Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade F Sam Lafferty to Vancouver for a 2024 5th

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You deal with that when Timmins is due to return.

So we dropped a player for 2 weeks of cap... or the much more likely reason is they didn't see a spot for Lafferty and this has 0 to do with cap and people are making that part up.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I'm fine with Holmberg playing too... I think he is super underrated.

I also think Lafferty had a lot more to show us... he is a good player.

Reaves sucks.
If Lafferty is a good player, then why was the trade return so low? A 5th rounder is pure garbage unless you get extremely lucky at the draft.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
If Lafferty is a good player, then why was the trade return so low? A 5th rounder is pure garbage unless you get extremely lucky at the draft.
A 5th for a fourth liner at the cap hit is pretty good, especially when a bunch of serviceable and cheaper fourth line guys have all been waived recently. He had legitimate demand during a time when okay guys are going for free. ZAR just signed for 775k as a free pickup.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Because it is the start of the year and most people have their roster filled out... he wasn't great here, but was good in Chicago.

Last year when we traded for him, he was not just a throw in player, he was thought of as having some value and there was talk that multiple teams wanted him.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
So let me get this right. The team scored 2 goals or less in 7 straight playoff games and your solution to that is to take 20 goals out of the lineup.

That is a very poor idea.
Playoffs!!! Look at Jarnkrok's CAREER playoff stats. He's a complete no-show. He didn't hit, he didn't score, he didn't do anything, he's not a guy that can up his game when we need it.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Would have been nice to see how Lafferty would have done after an off-season and training camp with the Leafs. I mean if he lost a spot due to a bad camp, ok. Still, feels like some depth lost.

I don't know, he seems pretty useless to me other than in a straight line. We have numerous players who are capable of everything he is and more.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Is it really outlandish that some Leafs' fans liked Lafferty's contributions?
Is it necessary to slag every single player every single time as soon as he's gone?
Is it not possible to have a civil back and forth discussing whether or not the Leafs will miss the contributions of this player without resorting to rhetorical tricks to shut down the opposing view?
No.
Bound to happen due to the size of our fan base. Even our current players get slagged.
Sometimes.
I have noticed a serious change as well. From Politics to Covid to Science.......there is only one point of view allowed now because the MSM and social media has normalized rhetorical tricks to shut down civil debate. It has permeated society as a whole.
It depends. If I'm on another site and someone goes full Trump or says Stalin was a nice guy, I don't hold back.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I honestly miss when you used to communicate a thought without using sarcasm or mockery. I apologize for any contribution I did to bring this out.
Is it really outlandish that some Leafs' fans liked Lafferty's contributions?
Is it necessary to slag every single player every single time as soon as he's gone?
Is it not possible to have a civil back and forth discussing whether or not the Leafs will miss the contributions of this player without resorting to rhetorical tricks to shut down the opposing view?

lmao... .... slags poster; very next post, questions people slagging posters.

this is an online forum, sir. you have the ability to scroll on, block, or simply filter out the nonsense you don't like!

when i see division like this on whether a move was good or not, usually speaks to it being fair. good deal all around.

Reactions: Jacquestrapless

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I have noticed a serious change as well. From Politics to Covid to Science.......there is only one point of view allowed now because the MSM and social media has normalized rhetorical tricks to shut down civil debate. It has permeated society as a whole.
Yup
My experience is social media has been anything but social.

Too many keyboard warriors who don’t have the knowledge or personal confidence to be able to accept that opposing views don’t necessarily mean that either view is wrong.

Inability to see value in a differing view is a sign of incredible weakness and the where ignorance grows.

All this access to information and people search out only what reinforces what they think. Anything contradictory is dismissed. It’s lead to a very dangerous and narrow view of everything.

Add to it the serious dumbing down of society and the rise of intolerance being acceptable, and it’s a very unsettling road we are on.

There used to be dialogue and discussion. Now there is just disdain and disgust.

…… and I liked Lafferty. Wish we could have kept him. My first preference would have been to keep Acciari. I’ve wanted him for years.
Yup

Scary how people think they have to be one way or another.

You don't have to agree on everything and it's okay to have differing views or opinions.

People need to come back to the middle more and find some common ground.

It's too bad how many people aren't even willing to listen anymore to different views. I don't always agree with people but I'm willing to listen and try to learn.
Yup. The idea of entertaining another person's opinion seems to be a thing of the past. It's a slippery slope.
Hopefully it isn't a thing of the past. I think the pandemic really threw a wrench at many people. The isolation was really tough for some.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafSteel and kb

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
I mean you just gotta Laff right?

Such a bad joke that may have been done 5 times already.

Especially when we're apparently the "Laffs"

This is a good "cap shedding" deal no? And yeah we get a 5th round pick which will most likely not even matter.

Don't mind it at all.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I like your posts on hockey and I loved your posts on Covid (you have my respect for life) Right after your post I’m quoting though you called somebody insane and rambling. That is sort of shutting down debate is it not?

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I like your posts on hockey and I loved your posts on Covid (you have my respect for life) Right after your post I’m quoting though you called somebody insane and rambling. That is sort of shutting down debate is it not?
I try my best, but as a human we are all imperfect. I make no claims on being perfect, I have my share of dumbass posts too.

The post simply did not make any sense, and I could have done better on my response.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I try my best, but as a human we are all imperfect. I make no claims on being perfect, I have my share of dumbass posts too.

The post simply did not make any sense, and I could have done better on my response.
I had to ask. Thanks for responding and the solid posting. Good answer.

Reactions: Cleetus and kb

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!

me and you have some differences in opinions in the past, and will probably continue to have some but I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, as you post facts when I go on one of my hot take rants, and you show we where I went wrong lol, cant ask for much more, solid poster for sure!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
me and you have some differences in opinions in the past, and will probably continue to have some but I have a lot of respect for you as a poster, as you post facts when I go on one of my hot take rants, and you show we where I went wrong lol, cant ask for much more, solid poster for sure!
We have bridged the gap for sure, and the respect is mutual. It's not a one way street, your humourous posts often get me into a better headspace.

I had a lot of things happen in my personal life that has greatly affected how I see things, and there was a lot of self-reflection that went on. It's an ongoing process however, so you will still see stupid posts. LOL

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The play of Noah Gregor in the pre-season likely played a factor in the Leafs feeling comfortable enough to trade Sam Lafferty and his $1.15M cap hit to Vancouver yesterday for a fifth round pick.

Gregor does all the things Lafferty does, but is three years younger and will come with a cheaper cap hit.

Reactions: Puckstuff

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
In a narrow sense, we'll have traded Lafferty (at $1.15m) for Gregor (at $775k-ish) + a 5th rounder (the extra cap space also appears to give us the flexibility to have a 21-man roster rather than a 20-man roster).

That's a reasonable deal.

Now, assuming the Leafs staff would prefer Lafferty over Gregor in any notional lineup (it's ultimately pretty marginal, but a fair assumption), the trade was necessitated by our cap situation.

That then opens up the debate to whatever your bugbear is about the Leafs cap: the Matthews/Tavares/Marner contracts, Reaves at 3x1.35, Klingberg at 4.15, Kampf at 2.4, Leafs failing to anticipate Samsonov getting 3.55 in arbitration when they apparently were hoping to get him down to the low 3s, etc. Have fun with such debates as you like.

This cap thing is increasingly appearing to be an important consideration.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
It depends. If I'm on another site and someone goes full Trump or says Stalin was a nice guy, I don't hold back.
Don't hold back what? One of those disturbing tantrums over politics certain relatives have at Thanksgiving dinners instead of just having some pleasant conversation talking about old times, their children, old acquaintances, their pets, departed family members, the local sports teams, tv shows, music, hobbies, vacations, etc.?

• Haha
Reactions: theTTC

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Don't hold back what? One of those disturbing tantrums over politics certain relatives have at Thanksgiving dinners instead of just having some pleasant conversation talking about old times, their children, old acquaintances, their pets, departed family members, the local sports teams, tv shows, music, hobbies, vacations, etc.?
Make up your mind. Are you talking online or dinners with relatives?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad