Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade F Sam Lafferty to Vancouver for a 2024 5th

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Do you know how many 20 goal scorers we've moved out in the last 5 years?

Also, the plan would be to move out a no-show playoff performer and bulster the D to reduce the goals against by Jarnkrok's contributions.

Might want to count the 2025 picks before you congratulate someone.

So let me get this right. The team scored 2 goals or less in 7 straight playoff games and your solution to that is to take 20 goals out of the lineup.

That is a very poor idea.

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Yeah we need to trim the fat.

He was making whooping 1.25M ? The cheaper player will save us what 200K ?
They'll likely be saving about $350K with an alternative 4th liner to Lafferty - Holmberg, Gregor, McMann - and that money will allow them to go with a 21, not 20 man roster. So yes, those savings are meaningful

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Yeah we need to trim the fat.

He was making whooping 1.25M ? The cheaper player will save us what 200K ?
It’ll be a little more than that and you clearly do not know our salary cap situation as saving the difference actually makes a difference.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Only in Toronto does trading a chump like Lafferty garner so many headlines.

Should we should hold a moment of silence?

I never even heard of this guy before they traded for him. I'll forget about him by this time next week. Lafferty didn't do enough for me to waste another thought on him now that he's gone.

All those intangibles Lafferty brought.

It's gonna be hard for the Leafs to replace him. I'm disappointed he'll no longer be around to weigh the team down anymore. Finding someone more useless to take his place will be difficult.

But I have every faith in this franchise to do so.

Sir, this is a Leafs discussion board. What else should we talk about? Baking bread?

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
???????, you never heard of Lafferty before!. You should pay more attention. 😏
I honestly miss when you used to communicate a thought without using sarcasm or mockery. I apologize for any contribution I did to bring this out.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
Is it really outlandish that some Leafs' fans liked Lafferty's contributions?
Is it necessary to slag every single player every single time as soon as he's gone?
Is it not possible to have a civil back and forth discussing whether or not the Leafs will miss the contributions of this player without resorting to rhetorical tricks to shut down the opposing view?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Is it really outlandish that some Leafs' fans liked Lafferty's contributions?
Is it necessary to slag every single player every single time as soon as he's gone?
Is it not possible to have a civil back and forth discussing whether or not the Leafs will miss the contributions of this player without resorting to rhetorical tricks to shut down the opposing view?
I have noticed a serious change as well. From Politics to Covid to Science.......there is only one point of view allowed now because the MSM and social media has normalized rhetorical tricks to shut down civil debate. It has permeated society as a whole.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
It’ll be a little more than that and you clearly do not know our salary cap situation as saving the difference actually makes a difference.

350K savings at best so we can pay big 3. I can see that we need to scrap every dollar now.

JT & MM made us a bit worse once again what's new? The number of picks and assets we need to bleed to keep their contracts in Toronto.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
350K savings at best so we can pay big 3. I can see that we need to scrap every dollar now.

JT & MM made us a bit worse once again what's new? The number of picks and assets we need to bleed to keep their contracts in Toronto.
This is an insane rambling take. Like all 865 posts.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

The difference currently doesn't help us at all... this trade had nothing to do with the cap, it looks like it was about moving someone out who didn't have a spot on our team for an asset, nothing else...

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Only in Toronto does trading a chump like Lafferty garner so many headlines.

Should we should hold a moment of silence?

I never even heard of this guy before they traded for him. I'll forget about him by this time next week. Lafferty didn't do enough for me to waste another thought on him now that he's gone.

All those intangibles Lafferty brought.

It's gonna be hard for the Leafs to replace him. I'm disappointed he'll no longer be around to weigh the team down anymore. Finding someone more useless to take his place will be difficult.

But I have every faith in this franchise to do so.
I'll never understand the 'I've never heard of this guy!' comments, as if that is supposed to make the player look bad when in reality it just suggests that you don't know much.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
This is the first bad move Tre has made imo. Really good depth guy for playoffs. No chance Minten provides value come playoff time but Lafferty definitely could have. I would honestly rather have Lafferty than Jarnkrok come playoff time. Laffertys speed and physicality are really good assets and he actually has a bit of skill as well. I really dont get the move.
Somebody had to go to be cap compliant

Reactions: DarkKnight

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
I think he''ll help Vancouver more for a 5th round pick than some of the help we've acquired the last few years at higher costs.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No one had to go to be cap compliant...

All these guys also had to go to become cap compliant.

1696860161395.png

Leafs might lose someone on waivers today for free.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I think he''ll help Vancouver more for a 5th round pick than some of the help we've acquired the last few years at higher costs.
He'll get more opportunity there and likely more results because of it.

I liked his overall skillset for down in the lineup, but realistically hes a lower tier NHLer and someone we shouldnt have any issue replacing

Reactions: Leafidelity

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
The difference currently doesn't help us at all... this trade had nothing to do with the cap, it looks like it was about moving someone out who didn't have a spot on our team for an asset, nothing else...
It does help us though… And it definitely had something to do with our cap situation. We can now carry 21 players opposed to 20 which is a win on its own. Then you factor in you’re now able to give Minten a 9 game look…

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I have noticed a serious change as well. From Politics to Covid to Science.......there is only one point of view allowed now because the MSM and social media has normalized rhetorical tricks to shut down civil debate. It has permeated society as a whole.
My experience is social media has been anything but social.

Too many keyboard warriors who don’t have the knowledge or personal confidence to be able to accept that opposing views don’t necessarily mean that either view is wrong.

Inability to see value in a differing view is a sign of incredible weakness and the where ignorance grows.

All this access to information and people search out only what reinforces what they think. Anything contradictory is dismissed. It’s lead to a very dangerous and narrow view of everything.

Add to it the serious dumbing down of society and the rise of intolerance being acceptable, and it’s a very unsettling road we are on.

There used to be dialogue and discussion. Now there is just disdain and disgust.

…… and I liked Lafferty. Wish we could have kept him. My first preference would have been to keep Acciari. I’ve wanted him for years.

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Yup. The idea of entertaining another person's opinion seems to be a thing of the past. It's a slippery slope.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It does help us though… And it definitely had something to do with our cap situation. We can now carry 21 players opposed to 20 which is a win on its own. Then you factor in you’re now able to give Minten a 9 game look…

We can only carry 21 due to Timmins being on LTIR, otherwise, we can't... so who cares? Isn't it only a couple weeks?

If we dropped a player to carry 21 skaters for a couple of weeks that is the most idiotic thing ever... we have enough waiver eligible players to just move someone down to give someone a tryout.

With Lafferty they would've been up against the cap and only allowed 20 players on the roster. Without him, we can now carry 21. We have more flexibility now

While Timmins is out... and then?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
We can only carry 21 due to Timmins being on LTIR, otherwise, we can't... so who cares? Isn't it only a couple weeks?

If we dropped a player to carry 21 skaters for a couple of weeks that is the most idiotic thing ever... we have enough waiver eligible players to just move someone down to give someone a tryout.

While Timmins is out... and then?
You deal with that when Timmins is due to return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad