Confirmed with Link: Leafs To Hire Spokane Chiefs GM Tim Speltz

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I guess now that McCrimmon went to Vegas, we went a different route in the WHL.

@TPS_Guy: I'm hearing that the Toronto Maple Leafs will announce the hiring of Tim Speltz (@spokanechiefs) this afternoon. #Leafs

@TPS_Guy: If so, that would be a big loss to the @spokanechiefs where he has been GM since 1990. Speltz has also worked a lot with @HockeyCanada

@spokanechiefs: The Chiefs will be holding a press conference at 2pm today to make a major organizational announcement. Details to follow.

Presser at 5pm est

Last edited:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
GM of Spokane since 1990 holy, this is gonna be a huge move for him. I wonder what his job is.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Can't see him leaving or them having a presser if he's only being brought in as a scout.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Which job was that?

Kelly McCrimmon declines Maple Leafs' job offer

http://www.thescore.com/news/784349

Not even the allure of hockey's biggest market could pry Kelly McCrimmon away from his beloved Brandon Wheat Kings.

The Toronto Maple Leafs offered McCrimmon a management position in Brendan Shanahan's new front-office regime, but on Monday, he announced his intent to remain owner, general manager, and head coach of the WHL franchise.

"I have made the decision to remain with the Wheat Kings," McCrimmon said in a statement on the team's website. "I was honoured to have been considered for a position with the Maple Leafs. It would have been a tremendous opportunity."

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
I would have to think Speltz has so many connections and knows the WHL inside and out. This could be really good at getting info in that side of junior.

Assistant to Hunter or just another Director or player personnel?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Beefing up our info in the WHL is a smart move, he would obviously also have strong connections in WHL states for scouting purposes and the BCHL. Does anyone know who the Leafs point-man in the QMJHL is? It seems to be Real Paiement. Seems we have a fairly large presence out west now, and it sounds like a good move to have a respected WHL vet oversee them, allowing Hunter more time to manage Ontario, Quebec, USHL, while keeping an eye on Europe and the West Coast.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Hunter is at the top, and has his Q and Dub lieutentants.
Just looked, we seem to only have on Q scout, so I would think Hunter oversees Q operations very hands on. The one thing with scouting the Q, is that it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of our OHL scouts are based in Ottawa currently. That is one of the very popular places for scouts to live due to the fact it provides easy access to scouting OHL and QMJHL players. Similarly, a lot of scouts like Ann Arbour due to it providing easy access to OHL and USHL. The WHL doesn't really have link cities like that.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Seems Hunter was looking for someone with as much knowledge of the WHL, as he has of the OHL.

With 26 years of experience, can't find anyone who has seen more players develop in that league than him.

It's kinda odd. We have plenty of OHL guys, Paliafito, Hofford, Martino, and now a good amount of WHL guys, Gerrits, Derkatch, Speltz, Malarchuk.

We have Real Paiement as a lone wolf in Eastern Canada.

John Lilley and Jim Vesey as regional US guys.

But our QMJHL presence is kinda non-existent. I wonder if that is where Hunter turns his attention to next in the scouting/development area.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Seems Hunter was looking for someone with as much knowledge of the WHL, as he has of the OHL.

With 26 years of experience, can't find anyone who has seen more players develop in that league than him.

It's kinda odd. We have plenty of OHL guys, Paliafito, Hofford, Martino, and now a good amount of WHL guys, Gerrits, Derkatch, Speltz, Malarchuk.

We have Real Paiement as a lone wolf in Eastern Canada.

John Lilley and Jim Vesey as regional US guys.

But our QMJHL presence is kinda non-existent. I wonder if that is where Hunter turns his attention to next in the scouting/development area.
My guess is we may be looking at it, but as I mentioned, a lot of OHL scouts operate out of Ottawa, so they tend to get a lot of QMJHL viewings. It may help to have someone out east though to get more viewings of the players in the Maritimes.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Just looked, we seem to only have on Q scout, so I would think Hunter oversees Q operations very hands on. The one thing with scouting the Q, is that it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of our OHL scouts are based in Ottawa currently. That is one of the very popular places for scouts to live due to the fact it provides easy access to scouting OHL and QMJHL players. Similarly, a lot of scouts like Ann Arbour due to it providing easy access to OHL and USHL. The WHL doesn't really have link cities like that.

You mean the Tri-City Americans (WHL) and the Tri-City Storm (USHL) don't play in the same 'Tri-City'?!? How many different Tri-Cities can there be lol! That is some Inception-level mindblowing right there! :amazed:

Edit: Upon forther inspection, it seems the WHL team is in Kennewick, WA while the USHL team is in Kearney, NE. I am now questioning everything I have ever known...

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
My guess is we may be looking at it, but as I mentioned, a lot of OHL scouts operate out of Ottawa, so they tend to get a lot of QMJHL viewings. It may help to have someone out east though to get more viewings of the players in the Maritimes.

Unless things changed, I believe Hofford and Martino work out of London with Mark Hunter. Paliafito was in Saginaw, so he could have relocated.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You mean the Tri-City Americans (WHL) and the Tri-City Storm (USHL) don't play in the same 'Tri-City'?!? How many different Tri-Cities can there be lol! That is some Inception-level mindblowing right there! :amazed:

Edit: Upon forther inspection, it seems the WHL team is in Kennewick, WA while the USHL team is in Kearney, NE. I am now questioning everything I have ever known...
Haha, I'm sure there are others. According to Wikipedia, there are quite a few in America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-Cities

Edit: Pretty sure the closest cities of the WHL to the USHL is Fargo to Brandon, which are 5 hours apart. Scouting the west cost seems to be fairly isolated. Outside of the most eastern part of the WHL, there are almost no major college programs nearby.

Last edited:

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Unless things changed, I believe Hofford and Martino work out of London with Mark Hunter. Paliafito was in Saginaw, so he could have relocated.
Wouldn't be surprised if Paliafito is still Michigan based. Quite useful to have someone based there due to the combo of college hockey, USHL and OHL all in the region. Either way, it isn't much of a trip for even London-based scouts to get out to Ottawa for a weekend to catch Ottawa and Gatineau double headers. Something like a 6-hour drive, or a 1-hour flight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad