Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Carter Asthon David Broll to Tampa for Pick

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
But again, it's not only about NEXT year, it's about THIS year. What is so hard to understand. It's like talking to a cat on catnip...

We are very likely to get at least a couple trades that will bring in more players then we send back as well, especially for a trade for Kessel and Phaneuf in the next 6 months.

When everything is said and done, we're going to be between 46 to 49 contracts next year, which is pretty standard. We need open spots for the shot-term for waiver claims and potential deals.

This is all about opening avenues and preparing for what's to come. That's it. A minor move.

I wonder how many Eastern Conference team that have been beating the Leafs easily when they play the Buds with Phaneuf, Lupul and Kessel on the team will want to make a trade to remove them from the team? It would be like potentially making the job harder by doing this, but keeping it easy if they do nothing (don't trade). They are not easy contracts to accommodate either.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lack of roster room due to maxed contracts can prevent signings and even claiming players on waivers when you have 50 max contracts.

Case in point Boston U goalie Matt O'Connor a NCAA free wallet that plays with Jack Eichel. He is being heavily recruited right now . He is also a Toronto born kid and you know because of Eichel he is being heavily scouted.

The 50 pro contracts would prevent the Leafs from potentially signing him. So this trade moves them to 48 contacts and allows for transactions to occur.

This really has little to due with Ashton and Broll big picture.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Erik Erlendsson @erlendssonTBO

Condition of the draft pick: If Ashton plays in 15 games with #TBLightning next season the #Leafs will receive a 2016 7th round pick

If Ashton does not appear in 15 games with #tblightning next season then #Leafs receive no compensation for this deal

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Condition of the draft pick: If Ashton plays in 15 games with #TBLightning next season the #Leafs will receive a 2016 7th round pick

If Ashton does not appear in 15 games with #tblightning next season then #Leafs receive no compensation for this deal

Carter Ashton is also on an expiring contract and will become a RFA.

All TB has to do is not qualify him and he walks away a UFA instead and no draft pick loss for the lightning.

This trade was more of a favor to the Leafs as Stevie Y knows the Leafs want to make changes.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

All TB has to do is not qualify him and he walks away a UFA instead and no draft pick loss for the lightning.

This trade was more of a favor to the Leafs as Stevie Y knows the Leafs want to make changes.

I seriously doubt it was just a favour. Yzerman is a very bright GM. He stands to gain from this too. It was a no risk move for him. All it will take is one of the 2 players to make TB. I don't buy the it was just a favour. He is trying to make TB better. Not the Leafs better.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Perhaps Nonis is paying him back for the Panik theft?

Ashton/Broll for Panik

Could be Yzerman isn't the sharp exec he is thought to be?

Really, a late 6th or an early 6th

Early 6th would be criminal, mid 6th is fair.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Perhaps Nonis is paying him back for the Panik theft?

Ashton/Broll for Panik

Could be Yzerman isn't the sharp exec he is thought to be?

Early 6th would be criminal, mid 6th is fair.

I think it's pretty straight forward - Tampa needs bodies for the Monarchs, Toronto needs flexibility in contracts - Toronto gives them two minor league players who will no part in their future in exchange for contract space.

Both teams get what they need.

King85Kong

Playoffs?
Nov 24, 2013
Toronto
I think it's pretty straight forward - Tampa needs bodies for the Monarchs, Toronto needs flexibility in contracts - Toronto gives them two minor league players who will no part in their future in exchange for contract space.

This seems to be the likely case

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I seriously doubt it was just a favour. Yzerman is a very bright GM. He stands to gain from this too. It was a no risk move for him. All it will take is one of the 2 players to make TB. I don't buy the it was just a favour. He is trying to make TB better. Not the Leafs better.

A favour of this kind usually gets paid back, somehow.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
A favour of this kind usually gets paid back, somehow.

easy

"Hey, Steve - do you mind taking some contracts off my hands?"
"sure - but you know we're interested in Franson right? come back to me when you get all your offers, and let me be the final bidder."

(or something akin to that).

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Agreed.

My answer was more tongue in cheek in response to those thinking Yzerman in his greatness has somehow fleeced the incompetent Leaf Management.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Kyper mentioned it on Hockey Central the other day.

Perhaps an eye for an eye and when\if in the future TB needs to dump a contract to make room then he will ask for his conditional 7th rounder back in exchange. It was actually a future consideration type transaction. ;)

This was a favour to Toronto so that they can make a multi-player trade where they take back more contracts then go out.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kyper mentioned it on Hockey Central the other day.

Perhaps an eye for an eye and when\if in the future TB needs to dump a contract to make room then he will ask for his conditional 7th rounder back in exchange. It was actually a future consideration type transaction. ;)

This was a favour to Toronto so that they can make a multi-player trade where they take back more contracts then go out.

Let's not forget the Leafs did a huge favour for TB a few years back when we took over a couple LTIR's for a pick.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
easy

"Hey, Steve - do you mind taking some contracts off my hands?"
"sure - but you know we're interested in Franson right? come back to me when you get all your offers, and let me be the final bidder."

(or something akin to that).

I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like that
And I do think GM' s help eachother out now and then. It's good business

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Let's not forget the Leafs did a huge favour for TB a few years back when we took over a couple LTIR's for a pick.

The Olaf Kozig type transaction was a similar example. It wasn't a hockey deal its was a favour to eat some salary for draft pick.

TB is a good team and are dumping a player like Panik on waivers due to overall team depth. They're not thinking Ashton\Broll are there to improve TB.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Maybe it was a thank you card for Richard Panik.

That's all it was, said the same thing on page 3. Think of it like a trade to iron out relations with a potential future trade partner. They needed guys for the farm and we spared them the cost of acquisition.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised if it's something like that
And I do think GM' s help eachother out now and then. It's good business

right.

like sometimes some trades are pure stupidity or highway robbery, or you simply do not know/appreciate/anticipate what you have - or you have to make a move.

but i think fans get so wrapped up in wanting to "win" trades, that we sometimes forget the best hockey trades are the ones that benefit both teams, and sometimes the minor trades is just simply to get some good credit, or help a team out. [especially when someone just reminded us that the Leafs took some LTIRs to help Tampa out]

[i honestly think this is why most GMs don't offer sheet, etc. why screw over a business connection like that]

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad