all 4 lines are perfect (4th line is perfect; 2nd line and 1st line are the best combos; 3rd line is a good depth offensive line).

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Sosh has an unreal shot. Can't wait till he's back on the team.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
2 wins, 6 losses.

Only 5 teams out of 30 have less points than the leafs.

Can't wait to see the spin trying to claim we're 'playoff contenders'.

Let's all get on board. Last year of tanking. Embrace the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad