Confirmed with Link: Leafs trade Carter Asthon David Broll to Tampa for Pick

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Kyper mentioned it on Hockey Central the other day.

Perhaps an eye for an eye and when\if in the future TB needs to dump a contract to make room then he will ask for his conditional 7th rounder back in exchange. It was actually a future consideration type transaction. ;)

This was a favour to Toronto so that they can make a multi-player trade where they take back more contracts then go out.

Well, I am not going to make a big deal out of it. I am sure Yzerman did it for the good of TB also. If it is a favour, then he can repay Nonis when he lands with Calgary one day, after he is fired. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Well, I am not going to make a big deal out of it. I am sure Yzerman did it for the good of TB also. If it is a favour, then he can repay Nonis when he lands with Calgary one day, after he is fired. ;)

Why is it Nonis related as opposed to Toronto related and Stevie Y doing fellow former Wings teammate Shanahan (who is now running the Leafs)?

Shanny to Stevie Y, "can you do me a solid as I'm trying to clean up this mess and have no free contracts to make moves". ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Why is it Nonis related as opposed to Toronto related and Stevie Y doing fellow former Wings teammate Shanahan (who is now running the Leafs)?

Nonis has had a long history of trading with Yzerman. I would think this is the part of networking with GM's around the league that Shanahan and Dubas lack. Again experience does count. Burke had a wide network of league contacts in place when he got here. He and Murray were best trading pals. He had certain trade partners he could go to. I always thought he had Murray helped each other out. It's not against the rules, but when you are close with other GM's, you take advantage of it.

TheKingSlayer

He was in the way!
Mar 12, 2008
Ottawa
Why would the Leafs not dump off someone like Orr or McClaren?

Could we see them making it back to the show once we clear out some bodies in the NHL?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Steve Yzerman really wanted Ashton he could have claimed him for free when Leafs put him on waivers earlier.

He doesn't need to trade a pick even if its conditional for something that was free for the taking.

Not just TB but nobody wanted Carter Ashton last month when he cleared NHL waivers.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
The price for Broll was to take Ashton. The 7th rounder is gravy if it pans out.

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
The Bolts AHL team probably didn't have injury problems a month ago that made it necessary to trade for players.
As others already mentioned it is a deal between one organization that desperately needed players for their AHL team and another organization that wanted to get rid of some contracts.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Stevie Y is not tossing away 7th rounders foolishly for players he could have had for free on waivers. He is making picks that seem to be having major impact.

What are you saying? I don't mean this sarcastically either, I don't get your reference to palat and yzerman trading the 7th for broll and Ashton

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What are you saying? I don't mean this sarcastically either, I don't get your reference to palat and yzerman trading the 7th for broll and Ashton

TB scouting is finding talents like Palat scoring at a .70 PPG NHL pace in the 7th round then Stevie Y is not going to naively be dealing them for AHLers like Aston and Broll is my point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It would make rating this deal easier.

Who wins deal, Ashton and Broll or nothing?

I would put my money not on nothing.

In a vacuum perhaps.

But if you make this move as a precursor so you can make a 2-1 trade that improves the team, changes the core and has a major impact on Leafs future then getting nothing for Ashton and Broll can be consider brilliant.

What happens next will impact a trade made to clear contracts. If Leafs didn't need more contract space for something bigger then why make this move?

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
It would make rating this deal easier.

Who wins deal, Ashton and Broll or nothing?

I would put my money not on nothing.

But ... it's not nothing. In the NHL, cap space, contract positions, etc all have value. It's naïve to think this deal was for nothing.

Remember, it's not even just the TD, but team can not make any moves until the draft. Being at 50 contracts restricts your negotiations, for as soon as someone starts mentioning "I'll give A & C for D", you have to say "hold that thought ... I'm at 50 contracts!"

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
If TB didn't make this deal, and the Leafs had to clear out a couple of contracts because they were at the 50 limit, what are the "rules" about buying out non-NHL (ie non cap related) contracts?

Anyone have a link?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
But ... it's not nothing. In the NHL, cap space, contract positions, etc all have value. It's naïve to think this deal was for nothing.

Remember, it's not even just the TD, but team can not make any moves until the draft. Being at 50 contracts restricts your negotiations, for as soon as someone starts mentioning "I'll give A & C for D", you have to say "hold that thought ... I'm at 50 contracts!"

You can try to paint it anyway you want. 2 players for nothing, is still nothing. Leafs have 2 empty roster spots now. If they do not fill them by Mar 2, it is a terrible deal to give away a 21 and 23 year old players for nothing.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
I'm surprised TB took on the extra salary, to be honest. I know it won't affect their cap, but it affects the budget.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
They do have a depleted roster in the AHL. They needed players.

I know you do not want to go on about this, but why a team as bad as ours should care about helping a much better team like TB anyway?

Nonis should be worrying about the Leafs first, who cares about Yzerman or TB.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
If Steve Yzerman really wanted Ashton he could have claimed him for free when Leafs put him on waivers earlier.

He doesn't need to trade a pick even if its conditional for something that was free for the taking.

Not just TB but nobody wanted Carter Ashton last month when he cleared NHL waivers.

Because he wanted him for his banged up AHL team, and by claiming him he would have had to put him on waivers again to send him down. Which he may have cleared then if Toronto didn't want him for the Marlies at the time, but teams don't tend to claim players for their AHL team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad