Seravalli: Leafs targeting Carson Soucy?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Frank Seravalli has reported that the Leafs primary area they want to upgrade is defense and that one of the guys they are targeting is Carson Soucy, this is an odd trade target to have.

Not because Toronto couldn't use another D man, of course they could you can never have to much defense because you don't need it until you do.

But because as of now Seattle is in a playoff spot now It's not the most secure spot but they are in a playoff spot so as of today it doesn't make sense.

Unless It's not a futures deal but more of a hockey deal.

A hockey deal could make sense

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Seems like anyone would have to super overpay for Soucy since Seattle is likely bound for the playoffs. LA would love to acquire him too, just seems far fetched at this point that he’s moving.

So yes, OP, the only deal that makes sense is a hockey deal, but I still don’t see it happening. Would love to hear SEA fans opinion on their team’s needs though.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Frank Seravalli has reported that the Leafs primary area they want to upgrade is defense and that one of the guys they are targeting is Carson Soucy, this is an odd trade target to have.

Not because Toronto couldn't use another D man, of course they could you can never have to much defense because you don't need it until you do.

But because as of now Seattle is in a playoff spot now It's not the most secure spot but they are in a playoff spot so as of today it doesn't make sense.

Nylander for Soucy confirmed.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Where did he say this?

Seems like anyone would have to super overpay for Soucy since Seattle is likely bound for the playoffs. LA would love to acquire him too, just seems far fetched at this point that he’s moving.

So yes, OP, the only deal that makes sense is a hockey deal, but I still don’t see it happening. Would love to hear SEA fans opinion on their team’s needs though.

Defense especially on the PK.

Nov 24, 2006
F8032AF5-E81A-43D7-8EBB-B7B4B2AC7A3D.jpeg

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Soucy is a good target for any playoff team but would Seattle move him, they are doing quite well this year. What pairing is he currently on?

I remember him in Minnesota playing the Canucks and he was a bit of a pain in the but and had an edgy side to him i think?

Another good target Joel Edmundson and he has another year left on his deal at a fair price

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
What you need is Calle Jarnkork, but you can't have Calle Jarnkork. Calle Jarnkork belongs to us now.

our PK ended up pretty bad last year (74.89%) even with Jarnkork until we traded him at the deadline. We really don't have a place for a forward that wouldn't be riding the bench and be something more than just a rotating player which is why Wright was send back to jrs.

Soucy is a good target for any playoff team but would Seattle move him, they are doing quite well this year. What pairing is he currently on?

I remember him in Minnesota playing the Canucks and he was a bit of a pain in the but and had an edgy side to him i think?

Another good target Joel Edmundson and he has another year left on his deal at a fair price

Soucy's #1 problem is he can't stay out of the box.

David Lunch

Apr 11, 2018
Where did he say this?

Defense especially on the PK.
I think the intention of my 2nd paragraph didn’t come across well. I’m basically agreeing with OP that it’s a strange report and seems counter-intuitive from SEA’s perspective.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I think the intention of my 2nd paragraph didn’t come across well. I’m basically agreeing with OP that it’s a strange report and seems counter-intuitive from SEA’s perspective.

It is but like I said perhaps It's not a futures package.

Maybe It's a hockey trade

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to the the article or podcast where Seravalli said this?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
All teams seems to be short of defensemen, its the hottest commodity on the market. To get a chance at the cup, its a must with at least 5 good Ds that can carry one rookie D in the 3rd pair.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
All teams seems to be short of defensemen, its the hottest commodity on the market. To get a chance at the cup, its a must with at least 5 good Ds that can carry one rookie D in the 3rd pair.

I mean the Leafs aren't really short a defensemen right now, they quite literally that can play, we know that because they have needed all 10.

I just want another one because I don't believe you can many but also I want this team as stacked as possible.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
I mean the Leafs aren't really short a defensemen right now, they quite literally that can play, we know that because they have needed all 10.

I just want another one because I don't believe you can many but also I want this team as stacked as possible.
Im sorry if english isnt your first language, but I cant pick up what you mean

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Don’t see any reason for the kraken to move soucy. Also for a hockey deal don’t know what the leafs would offer that would entice the kraken.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Rielly-Brodie
Gio-Holl
Sandin-Liljrgren
Timmins-Benn
Mete

Adding a guy to this group simply to have better depth doesn't make sense IMO. I could see why the Leafs would want a different type of defenceman though, especially one who can play ~18-20 minutes a night.

Leafs also have a need up front. So I could certainly see a scenario where they trade a dman in a hockey trade (eg Sandin for a similar age similar upside forward) and then trade for a bigger physical defensive dman. Though like you said, not sure why Seattle would be moving Soucy.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Seems like clickbait.

Based on my understanding of roster limits any d in means a d out. Soucy is not someone you get to be a 7 so where does he fit?

The only world this would make sense in sees Sandin+ going over for Soucy and a winger back but that seems unlikely.

Good player though.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad