Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Columbus | Mon. March 3rd, 2014 | 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafstilldeath*

CBJ 12-5-1 in their last 18

TOR 11-4-3 in their last 18.

Won't be an easy game. They are a hard working team.

Personally I would go with Reimer for this one - just freshen things up and make sure he gets a game under his belt because you will be using him at least once on that brutal road trip coming up

Leafs are always going to have trouble playing against those teams unless leafs show up to play and hustle as well. 5 on 5 it is very hard to out skill a hard working and grinding team.

leafstilldeath*

Always expect a loss, it's a win-win for you!

My math prof used to say:

H=1/X

H: Happiness
X: Expectations; X cannot equal 1

The higher the expectations the lower the Happiness and vice-versa. With leafs that equation has certainly held true :laugh:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
I would honestly be surprised if Reimer doesn't start tonight but I could see why Carlyle would want to start Bernier instead.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
The CBJ haven't looked sharp since the Olympic break. They came out flat versus NJ and went down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes (or so) of the game. They ended up beating the Panthers Saturday afternoon, but don't let the score fool you, the CBJ had 2 empty netters, 3 PP goals, and 1 SH.

I don't know whether they have put things back together since the break. Gaborik is back, so they've been shuffling the forwards. Tyutin is out, so they've been shuffling the d pairs. Bob seems to be taking his time readjusting to the NHL rink versus the Olympic one.

Hard to tell how tonight's game is going to go.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Cbj is no joke. They are a very deep team with skill through the entire lineup.

Their topend skill is a bit iffy but with gabby and horton back and bob in net, it can show up in any given night.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Cbj is no joke. They are a very deep team with skill through the entire lineup.

Their topend skill is a bit iffy but with gabby and horton back and bob in net, it can show up in any given night.

and Gabby eats Leafs for breakfast.

Punn

Sep 24, 2011
Brampton, ON
I know a lot of people aren't to optimistic about tonights game, but this will MAYBE brighten the mood:

Kevin Gibson ‏@TSNResearch 9m
TOR 7 straight home wins, longest home streak since 9 in a row Mar/Apr 2007

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I know a lot of people aren't to optimistic about tonights game, but this will MAYBE brighten the mood:

Kevin Gibson ‏@TSNResearch 9m
TOR 7 straight home wins, longest home streak since 9 in a row Mar/Apr 2007

This just means we are due for a loss.

:cry:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Whenever Toronto plays Columbus I'm always intrigued to see the head to head comparison play of #2 overall Ryan Murray verses #5 overall Morgan Rielly.

So far Murray and his Columbus teammates have won the battle.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
The CBJ haven't looked sharp since the Olympic break. They came out flat versus NJ and went down 3-0 in the first 10 minutes (or so) of the game. They ended up beating the Panthers Saturday afternoon, but don't let the score fool you, the CBJ had 2 empty netters, 3 PP goals, and 1 SH.

I don't know whether they have put things back together since the break. Gaborik is back, so they've been shuffling the forwards. Tyutin is out, so they've been shuffling the d pairs. Bob seems to be taking his time readjusting to the NHL rink versus the Olympic one.

Hard to tell how tonight's game is going to go.

The Leafs have the most trouble against balls to the wall, hard working teams like the Jackets.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Whenever Toronto plays Columbus I'm always intrigued to see the head to head comparison play of #2 overall Ryan Murray verses #5 overall Morgan Rielly.

So far Murray and his Columbus teammates have won the battle.

They have?

Murray plays a couple more minutes a game on a team out of a playoff spot.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Reimer isn't really part of the team going forward. He's just an insurance policy.

Not talking about Reimer, but the team.

Think it sends a strong message to everyone that the last 2 performances aren't acceptable, by putting Reimer in and trying to go for the shake-up.

It's why I felt Reimer might have started Saturday in MTL.

EDIT - You are also going to need Reimer on the road-trip coming up. No way Bernier plays all 5. Would you rather Reimer have a game under his belt? Or throw him in cold having not played in months?

Cotton

May 13, 2013
After two straight OT losses and the possibility that we'll lose the wildcard spot I imagine we'll come out looking to make a statement. Hopefully Kessel continues to roll and his supporting cast can add some secondary scoring, don't like tight games with Columbus, they grind out wins.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not talking about Reimer, but the team.

Think it sends a strong message to everyone that the last 2 performances aren't acceptable, by putting Reimer in and trying to go for the shake-up.

It's why I felt Reimer might have started Saturday in MTL.

EDIT - You are also going to need Reimer on the road-trip coming up. No way Bernier plays all 5. Would you rather Reimer have a game under his belt? Or throw him in cold having not played in months?

Bernier needs to know the team has confidence in him.

Reimer's few starts will be throwaways.

Who cares about Reimer, it's the starter you have to be concerned about.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
After two straight OT losses and the possibility that we'll lose the wildcard spot I imagine we'll come out looking to make a statement. Hopefully Kessel continues to roll and his supporting cast can add some secondary scoring, don't like tight games with Columbus, they grind out wins.

So many times when you expect the Leafs to come out flying this season, they haven't.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bernier needs to know the team has confidence in him.

Reimer's few starts will be throwaways.

Who cares about Reimer, it's the starter you have to be concerned about.

We can only hope management isn't making that kind of distinction between goalies with identical track records like you are.

Bernier's history tells us that a stretch of poor play would be no surprise, and it'd be a shame if management sacrificed wins due to unjustified labels.

mikebel111*

I think reimer needs a start. 2 sub par outings by bernier.
I give it to reimer today. Than go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad