Sportsnet: Leafs underwhelm on free-agency opener

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Here I was thinking that the Leafs have actually done pretty well in the off season. Sure they did not sign any "stars" but neither did they sign any crazy contracts. They players that they did bring in are known for high compete levels something that, in my opinion killed the team more than any lack of talent last season. When the team won it was due to goaltending or a seeming ability to score at will for a period of hockey after coasting most of the game. Robidas and Polak make our blue line tougher and should help cover/teach guys like Gardiner and Reilly. Santa looks like he could be replace a lot of the offense lost with Raymond and it is great to see our pest Komerov return.

Honestly the only things I still hope the Leafs can address this off season is finding some way to dump Franson and maybe find a partner for Phaneuf. I am happy with Reimer as back up until we can find a good place to trade him...have a feeling we would do best waiting for the season to move him if we want good value.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I really like our acquisitions. Last season, we acquired Clarkson which a very large proportion of the users here supported and that didn't look to well. This season we're taking a more conservative approach and I like it.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
Here I was thinking that the Leafs have actually done pretty well in the off season. Sure they did not sign any "stars" but neither did they sign any crazy contracts. They players that they did bring in are known for high compete levels something that, in my opinion killed the team more than any lack of talent last season. When the team won it was due to goaltending or a seeming ability to score at will for a period of hockey after coasting most of the game. Robidas and Polak make our blue line tougher and should help cover/teach guys like Gardiner and Reilly. Santa looks like he could be replace a lot of the offense lost with Raymond and it is great to see our pest Komerov return.

Honestly the only things I still hope the Leafs can address this off season is finding some way to dump Franson and maybe find a partner for Phaneuf. I am happy with Reimer as back up until we can find a good place to trade him...have a feeling we would do best waiting for the season to move him if we want good value.

Jesus.. if you're a Leafs fan then why must we always suck? :laugh:

Tyler Biggs*

Everyone is dazzled that there was no $7M player signed this offseason. The Leafs' problem is not scoring..last year it was 2-way play, grit, character, and compete level (on some nights) which ultimately lead to their demise. The fact that they stood atop the Eastern conference for most of last season while getting heavily outshot goes to show they have the scorers they need and quality goaltending to get the job done. Now, tweak the defense, add some depth players to the bottom 6, and increase grit, compete, and 2-way play, and this roster is starting to look a lot more of a TEAM than individual performances. It will take the off season next year to maybe add some strong top 6 centre depth, but until then, I like the additions here. Shanny had a hand in this, he knows how to win.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Remember how many stories the media did on good old Canadian boy Clarkson coming home to play for his boyhood team, the Leafs.

Of course they are hating this. No stories, so they are making **** up.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
People are assuming the Leafs are done with their moves, and are pencilling the new acquisitions in certain fixed roles for next season. The players they might have traded, might still be gone yet. Plus there are still a few FAs out there. I can see a couple of trades to come, and not necessarily Franson or Reimer. End of July is really the end of activity, after arbitrations are done and some clubs know better what their cap situations are for next season. They could still underwhelm us, but it might be a couple more weeks before we know for sure.

I don't know if the deals they made so far are a huge improvement to the lineup but I absolutely expect Bolland's replacement will be a lot better at faceoffs and that McClement's replacement will score more than 4 goals. And does anybody not think Robidas will be better this year than Gleason was last year? Its a start.

Number13

May 21, 2007
The article could easily be about how Leaf fans are happy we are going with our young guys and providing them with some solid, hard working, vet support. The thing is a negative article generates more reads.

I just feel bad for the feeble ones that get so wrapped up in them that they start to sound like them. How is it even enjoyable to be a fan at that point?

LaCarriere

Worked for Colorado, they went last to a 112 pt season last year, they laughed all the way to Mackinnon and the playoffs in under 12 months.

MacKinnons 24g/39a season wasn't the only reason Colorado went from 2nd last to 3rd best in points.

Varlamov being the runner up to the Vezina, as well as Patrick Roy had a lot to do with it. I can't say enough about how bad the team was with Joe Sacco as coach.

Disgruntled Observer*

I just feel bad for the feeble ones that get so wrapped up in them that they start to sound like them. How is it even enjoyable to be a fan at that point?

It's the leafs PERFORMANCE over the past 10 years that make it hard to enjoy being a leaf fan.
Not "negative news articles".

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Stephane Robidas is a solid veteran. Great acquisition. You could play him with Dion Phaneuf on the first line. The only bad thing about the Robidas deal is that it's for 3 years and he's 37 years old... He's also injury prone. Was out for more than half of last season.

Roman Polak for Carl Gunnarsson + 94th pick is a *** joke. Polak is a good guy but come on. Carl Gunnarsson was played on the first pair with Dion Phaneuf. While Roman Polak was on St. Louis' third pair.

Leo Komarov is quite pricey (2.95m) for a guy who hasn't proven himself offensively yet in the NHL. Only in the KHL.

So yeah I'd say that there were a couple problems with our summer activity. We gave up too much to get Roman Polak. Gave Leo Komarov a rich deal. And Stephane Robidas's deal is too long and injuries are taking his toll on him.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Stephane Robidas is a solid veteran. Great acquisition. You could play him with Dion Phaneuf on the first line. The only bad thing about the Robidas deal is that it's for 3 years and he's 37 years old... He's also injury prone. Was out for more than half of last season.

Roman Polak for Carl Gunnarsson + 94th pick is a *** joke. Polak is a good guy but come on. Carl Gunnarsson was played on the first pair with Dion Phaneuf. While Roman Polak was on St. Louis' third pair.

Leo Komarov is quite pricey (2.95m) for a guy who hasn't proven himself offensively yet in the NHL. Only in the KHL.

So yeah I'd say that there were a couple problems with our summer activity. We gave up too much to get Roman Polak. Gave Leo Komarov a rich deal. And Stephane Robidas's deal is too long and injuries are taking his toll on him.

Your comment is like us trading Bozak for Malkin, and you saying, come on... Bozak was on our #1 Center, with Kessel and this Malkin guy was the 2nd line Center on pittsburgh with Stempniak.

Blues fans said, depth put Polak where he was in the lineup, not his skill set.

likeabosski

Jul 31, 2013
Your comment is like us trading Bozak for Malkin, and you saying, come on... Bozak was on our #1 Center, with Kessel and this Malkin guy was the 2nd line Center on pittsburgh with Stempniak.

Blues fans said, depth put Polak where he was in the lineup, not his skill set.
There is a big difference between a 1st pairing and a 3rd pairing role though. Not as much difference between a 1st and 2nd forward line. Once Cody Franson got promoted to the 2nd unit, his slow skating and poor defensive IQ and decision making got exposed really badly. Carl Gunnarsson faced considerably tougher competition than Roman Polak did.

TheThrill81*

Where exactly do you think Gunnarsson is going to play on a defence that has Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester, and Shattenkirk?

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Being a mediocre team in a draft year when Mcdavid or Eichel are draft eligible is bad management IMO.

If one thought trading up to get Ekblad was hard, and apparently we tried. It is impossible if it is the former 2 guys I mentioned.

This team looks pretty bad on paper, I wouldn't be too disappointed if we are out of the playoffs by December, if Nonis is a smart man, to let this team free fall like Colorado did for Mackinnon.

LOL! Boy how quickly do you change your tune. It stings that both Kadri & Gardiner aren't going anywhere does it ;)

Sorry to bust your bubble but the turnaround in Colorado wasn't in due of young Mackinnon. For somebody who's been very vocal about 2 way play Mackinnon wasn't somebody who thrived in that regard. In fact the whole Colorado team didn't exactly thrive playing defense. They were an explosive offensive team that came at you with speed that was awful similar to what gets viewed around here as run & gun... but I guess that standard holds only for Kadri, Gardiner right? The turnaround is in due part of the firing of Joe Sacco who coached a similar game to Carlyle that had a huge impact in the return of form from a lot of Colorado skilled players that were being micromanaged to death in the name of defense. None more than Duchene... Varlamov was the team MVP as is the case with every team that has success it receives great goaltending had the most impact of all for the turnaround so if your suggesting the Leafs do the tank it starts by trading Bernier that even you wont do.

It's bad asset management over these past 5 years to have a roster of Kessel, Phanuef, Lupul, JVR, Kadri, Rielly, Gardiner and Bernier especially from what was here before this group was put together only if your somebody who has no clue or is flat out a hater. I guess adding the super talented with this years 1st Nylander is bad asset management as well right?

It was better when you were a Kadri & Gardiner hater cause now you've crossed over to silly talk even for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad