Sportsnet: Leafs underwhelm on free-agency opener

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Nothing really says how stupid this guy is than his generalization of last year's reactions. There were a ton of people upset with the Clarkson move at the start and plenty saying that we didn't need to trade for a goalie with Reimer there. People hardly thought all our problems were fixed and were asking about the defense.

Honestly these guys can write whatever comes into their heads and claim it to be fact.

driver3000

Dec 17, 2011
Niagara
Not surprised. Leafs actually do the *right* thing this year and not blow their brains out on FAs and they're still getting buried for it. Anything for page clicks. If they would have went out and signed whatever big names were out there for 5-6 year deals at big dollars they would just be ripping them for that.

Brew

The top of HF’s most disliked
Sep 22, 2007
Again Leafs fans always on the defensive when a media member tells truths.

I look at it as Leafs taking a step back, and this is not a bad thing. Too much spending by Nonis of late has tied our hands.

Again this team barring a miracle year from Bernier will be life and death making the playoffs. It's not great, it's not bad, it's mediocre. Which is where a bubble team belongs.

So you agree that we didn't do a good enough job at signing top FAs when in truth, it's what has continually bit us in the ass?

Thank God we didn't spend that kind of stupid money again that we spent on Clarkson. Which contract do you prefer to have? Bolland at 5x5.25, Orpik, or Niskanen? We werent getting Stastny....

Tyler Biggs*

Frattin played well for the Leafs two years ago ... Komarov as well ... Leafs made the playoffs and took the Bruins to Game 7 ... yes there was a melt down ... for a variety of reasons ... I like these moves ... cup? Playoffs? Who knows? But they can't win the cup unless they get there ... and these two moves, signing Robidas and getting Roman from St Lou are a good start ... this is not a bad team ... just needs tinkering ... and that has begun ... with the young guys coming along, I like it ...

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Yeah this is extremely dumb by Stellick. I'm so glad the leafs plan A didn't work out. Even if we are average or even bad next year that just means Carlyle gets canned big time and maybe even Nonis. What Nonis did last offseason was awful. Drafting and free agency were really bad. This year, despite their best efforts, they are having quite a good offseason IMO. If they can lock up Gardiner to a five year deal worth decent money, get some value for Reims/Franson I'll be thrilled. After that all I can hope is they crap themselves to start the season and Randy is out the door.

hockeyfanz*

Interesting considering the majority of us are content with what transpired the last few days.

Content? Why? What did this crappy management team do exactly? Did they rip it down..NO..just replaced a bunch of supporting cast as if the 4th line and 6th defenseman were the real issues. What direction are they taking here? No idea. Hopefully somebody knows what they are doing and all these little nobody signings and acquisitions are part of a bigger plan. And I hope the bigger plan is to not sneak into the 8th seed to get a couple of playoff gates.

Thats generally what the goal of this franchise is. I need to see a blockbuster deal involving real names before I get excited about Matt Frattin or Leo effin Komorov.

They just let go of a bunch of nobodies and replaced them with a bunch of nobodies. I don't see any reason to expect different results.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Interesting considering the majority of us are content with what transpired the last few days.

How could you not be? The bottom half of the lineup was terrible last year, they've made that significantly better.

I think we'll see far more effort, far more often instead of going through the motions that many of them did far to often last season.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
The article could easily be about how Leaf fans are happy we are going with our young guys and providing them with some solid, hard working, vet support. The thing is a negative article generates more reads.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I like all the moves this year. Not the right time to go out and blow a ton of money on UFA's and not the right time to trade a bunch of youngsters for a veteran forward (Spezza, Kesler etc).

We have upgraded on the blueline, which we desperately needed and added more leadership. By adding players like Robidas, Polak, Komarov, Frattin, we have also made the team tougher to play against.

Still expecting a couple of trades to go down before camp.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Being a mediocre team in a draft year when Mcdavid or Eichel are draft eligible is bad management IMO.

If one thought trading up to get Ekblad was hard, and apparently we tried. It is impossible if it is the former 2 guys I mentioned.

This team looks pretty bad on paper, I wouldn't be too disappointed if we are out of the playoffs by December, if Nonis is a smart man, to let this team free fall like Colorado did for Mackinnon.

I think the offseason was underwhelming for you in the opposite way it was underwhelming for the writer of the article. :laugh:

The problem with the current Leafs team is that it's really hard to predict where they will end up. A team that went from 2nd in it's division to an 8th overall pick is the pinnacle of unpredictability.

However, in my opinion the Leafs didn't really improve much, if at all. Most of their moves were replacements that hopefully will help instill the better culture that Leiweke and Shanahan are looking for.

Meanwhile, a few teams below the Leafs in the standings this past season are getting better. The Islanders having a decent goalie tandem is huge for them. Vancouver is, like us, pretty unpredictable, but I have the sneaking suspicion they will not be as bad as was advertised this year. Edmonton was a big player in free agency, so there is a possibility of them taking a step forward.

I see a good chance of us being in the Top 5-7 in terms of picks this year, unless we make some big strides in terms of young players developing and coaching adjustments, particularly on the penalty kill. It could happen, so it's tough to say where they end up - anywhere from bottom 5 in the league to mediocre bubble team to lower seed playoff team is well within the realm of possibility.

I believe the offseason was a success. We may have underwhelmed in the eyes of some by not landing a big fish in free agency, but this year I see that as a positive. The Leafs have some philosophical and existential questions to answer before they start thinking about adding more high priced free agents.

calcal798

Jun 2, 2010
London
In: Polak, Robidas (@ 3 M$), Komarov (@ 2.95 M$), Kontiola (@ 1.1 M$), Santorelli (@ 1.5 M$)

Out: Kuli (@ 4.19 M$), Bolland (@ 5.5 M$), McClement, Gunnarson, Gleason

I'd rather underwhelm and make smart moves then overpay and sign another Clarkson like contract.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Being a mediocre team in a draft year when Mcdavid or Eichel are draft eligible is bad management IMO.

If one thought trading up to get Ekblad was hard, and apparently we tried. It is impossible if it is the former 2 guys I mentioned.

This team looks pretty bad on paper, I wouldn't be too disappointed if we are out of the playoffs by December, if Nonis is a smart man, to let this team free fall like Colorado did for Mackinnon.

One other thing I wanted to add - the nice thing about the signings Nonis has done is that, if we are out of it at the deadline (which is a definite possibility), we can likely move some of those vets for picks.

It gives us some nice versatility depending on how the season goes.

Number13

May 21, 2007
I hate the media, so bi polar.

The Leafs spend money to make a splash in free agency, and they're ridiculed. The Leafs spend low money on short term deals, and they're "underwhelming".

So dumb.

Ace88*

Sports journalism at its worst. Other cities have good sports writers, why the **** can't we? This garbage is just total bush league, Toronto really deserves better than this. As if Leaf fans were rejoicing last free agency. As if the Leafs "underwhelmed" like not handing out awful contracts this year is a bad thing.

Ugh. Im just so disgusted with this amateur garbage.

CalgaryLeaf*

Unfortunately most of the big free agents want to go to a team that will be in contention for a Cup...The signing of Clarkson to that stupid contract last year will have ramifications for several years going forward...You can't sign high priced free agents every year.

I think they did pretty well upgrading the defense and they added some thump with Komarov...Not huge moves but definitely a step forward.

Signing the fragile Bolland to a plus 5M contract would have been a step back IMO.

This team will improve only if Rielly,Gardner,Kadri,Granberg,Frattin & Holland take their games to another level.

Beleafer4

Apr 4, 2010
Komarov imo is an awful contract. 3M x 4 years? That's more than Gunarsson!

Speaking of which, had we not made that gunarsson trade, I would have been a lot happier with this summer. Because now, ironically, the team is looking for a partner for phaneuf. We also overpaid for frattin (who is a good target, but we could have definitely got him for cheaper).

Im not going to lie and say it didn't have good spots (Santorelli, Nylander, Robidas, maybe Kontiola) but overall I would say it was average. Or just a bit above.

Whether this team sinks or swims will really depend on the internal development of the youngsters.

I would like to tank one more year though. One last one, to set up the core. Maybe trade Phaneuf for Petry + Nurse.

Then with Kessel, top 5 pick, Nylander, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Gardiner, Nurse, Bernier we might have the beginning of a team that can actually get somewhere. It would still be on a bit of the small side so some moves would have to be made, but it would finally be enough to build off of.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Who listens to Gord Stellick?

One of our biggest flaws was a poor bottom six that was not used enough or effectively, which we have fully retooled.

I fully believe we are a much better and balanced team this year than last, though we still aren't any kind of Cup contender.

Mar 12, 2009
Again Leafs fans always on the defensive when a media member tells truths.

I look at it as Leafs taking a step back, and this is not a bad thing. Too much spending by Nonis of late has tied our hands.

Again this team barring a miracle year from Bernier will be life and death making the playoffs. It's not great, it's not bad, it's mediocre. Which is where a bubble team belongs.

Not saying there is no truth to it, but regardless of what the Leafs do, certain members of the media are always going to have a negative spin on it. Last year we over spent on Clarkson (now it's being looked back as a good signing by Stelleck?), this year we didn't land anyone big but signed solid contracts, but that's bad too. Negative articles are fine when there is at least some balance, many articles published by the toronto media lack that. If we'd gone pick and re-signed Bolland or got Boyle at 5.5 or something (he apparently took significantly less to go to NYR), I can guarentee there would be articles trashing that as well.

I don't mind the media criticizing the Leafs as there are many legitimate criticisms, it is a problem when they complain just to complain and offer up no alternative solutions that would have been satisfactory to the writer. It's just "these moves suck" when a worthwhile article would be "these moves suck, why didn't they go after...?".

Anyone with a good high school english education could write half of the articles I come accross, yet these guys are getting paid a very quality salary to create poor journalism about sports (which is one of the easiest fields for journalism, comparatively).

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Islanders paid 40+mil on 2 ex-Leafs for 5 yrs

But you forgot how much their value increased because they don't wear Leaf jerseys anymore.

Graboski had a 5x5.25M and was apparently utterly worthless.

Two years later he signs a deal for 4x5M and it is the steal of the century.

HFBoards logic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad