Seravalli: Leafs targeting Carson Soucy?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He plays 16 min a night?
Probably more physical than Holl?

Is that the plan? Holl for soucy?

Reilly. Brodie
sandin lilly
Gio. Soucy
Benn. Mete?

Not sure if that really moves the needle.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Once again, Dubas is not the guy to lead this team to the promise land. Leafs don’t need to spend assets on D. He traded for Muzzin a few years ago, that didn’t do anything. Time and time again the need is another top 6 forward. Beyond the top 4 forwards, they have very little depth. Why would he think that a Carson Soucy is the missing piece?

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
He plays 16 min a night?
Probably more physical than Holl?

Is that the plan? Holl for soucy?

Reilly. Brodie
sandin lilly
Gio. Soucy
Benn. Mete?

Not sure if that really moves the needle.

Yeah. This was my thought. But i don't know that it really makes the most sense.

I think it'd have to be Holl+ too. And while Soucy might be the more physical presence, Holl probably has the better ability to move up the lineup when needed.

Just doesn't really make sense to me, unless Toronto are really desperately searching for more physicality. But even then...i don't think Holl is the guy to "replace" in the lineup. It's not like he's tiny or soft.

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They should have went after Soucy last year.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I certainly admire the hustle of the OP here. The amount of "Player X to the leafs!" threads started by them is remarkable.

Reactions: Ciao

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He has but I'm not sure what that has to do with my post.

You said they should have went after Soucy last year, I assumed you meant instead of Gio but Gio has been awesome since the moment he got here.

In fact given that defense was completely gutted at one point I'd argue he's been our best D man this year

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Frank Seravalli has reported that the Leafs primary area they want to upgrade is defense and that one of the guys they are targeting is Carson Soucy, this is an odd trade target to have.

Not because Toronto couldn't use another D man, of course they could you can never have to much defense because you don't need it until you do.

But because as of now Seattle is in a playoff spot now It's not the most secure spot but they are in a playoff spot so as of today it doesn't make sense.

Unless It's not a futures deal but more of a hockey deal.

A hockey deal could make sense

They need

Keyser Söze​

Reactions: Gilmour1996

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
You said they should have went after Soucy last year, I assumed you meant instead of Gio but Gio has been awesome since the moment he got here.

In fact given that defense was completely gutted at one point I'd argue he's been our best D man this year
He should have came along with Giordano.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I'm not implying he'll be traded if that was your interpretation.

If he does resign, I don't know what his AAV will be.

But, there isn't a lot to work with already with $12.7 m of projected cap space (number comes from CapFriendly) and 11 players to sign.

Its just a recap of the cap situation.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
All teams seems to be short of defensemen, its the hottest commodity on the market. To get a chance at the cup, its a must with at least 5 good Ds that can carry one rookie D in the 3rd pair.
The Leafs have 7D who should be in the lineup nightly, and Benn at 8D who is serviceable in spot duty.

This rumour from Seravalli doesn't make sense. So the Leafs add to their group of...defensemen who won't get in the lineup? Maybe he's the 6D? And why would Seattle subtract from their depth when they're trying to make the playoffs?

Reactions: Ciao

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
You guys will have an interesting summer. 11 players to sign with $12.7 m of projected cap space. And also, what to do with Matthews before his NMC kicks in.
Be careful with CapFriendly summaries. That figure includes the cap hits of Muzzin/Robertson/Amirov without including them on the roster.

More accurately it's 11 players to sign with ~20m in projected capspace, of those 11, you have 6-7D and 10-13F for 4.65- 6m combined. 14-15m for 4x middle 6 forwards and a back up G.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If this trade happens it raises an interesting question: Seattle is only in year two of their existence and didn't really plan on making the playoffs this season anyway - would they sacrifice their playoff chances to grab another pile of assets prior to taking the next step in 2023-24?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad