Series Talk: Leafs vs. Bruins Round 1 PGDT Part 3 (No Outside Series Talk Here)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A win tomorrow is so important, we did win game 1 in Boston but it's going to be awfully tough (not impossible) to win again in Boston, when you are up 3 - 1 it's a confidence builder and you get 3 chances to finish it off

The key is to stay out of penalty box and resist the storm as they are going to come hard on us, as soon as the puck is dropped

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm so ****ing amped for this game tomorrow - Gonna destroy my voice cheering, the folks around me better get on board or bring earplugs.
You won't be alone.
Where are you sitting?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The key is to stay out of penalty box and resist the storm as they are going to come hard on us, as soon as the puck is dropped
I know the Bruins came out with the physical play right away in Game 2, however with the game being in Toronto tomorrow night I still wonder if they can do that again? I said it before and I will say it again, they seem to play more physical in Boston and they try to intimidate their opponents with their rough play. However I think they can not do that on the road.

Last edited:
Reactions: zaqq

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think the Leafs looked this good against Boston last year, the games they won were wholesale robberies by Freddy. I favour the Leafs to win this series now, but it might still go 7. Will be interesting to see what Cassidy does with his lineup, his 3rd and 2nd line have really carried the play, the opposite I think than what we all expected. Could see him moving Pastrnak to Krejci's wing to better to better take advantage of the Matthews line's woes. I have so much confidence in Mitch and JT though, as long as they keep winning against Bergeron the Leafs have a distinct advantage in every game.

Reactions: zaqq

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Maybe I'm misremembering, but I don't think the Leafs looked this good against Boston last year, the games they won were wholesale robberies by Freddy. I favour the Leafs to win this series now, but it might still go 7. Will be interesting to see what Cassidy does with his lineup, his 3rd and 2nd line have really carried the play, the opposite I think than what we all expected. Could see him moving Pastrnak to Krejci's wing to better to better take advantage of the Matthews line's woes. I have so much confidence in Mitch and JT though, as long as they keep winning against Bergeron the Leafs have a distinct advantage in every game.

I think Chara is the problem. Leafs are exploiting his lack of speed. Bergeron has to spend all his energy playing defence. When Boston transitions, their big line already wasted the majority of their energy.

You saw this in Matthews as well when their line got hemmed a lot in the regular season. When it's time to transition he barely has any energy left to get his signature snipe off.

Boston's D is replicating our issues when we had Marincin Holl and Oz in the lineup. Forwards end up wasting all their energy running around because the D can't do anything. End up with very ugly and unstructured hockey.

There is no hope for Boston until their D can string together a good game. That's not looking likely at this point.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Im more concerned about the D pairs. They are the ones actually doing the defending. As long as muzzin and zaitsev keep shutting down bergerons line then we are set up nicely. Everyone is singing the Marner and JT line praise but its the D pair that is actually doing the work here. They are the ones stopping the rush and breaking the cycle, and moving the puck up and out quickly. JT is third most important as he helps down below the dots as well.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Im more concerned about the D pairs. They are the ones actually doing the defending. As long as muzzin and zaitsev keep shutting down bergerons line then we are set up nicely. Everyone is singing the Marner and JT line praise but its the D pair that is actually doing the work here. They are the ones stopping the rush and breaking the cycle, and moving the puck up and out quickly. JT is third most important as he helps down below the dots as well.

Bergeron drives their top line. JT is shutting him down. Without JT, that line shredded our D last year.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Bergeron drives their top line. JT is shutting him down. Without JT, that line shredded our D last year.
That line was not facing muzzin and zaitsev. They were facing hainsey and rielly. Muzzin has been a beast. Zaitsev has looked wayyyyyy better with muzzin. They are being physical on them which is huge. I never saw pastrnak get destroyed like this last year

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
That line was not facing muzzin and zaitsev. They were facing hainsey and rielly. Muzzin has been a beast. Zaitsev has looked wayyyyyy better with muzzin. They are being physical on them which is huge. I never saw pastrnak get destroyed like this last year

Cannot disagree with that. That D pair has been good. Z however continues to turn the puck over.

Reactions: Uncle

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Is it possible that Boston is going to break up the big line?

It happened in the regular season, but Cassidy's comments seem to indicate that he won't, at least for next game. He was apparently happy with his top line's performance in game 3 :huh:.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I would swap Zaitsev and Tavares. JT has been really good at winning key draws, and has been a force in all 3 zones. Muzzin is a monster out there
At least with the Muzzin trade it showed that Kyle Dubas was not afraid to trade a 1st round pick, since that's a type of deal Lou Lamoriello did not want to make 1 year ago prior to the trade deadline.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Marleau has 1 shot at 5v5 through the first 3 games this series. But it’s okay, I’m sure he’s just saving himself for the second round.

Reactions: TheKule

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner with the line of the series, "that's what dentists are for" when asked about taking one in the face.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad