Confirmed with Link: Leafs To Hire Spokane Chiefs GM Tim Speltz

Mr Hockey*

SPOKANE, Wash. – The Spokane Chiefs announced at a press conference today that Tim Speltz will step down as General Manager of the organization later this month. Speltz, originally hired by the Chiefs in 1990, has accepted a job as Director of Western Area Scouting with the Toronto Maple Leafs of the National Hockey League. With the Maple Leafs, Speltz will be involved with scouting efforts in the NHL, AHL and WHL.

“Today is a very special, albeit bittersweet, day for me,†said Speltz. “I am immensely proud of what we’ve been able to build in Spokane and I am confident that the organization will continue to experience success under the guidance of Bobby Brett and the entire Chiefs staff.â€

“The opportunity I’ve been presented with by Toronto is extraordinary and is something that I couldn’t pass up,†Speltz continued. “I am excited to take on a new challenge and get started with such an iconic NHL franchise. I am also very grateful that I’ll be able to assist in the Chiefs’ transition to a new general manager as well as continue to call Spokane home for my family.â€

“There are so many people to thank and too many to mention to adequately express my appreciation for this organization, our staff, both past and present, the city of Spokane and our great fans.â€

Speltz was General Manager for the Medicine Hat Tigers from 1988-90 before arriving in Spokane during the summer of 1990. In the subsequent 26 years under his leadership, the organization has experienced success rivaled by very few in the Western Hockey League, winning two WHL Championships and Memorial Cups in 1991 and 2008.

In Speltz’s 26 years at the helm, the Chiefs won 961 regular season games. The organization topped 40 wins 10 times, 50 wins twice and 100 points four times. They added 142 playoff wins, reaching the postseason in 23 of his 26 seasons, the Western Conference Finals seven times and the WHL Finals four times.

Additionally, he was honored as WHL Executive of the Year twice (1995-96 and 1999-00) and CHL Executive of the Year once (1995-96). He was part of the management group for Hockey Canada at the 2014 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup and has been part of the Hockey Canada management group for the Canadian under-20 program for the past two years.

“I am thrilled at this opportunity for Tim,†said Chiefs’ managing partner Bobby Brett. “He has been a big part of our success as well as a close personal friend. We will be looking for a new general manager who can continue to build on the foundation that Tim has helped establish with the Chiefs.â€

Speltz will remain with the Chiefs through their upcoming training camp – August 25-28 at Spokane Arena – and assist the organization in transition efforts. The Chiefs will immediately begin a search for a new general manager.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
If I recall, 2017 is supposed to be a big year for WHL prospects, so the timing couldn't be much better. Glad they're still looking to beef up management.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
As a Chiefs fan this really sucks but I wish him the best in his new job with your organization

Ropesman

May 1, 2016
Charlottetown
Keep flexing that financial muscle, I love it. This management has keep true to their word, that is using the financial stability we enjoy to better the team in every way possible within a salary cap world.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
*peeking from Olympics Bubble*

Oh Cool. Leafs did something cool. Hopefully we can get a Director of QMHL scouting too. but i'm sure that Hunter's got a handle on it

*back into Olympics bubble*

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Good move. Getting guys to specialize in handling the scouts in various regions can only get us more information to base our decisions on.

Nice move.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This is a very smart move by the Leafs to get someone so involved with the WHL into the organization. Shanahan is building this organization the smart way by building with experience in scouting and evaluation, both young and old. Welcome to the organization, Tim Speltz.

ForSpareParts*

I guess I'll never understand how a thread like this can get to the 2nd page. There's barely a discussion here. In 5 years when he gets fired we'll be able to reflect on the impact this hire had.

I think we could soon have a Dubas discussion. What the heck has he done? Are we a better possession team? Nothing to write home about.i think I will bump his thread today.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
GREAT hiring. Im extremely surprised TO was able to pry him away from Spokane. Knows his stuff, UNREAL person and will be an extremely solid addition to your guys' team. Congrats to Leafs and congrats to Tim Speltz

Last edited:

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I guess I'll never understand how a thread like this can get to the 2nd page. There's barely a discussion here. In 5 years when he gets fired we'll be able to reflect on the impact this hire had.

I think we could soon have a Dubas discussion. What the heck has he done? Are we a better possession team? Nothing to write home about.i think I will bump his thread today.

Why will he get fired in 5 years?

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I don't know. What is the life span of a guy in a position like this?

scouts have a pretty long shelf life. He's a significant hiring and will be around till he retires. He left a very good spot in Spokane and TO wont ever fire him. He knows his stuff... especially in WHL

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah, scouts often outlive the guys the hired them. Bergman is probably the longest serving member of our management team. Been here as long as I can remember.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Interesting. Should have a good wealth of knowledge into WHL players.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hunter seems to like having a smaller scouting group - ie hence the gutting of the Leafs accounts last year. So this must mean he really trusts this guy a lot.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

What is this post even..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad