Pre-Game Talk: Leafs vs Columbus | Mon. March 3rd, 2014 | 7pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They have?

Murray plays a couple more minutes a game on a team out of a playoff spot.

So far this season Columbus has beaten the Leafs 5-2 and 6-0 in their 2 meetings winning by a margin of 11-2.

Ryan Murray was the 2nd Star in the 5-2 win, by scoring his first career NHL goal.

Ryan Murray was the 3rd Star in the 6-0 win, by scoring 1 goal and 1 assist in the game.

So Yes.

Also head to head YTD Ryan Murray 60 games 3-17-20 points +3 verses Morgan Rielly 53 games 2-17-19 points -14.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Bernier needs to know the team has confidence in him.

Reimer's few starts will be throwaways.

Who cares about Reimer, it's the starter you have to be concerned about.

There's 20 games left and the Leafs haven't secured a playoff spot in a tight race, there will be no throwaway games from now to April. And to think that the team just has to rely on Bernier is ludicrous. You need both goalies down the stretch to win you games and theres no way Bernier plays more than 15 games, or less if he still struggles. Unless Nonis gets rid of him on Wednesday, Reimer is still going to be playing some big games for the Leafs.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
We can only hope management isn't making that kind of distinction between goalies with identical track records like you are.

Bernier's history tells us that a stretch of poor play would be no surprise, and it'd be a shame if management sacrificed wins due to unjustified labels.

Team reimer is dead zeke, just embrace your inner desire to cheer for team bernier

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
I hope we don't give away another win to a borderline team, let alone get blown out by the Jackets again.

GO LEAFS GO

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Yes he was, the defense wasn't. Sloppy defense and a sloopy goalie like Reimer might work but i doubt it. Stay with Bernier

I like Bernier as much as the next guy but lets be real. You'd be hard pressed to find many people that think he played elite in the past two games.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
Bernier was elite last 2 games. Wasnt he?
Reimer gets this start unless Randy turns stupid?

No you ride your starter unless he has a huge slump. Even in Bernier off game they still got credited with 2 out of 4 points.

And no Randy is not stupid if he starts Bernier over Reimer.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
We can only hope management isn't making that kind of distinction between goalies with identical track records like you are.

Bernier's history tells us that a stretch of poor play would be no surprise, and it'd be a shame if management sacrificed wins due to unjustified labels.

And what history is that??

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Lol relax with the team reimer team bernier bs. They're both on the same team. You can run with the starter or give reims the start once a while.

The latter is probably better so that reims isn't rusty if he has to go in for bernier if there is an injury. You want both your goalies to be at their best and that means not giving bernier the start all the time. Although today it makes sense to give bernier a couple of starts to get into his groove since the break and give reims a start when there is a back to back scenario.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I want Bernier in net for every one of the 20 games remaining, he is our best chance to win on a nightly basis.

Reimer's .911 and 3.25 GAA doesn't really give me much confidence and his play in net leaves me petrified.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And what history is that??

History shows us that Carlyle is a stickler for details and a look at the goalie stats shows Reimer with 3.25 goals against average which places him 43 of 45 NHL goalies.

Only Kevin Poulin (NYI) and Dubynk (EDM/Nash) on waivers today are below Reimer (min 27 games played)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/avgGoalsAgainst/count/41

Not exactly numbers that a team with playoff aspirations would turn to, so Carlyle needs to stick with Bernier and see how far he can take the Leafs.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
History shows us that Carlyle is a stickler for details and a look at the goalie stats shows Reimer with 3.25 goals against average which places him 43 of 45 NHL goalies.

Only Kevin Poulin (NYI) and Dubynk (EDM/Nash) on waivers today are below Reimer (min 27 games played)

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics/player/_/stat/goaltending/sort/avgGoalsAgainst/count/41

Not exactly numbers that a team with playoff aspirations would turn to, so Carlyle needs to stick with Bernier and see how far he can take the Leafs.

Bernier must be better than Reimer's 2012-2013 stats to justify the trade.

Play him until the team is eliminated.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto

Yeah I totally agree with you. I was just asking him where he came up with the idea that Bernier has a bad history.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
This team of losers will do what they do best: lose. Monday's game will include lots of what the Leafs do best:

- Losing face-offs
- Missing the net
- Making average goalies look like late 90s Dominik Hasek
- Horrific PKing
- Edmonton Oilers level defending
- Soft goals on Bernier
- Blowing a lead/leads in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd

All of this will culminate in a regulation loss. 5-1 CBJ.

So you're calling for a 5 goal outburst by Columbus in the last 10 minutes? You deserve major props if you're prediction holds.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah I totally agree with you. I was just asking him where he came up with the idea that Bernier has a bad history.

Reimer might be my favourite Leaf but I can certainly see why Carlyle would continue to ride Bernier. But Reimer when given a chance didn't capitalize on it and now as one can see a 3.25 GAA is not going to get him many more opportunities to prove otherwise.. Also I don't blame either goalie as they face the most shots against then everyone else. We all know our Leafs are a disaster defensively.

I'm not aware of any of this so call bad history either. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad