Series Talk: Leafs vs Bruins - 'ah shit here we go again' edition -- Full schedule post #933

OddyOh

Really, Healy?
Aug 18, 2010
Regina, SK
The shameful part is how Keefe played woll upon returning. The kid was elite. Missed 3 months and upon returning Keefe throws him to wolves to protect samsonov from all the harder games / teams. Woll was throw right in to protect samsonov from playing the harder games. Again Keefe ruined woll upon returning.
I thought they'd give Woll a lot more starts in the AHL first (I don't know what the rules are), but yes, throwing him against the hardest teams was shameful. Mismanagement for sure.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The shameful part is how Keefe played woll upon returning. The kid was elite. Missed 3 months and upon returning Keefe throws him to wolves to protect samsonov from all the harder games / teams. Woll was throw right in to protect samsonov from playing the harder games. Again Keefe ruined woll upon returning.
Keefe knows its his last season and based on experience Sammy is their best bet (unfortunately).

Reactions: OddyOh

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If Jarnkrok is healthy. And to appease Styles just a little, I'd make an all Swede third line. Jarnkrok-Holmberg-Styles. I still like the idea of " hiding " Robertson on the top line with Matthews, making our line up even deeper. Now, if we just had a goalie.

Wouldn’t be a bad idea but I don’t think Nylander needs appeasing, at this rate he just better morph into playing for a contract Nylander regardless of who he plays with

Reactions: arso40

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I probably go with this game 1

Bert-AM-Domi
McMann-JT-Nylander
Knies-Holmberg-Marner
Reaves-Kampf-Dewar/Jarnkrok

McMann has done well with Nylander and JT

Marner can play down in the line up to generate offense and be a stabilizing defensive player for two youngsters
Swap Nylander with Marner and Knies with Jarnkrok and that's a solid forward group.

Leaf4Life79

Jun 30, 2018
St. Thomas, ON
Out in the first round......but the potential good news is Shanahan and Keefe are gone, then marner traded....fml

Out in the first round......but the potential good news is Shanahan and Keefe are gone, then marner traded....fml
But it's.funny though, they will probably beat Boston because I said they wouldn't, just my luck, let's fukking go, clobber that little rat first game and take him out, dig your fukking heels in boys, show us some pucking ❤️

Reactions: HolyCrap

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Confidence at an all time low and fully expect a 5-6 game and out. Goaltending has dropped back down to earth, a lot of the good depth are banged up, defensively we look terrible. Just a bad way to finish the regular season giving up 4+ goals last week or 2. We'll see I guess.

Last edited:

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Really hoping that whatever is keeping Domi out to end the season is truly minor and will be of no impact to him come Game 1. I'm less optimistic about McMann since he wasn't even skating. Jarnkrok probably not back for Game 1 but potentially later in the series.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If the Leafs' high AAV players cannot outscore this then I don't know where to even begin.....

GLVfMBKWcAARw-D

Maxmann

Apr 16, 2024
The simplest term taught
I don’t think the bruins are as convincing as in years past.

But our goalies suck.

Meh. It’s a 50/50 series.
I recall many leaf fans feeling the same against Florida last year. Looking at leafs for last 7 years of playoffs and the countless melt downs over past several seasons to the fashion we lost to low end teams and blown tons of leafs. I’m shocked leaf fans still to this day think any series is easy or favorable. The truth is we are screwed regardless who we play. Remember Montreal ? Never should have been in playoffs with their record. Oh Columbus ? Don’t fool yourself Boston is elite team regardless of what people consider talent their players give it hard every shift and don’t play embarrassing hockey ever and they have elite goaltending. Unless Lady Luck strikes leafs hard and some players step up. We stand no chance

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Boston plays a lot of afternoon games.
Wouldn’t surprise me if they start Saturday afternoon.

Have they said when they will announce the schedule?
Sun afternoon would setup Game 4 on Sat night in Toronto. That wouldn't shock me

Confidence at an all time low and fully expect a 5-6 game and out. Goaltending has dropped back down to earth, a lot of the good depth are banged up, defensively we look terrible. Just a bad way to finish the regular season giving up 4+ goals last week or 2. We'll see I guess.
It's a fresh start, but a lot of questions and concerns going into playoffs after a really strong stretch in March

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If the Leafs' high AAV players cannot outscore this then I don't know where to even begin.....

GLVfMBKWcAARw-D
We’ve got a big edge at forward, but they’ve got a massive edge in goal and a slight edge on D:

Defence probably looks something like this:

Grzelcyk - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Wotherspoon - Peeke

vs

Rielly - Boosh
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Lily

Bruins with the edge overall - I think they’ve got better 1st and 2nd pairings while we’ve got the better 3rd pairing (assuming Keefe doesn’t try to force Brodie or Gio in there!).

Then in goal:

Swayman
Ullmark

vs

Sammy
Woll

Obviously they have an absolutely massive edge here, Swayman and Ullmark are both miles ahead of Sammy or Woll.

I do think we’ve got a legit chance to win this series, despite how poorly we did against the Bruins in the regular season. But let’s not act like we’re favourites, we’re definitely the underdogs IMO. We have better forward talent, but the Bruins have a more well rounded team, looking at forwards, D and goaltending combined.

Last edited:

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I think so too but I’m a little concerned that will backfire really quickly.
I’ll say this: Reavo has kept his strong physical presence without going over the line for quite some time. The change in his game has been really great. He’s doing what he needs to do to remain in the lineup. He crushes people, and he’s been really effective on the forecheck.

MacAvoy is Charmin soft back there, as is most of their defense. The key to beating Boston is tenderizing their D-core of the forecheck and creating opportunities.

Reactions: bax

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I don’t think the bruins are as convincing as in years past.

But our goalies suck.

Meh. It’s a 50/50 series.

They swept the series this season 4-0. They had a 30% PP, 14 goals and .949 save percentage. Leafs had a 9% pp, 7 goals and .891% save percentage.

Yeah... 50/50... Real close...

Reactions: HolyCrap

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I thought they'd give Woll a lot more starts in the AHL first (I don't know what the rules are), but yes, throwing him against the hardest teams was shameful. Mismanagement for sure.

Keefe has been very guilty of throwing unprepared people into big roles, like 19 year old Robertson into an elimination game on a top 6 role, Sandin on PP one cold, and this Woll trial by fire. Then he curbs them when they don't flourish.

That said, if Woll was actually capable of meeting the challenge of being a quality playoff starter he would have shown us more positive signs since those Boston games. As the body of work gets bigger we are getting more of a sense of his capabilities, good and not so good. He's not a number one at this stage of his development and I don't know what his upside is.

Reactions: OddyOh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad