Leafs tickets at face for sale

deaconblues442

Oct 18, 2010
I have sold my seasons on here in the past. I have several games available at face, as early as Oct 5 vs. Montreal. I have four aisle seats in the third row of 312 on the aisle shared with 311. Face varies by game. Please PM me if interested. Thanks.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah they've certainly hit their limit on pricing, haven't they? Saturday there were face value seats available at all price levels, all day. They've been sitting there months. I paid $220 for a seat that's face value was magically $160 on Saturday, they dropped prices and still couldn't sell out a Saturday night vs Montreal.

WildWolfdog

Dec 4, 2008
Yeah they've certainly hit their limit on pricing, haven't they? Saturday there were face value seats available at all price levels, all day. They've been sitting there months. I paid $220 for a seat that's face value was magically $160 on Saturday, they dropped prices and still couldn't sell out a Saturday night vs Montreal.

Sorry just to clarify - are you saying that you were able to find seats for this past Saturday's game for $160 on game day? And that they were $220 face value on let's say Friday?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
The resale policy has impacted resale value a lot as well IMO. Used to be a lot easier to sell through places like StubHub

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Sorry just to clarify - are you saying that you were able to find seats for this past Saturday's game for $160 on game day? And that they were $220 face value on let's say Friday?

I purchased at $220 (after fees face value) back during the on-sale in July. Several hundred tickets remained unsold, I checked frequently as I'm a ticket broker and also bought tickets to sell for the game. Not sure exactly when the face value dropped, but it was some time in the last week or so. I know all the prices they were charging back in July, and everything was marked down nearly 30% leading up to the game.

Face value tickets are available for nearly every Leaf game still, uppers and lowers. They also hold back 100 or so for every single game, on game day they get released and sit there often right until puck drop. They release them at a price the market will sustain, always lower than what they charged in July.

They are very good at this dynamic pricing, but some feel it's unfair to the customer.

The resale policy has impacted resale value a lot as well IMO. Used to be a lot easier to sell through places like StubHub

They've raised the ticket prices a lot over the last ten years, SRO by 300%, purples by 50%. Lowers always cost bank, but they've gone up a bit too. There's no more money to be made on the Maple Leafs.

Which as a broker/fan I'm fine with, whatever, HRR is good for the NHL and by extension the Leafs. I just know not to bother buying Leafs to sell anymore, and just buy my own seats on game day.

I mean, I only sold 5 of 6 of the cheapest tickets in the building at a profit... for a Saturday against Montreal. An unreal thought just a handful of years ago, even when the team was junk.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
Face value tickets are available for nearly every Leaf game still, uppers and lowers. They also hold back 100 or so for every single game, on game day they get released and sit there often right until puck drop. They release them at a price the market will sustain, always lower than what they charged in July.

They are very good at this dynamic pricing, but some feel it's unfair to the customer.

Where does the team release these tickets on game day? Are they via a website or only at the arena? Also, what's the best way to find the price given it looks like there is some variability in the pricing.

I'd love to take my daughter to a game, but I can't see myself dropping almost $500 for two tickets.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Where does the team release these tickets on game day? Are they via a website or only at the arena? Also, what's the best way to find the price given it looks like there is some variability in the pricing.

I'd love to take my daughter to a game, but I can't see myself dropping almost $500 for two tickets.

ticketmaster.com

For $400 you should be able to get a pair of center ice-ish uppers for a game at some point.

Reactions: cipher

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I'm surprised at the difference in cost for season holder vs regular price.

I sat in the reds for the Leafs/Habs game on Saturday. Company seats.

Our tickets had a $100 / ticket mark up between "season ticket holder" price and "face value", which was printed directly on the ticket.

(which I don't recall our company tickets showing the difference in the past...in fact, I know they didn't...so that must be a new thing?)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Our tickets had a $100 / ticket mark up between "season ticket holder" price and "face value", which was printed directly on the ticket.

(which I don't recall our company tickets showing the difference in the past...in fact, I know they didn't...so that must be a new thing?)
Started last year.

Chris18820

Nov 11, 2018
Glad to see the dynamic pricing has had its intended results. Id rather the team, players benefit from HRR and not scalpers.

OP: If you want to sell uppers at STH price, I will buy a bunch, PM me

deaconblues442

Oct 18, 2010

This started last year as a result of the then-new Ontario legislation controlling resale prices, which has since been torn up. Not sure why it returned this year.

deaconblues442

Oct 18, 2010
Thanks.

Must make it strange selling STH tickets at "face". Now it needs to be distinguished "which face" is being referred to.

Not really. There are three prices:

1) STH cost.

2) "retail price" as printed on the ticket a/k/a/ "face value"

3) dynamic, fluctuating, market driven price on Ticketmaster.

For years the Leafs have used a "face value" (number 2 above) on season tickets that makes no sense. Say my ticket said $100 (for which I paid say $90), a comparable ticket was never offered to the general public at $100, rather at a number substantially greater, plus Ticketmaster fees. This has never been more evident than with the advent of dynamic pricing, wherein -again using the made up numbers above- if my ticket says $100, there is no fixed number or limit for which the Leafs may offer said ticket to the public. [for example, last year I sold a weekday Leafs/Pens game for face which was $196/ticket. On the day of the game, the Leafs sent out a tickets released email. The person whom I sold the tickets to clicked it and texted me asking why I sold her my tickets for $100 less per ticket than the Leafs charged.]

Years ago there was no STH discount, I think they made it up as a way for STH to feel better about the exorbitant cost of their tix and allow them to recoup a small profit when dispersing. I don't think it is unreasonably for STH to ask for "face" as 1) season ticket holders have to front the cash and carry the tickets, and 2) the general public cannot buy a ticket from the primary seller (read: the Leafs via Ticketmaster) for anywhere near that number.

deaconblues442

Oct 18, 2010

This Saturday was absurd. You'd think that the rows of unsold primary tickets on Ticketmaster for a Saturday night game against Montreal was a slap in the face for MLSE, but I doubt they cared. I suspect whatever algorithm they base their initial pricing on allows them to still profit despite a bevy of unsold tickets. But I think the Leafs have officially priced a substantial amount of their fan base out of the arena. If not altogether, certainly priced out of several games per season.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
tough to swallow paying 200 bucks/ticket and the 2 hour travel time when I have the urge to stand up and walk out 2 minutes into the third in a blowout loss.

Only go for free now or if im in the city downtown with nothibg else to do and the game already started

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
This started last year as a result of the then-new Ontario legislation controlling resale prices, which has since been torn up. Not sure why it returned this year.

Didn't have anything to do with the proposed legislation.

I'm not sure if the STH meant his tickets were $100 more expensive, or $100 less expensive, but there are reasons for each. Most regular STHers tickets will be less expensive, because nearly all the order fees are cut out, and the team sells them a little bit cheaper. However, STHers can now be invoiced at a higher price if the owner is identified as a potential broker. Since he did say they were 'company' seats, there are different people in the seats frequently, and maybe they're even sold through exchanges, and perhaps they were flagged for the premium price.

And of course the dynamic pricing thing exists, so this whole comparing prices thing is a nightmare.

The primary market has made no changes due to legislation, but Ticketmaster has definitely turned to brokering their own seats for sports teams and artists, under the veil of dynamic pricing and platinum tickets.

The only change to come on the secondary market, in Ontario, the face value of the seat must be displayed on a marketplace website. You'll see this when you look at an Ontario concert on Stubhub, for example, but not for events in other places.

deaconblues442

Oct 18, 2010
Didn't have anything to do with the proposed legislation.

The only change to come on the secondary market, in Ontario, the face value of the seat must be displayed on a marketplace website. You'll see this when you look at an Ontario concert on Stubhub, for example, but not for events in other places.

Yeah, you're simply incorrect.

1) STH have long paid a price lower than printed on the ticket. Prior to last season, the Wynne government enacted legislation that restricted the amount by which one can re-sell a ticket by to 50% above cost. Therefore, for the first time, the Leafs had to print both prices, so that STH selling their tickets for a premium could comply with the law. This was ripped up by the Ford government, but for whatever reason the Leafs left both numbers on the tickets this year.

2) The required face value display on resale platforms was also ripped up. StubHub asks for it because they have yet to update their website, but they no longer display it to the public.

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah, you're simply incorrect.

1) STH have long paid a price lower than printed on the ticket. Prior to last season, the Wynne government enacted legislation that restricted the amount by which one can re-sell a ticket by to 50% above cost. Therefore, for the first time, the Leafs had to print both prices, so that STH selling their tickets for a premium could comply with the law. This was ripped up by the Ford government, but for whatever reason the Leafs left both numbers on the tickets this year.

2) The required face value display on resale platforms was also ripped up. StubHub asks for it because they have yet to update their website, but they no longer display it to the public.

Yeah I said STHers pay a lower price. I also said teams are flagging certain STHers and invoicing them more.

You probably went to Stubhub.com and had a look, but go have a look at events through StubHub.ca... operated in Canada and the face value is displayed. That was NOT ripped up.

Literally have to put it in through my POS, or the tickets will not list.

Pretty sure a guy with 6 figures of inventory and hangs out daily with the biggest brokers in north america knows.

deaconblues442

Oct 18, 2010
Yeah I said STHers pay a lower price. I also said teams are flagging certain STHers and invoicing them more.

You probably went to Stubhub.com and had a look, but go have a look at events through StubHub.ca... operated in Canada and the face value is displayed. That was NOT ripped up.

Literally have to put it in through my POS, or the tickets will not list.

Pretty sure a guy with 6 figures of inventory and hangs out daily with the biggest brokers in north america knows.

StubHub.ca will launch in Canadian dollars in January. Again, the FV requirement simply remains because they have yet to update their site.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad