Leafs Talk Radio debut with Sean Bowen and Matt

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Listen to #Leafs Talk Radio debut show today at 9am!

We are back! Join us

Stream here: http://t.co/IY29MZBQFC

@htwradio http://t.co/gq2veFL39S

mDCO3Bfq_400x400.jpeg

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay. so i'm listening.

A: so. basically, you guys still talk over one another. and because you're 30 minutes, it's about 15 minutes+ of trying to get better.

B: Cody Franson - with all due respect, Matteo, i get you want to be the "layman, every man guy." but it in all honesty, doing some research would behoove you. Cody Franson actually led the Leafs in hits. For the last two years. but I guess because it wasn't on TSN's highlight of the night it doesn't matter.

C: I find it kind of funny that you guys (while bringing up some nice points re: being built backwards, etc), also forget to mention that the ownership has actually changed hands. the brand MLSE is the same, so no - at least indicate that Rogers/Bell is at least willing to try (vs. not wanting to go through it at all/too apprehensive to go through it).

D: your kid is 7 and 5. Sean is right just stop bringing it in there.

E: i'm not sure if i'm going to be coming back, because these are sort of the same issues you guys had before. but whatever.

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
okay. so i'm listening.

A: so. basically, you guys still talk over one another. and because you're 30 minutes, it's about 15 minutes+ of trying to get better.

B: Cody Franson - with all due respect, Matteo, i get you want to be the "layman, every man guy." but it in all honesty, doing some research would behoove you. Cody Franson actually led the Leafs in hits. For the last two years. but I guess because it wasn't on TSN's highlight of the night it doesn't matter.

C: I find it kind of funny that you guys (while bringing up some nice points re: being built backwards, etc), also forget to mention that the ownership has actually changed hands. the brand MLSE is the same, so no - at least indicate that Rogers/Bell is at least willing to try (vs. not wanting to go through it at all/too apprehensive to go through it).

D: your kid is 7 and 5. Sean is right just stop bringing it in there.

E: i'm not sure if i'm going to be coming back, because these are sort of the same issues you guys had before. but whatever.

:laugh::handclap:
Intelligence and sports talk radio don't often go hand in hand. Seriously, I listened for the first 10 minutes and then wondered why I just wasted that 10 minutes of my life.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Thanks a lot of your comments make sense. We appreciate the feed back .we certainly always have things to work on. But it's fun and like I did last year's I will start incorporating more and more info from you guys here on HF ..

thanks guys it's a Labour of love and your input is always appreciated and not taken lightly

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
:laugh::handclap:
Intelligence and sports talk radio don't often go hand in hand. Seriously, I listened for the first 10 minutes and then wondered why I just wasted that 10 minutes of my life.

well it's not even that, like with sports shows, I'd like to

A: have something that's done by Leafs fans etc. that's key because if we're honest in this city we only have one Leafs-centric anything which is Leafs Lunch. and they get so punch-drunk silly at times, that's 1.2 the fun.

but there's always a nugget, or something that has a discussion you can talk about. I think in every single podcast that Sean and Matteo do - they start talking over (mostly because Sean says something, and Matteo needs to get his point across, Sean gets mad, and then they shout and by the time they both calm down, it's over). when the show is an hour - that's fine. when it's 1/2 an hour it's not. (and being shouted out for a good chunk of the show - it's why i stop listening to Hockeycentral @ Noon. I don't need to be yelled at. it doesn't mean you win, it doesn't make your point more clear, it means that I - a listener, will find something else to listen to). €

also - and I just realised this: using analytics is not a "bad way" to build your team. thinking it's the only think to build your team or it ignores deficiencies is. almost every single team (if not all) uses analytics. I also think that as most NHL teams use is not the same thing that the media gives out.

to ignore that Chicago, St Louis, San Jose, Anaheim, and LA Kings have had a huge analytics department for ages, and uses it in regards to drafting, developing, trading (ie: building their team) and summing up if the Leafs do it "it's just stupid and a waste of time." is uninformed.

also, the fact that you basically allude to "oh so we're rebuilding we're going to suck, don't want that." ... so what? what do you want? Sean basically said that you're already getting the nooses because they suck. and you went "yeah, pretty much."
which irritates the snot out of me because it's things like that that the mainstream media is going to use to say. "seeee. THIS every-day fan doesn't want a rebuild, so it's obvious that everyone else doesn't either."

also. using the Rogers HNIC numbers to show the Leafs's numbers are down, and saying that's why - or thinking that Rogers/Bell is going to sell the Leafs because they're rebuilding or they stink. (hah). is wrong. their numbers are down (basically a part of they do stink) but I don't think Rogers fully realised that if you can watch seven games at once - not everyone is going to watch the Leafs, vs. when it was CBC where you could ONLY watch the Leafs, unless you were in the region, people basically just watched.

and it's things like that that just make you sound like "uhhgh. duhgh."

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
I think fans have checked out ... 5 or 6 channels doesn't matter. I own a bar and when people would rather watch raptors or out of market games over our Leafs it tells me without a doubt the casual fan doesn't care.

Thanks man great message lots for us to work off.

McMatthews

Sep 12, 2007
I stopped listening when Matteo said he was a Leafs fan and didn't give a **** about watching players on other teams.

He then said, "I'm your average Leafs fan".

I'm die-hard but I can't listening to these guys. Bowen's son tries too hard to be Bryan Hayes.

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
Thanks a lot of your comments make sense. We appreciate the feed back .we certainly always have things to work on. But it's fun and like I did last year's I will start incorporating more and more info from you guys here on HF ..

thanks guys it's a Labour of love and your input is always appreciated and not taken lightly

I apologize - it is obviously a labour of love and my opinion means nothing more than anyone else's. Daisy Jane has a point, though - talking over each other and raising the decibel level makes for an experience that is more fanboy in nature and less intelligent and insightful. Sports talk radio often offers the same experience - getting louder seems to equate to a better discussion. Can we not get the equivalent to The Agenda with Steve Paikin on sports talk radio?

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
I apologize - it is obviously a labour of love and my opinion means nothing more than anyone else's. Daisy Jane has a point, though - talking over each other and raising the decibel level makes for an experience that is more fanboy in nature and less intelligent and insightful. Sports talk radio often offers the same experience - getting louder seems to equate to a better discussion. Can we not get the equivalent to The Agenda with Steve Paikin on sports talk radio?

No you are right. Obviously Bonsie is trained but I'm not. Sometimes it's just difficult to shut the hell up and wait when I feel I have the most important thing in the world to say. I m going to use these comments and pointers as much as I can going fforward. I would also like to ask a weekly question on HF and get some feed back that we can read out in the show. you guys know I think that the HF board guys probably know more about the team and disscuss every leaf angle more than anyone.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Two Things:

1. Thanks for the interactive nature of this thread - great to see a response from the peeps actually doing the show - cudos.

2. May I suggest some guest appearances by members of this boards - more to the point - PUT DAISY ON YOUR SHOW. I just learned a ton from her!

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
No you are right. Obviously Bonsie is trained but I'm not. Sometimes it's just difficult to shut the hell up and wait when I feel I have the most important thing in the world to say. I m going to use these comments and pointers as much as I can going fforward. I would also like to ask a weekly question on HF and get some feed back that we can read out in the show. you guys know I think that the HF board guys probably know more about the team and disscuss every leaf angle more than anyone.

Have you thought about having an HF board member on the show as part of a panel? You moderate, Sean Bowen can be one panelist, another can be from this board (there are no shortages of Leaf 'experts' here). Pick a topic, (ie, the most recent trade, the value of a late first rounder, the NHL potential of Leipsic, etc) and foment a debate. I nominate Daisy Jane as your first HF guest panelist.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
In the past we have interviewed Cox, Quinn, feschuck, Hayes , Bowen , Henny, Bester, and many many more. I would love to have Daisy on .. but don't be surprised if I Stump her with my Leafs Knowledge

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Ugh this again. I'd listen to give you a more accurate critique but I'm worried clicking the link might actually make you guys some money. ****ing amateur hour uninformed ****.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think fans have checked out ... 5 or 6 channels doesn't matter. I own a bar and when people would rather watch raptors or out of market games over our Leafs it tells me without a doubt the casual fan doesn't care.

Thanks man great message lots for us to work off.

that's the point.

there is the casual fan that goes. "meh" because there are now options (plus the Raptors are doing well). that option never used to exist.

you either had RDS (Montreal), or the Leafs. (and then the late game) and that was it. (and I don't go to bars, ever - so I'm not sure if people have gamecentre or whatever).

Now you have
a good raptors team
several games every night
vs. Bad Leafs team.

yes, the casual fan will chose to watch something else.
die-hard fans are even struggling. (but they still watch).

that's something I feel Rogers didn't anticipate. (and that was dumb on their part). the Leafs rebuilding and actually marketing it as such, should change, (especially if they are scrappy, and fight hard .. or heck, if they are a gong-show, people will HAVE to watch. how many people started tuning in when the Edmonton's 2nd 11 game losing streak hit like 7?)

[also - and this is just an FYI, because it sounds like Sean gets irritated everytime you do this. stop pushing the fact that Sean is Joe Bowen's kid. I heard the interview the two did on their podcast, and it's like - he wants to be his own person, just let it lie. if it comes up, it comes up).

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Two Things:

1. Thanks for the interactive nature of this thread - great to see a response from the peeps actually doing the show - cudos.

2. May I suggest some guest appearances by members of this boards - more to the point - PUT DAISY ON YOUR SHOW. I just learned a ton from her!

Have you thought about having an HF board member on the show as part of a panel? You moderate, Sean Bowen can be one panelist, another can be from this board (there are no shortages of Leaf 'experts' here). Pick a topic, (ie, the most recent trade, the value of a late first rounder, the NHL potential of Leipsic, etc) and foment a debate. I nominate Daisy Jane as your first HF guest panelist.

Hahaha

My money is on Daisy

:laugh: while y'all are sweet - i don't know as much as y'all think I do. (goggle is my friend). as well, as they record the show far, far away from where I live and I don't drive, so there's that. if they ever want to do a phone thing, I could do that for the 1/2 hour though, I don't mind, and i"m only a private msg. away.

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
:laugh: while y'all are sweet - i don't know as much as y'all think I do. (goggle is my friend). as well, as they record the show far, far away from where I live and I don't drive, so there's that. if they ever want to do a phone thing, I could do that for the 1/2 hour though, I don't mind, and i"m only a private msg. away.

Phone lines will be set up over the next few weeks but I would like to have you on live so others can call in and chat with us

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
that's the point.

there is the casual fan that goes. "meh" because there are now options (plus the Raptors are doing well). that option never used to exist.

you either had RDS (Montreal), or the Leafs. (and then the late game) and that was it. (and I don't go to bars, ever - so I'm not sure if people have gamecentre or whatever).

Now you have
a good raptors team
several games every night
vs. Bad Leafs team.

yes, the casual fan will chose to watch something else.
die-hard fans are even struggling. (but they still watch).

that's something I feel Rogers didn't anticipate. (and that was dumb on their part). the Leafs rebuilding and actually marketing it as such, should change, (especially if they are scrappy, and fight hard .. or heck, if they are a gong-show, people will HAVE to watch. how many people started tuning in when the Edmonton's 2nd 11 game losing streak hit like 7?)

[also - and this is just an FYI, because it sounds like Sean gets irritated everytime you do this. stop pushing the fact that Sean is Joe Bowen's kid. I heard the interview the two did on their podcast, and it's like - he wants to be his own person, just let it lie. if it comes up, it comes up).

The casual fan is easily captivated by the #leafs IMO when the headlines reflect success, excitment and hope, people flock to this team. The inability of the Leafs to ccaptivate the audience is more a reflection on their continued lack of success rather than the addition of channels

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
The casual fan is easily captivated by the #leafs IMO when the headlines reflect success, excitment and hope, people flock to this team. The inability of the Leafs to ccaptivate the audience is more a reflection on their continued lack of success rather than the addition of channels

I agree. It's not the greater number of options leading to the decline of Leaf followers in the mainstream media. It's the years of ineptitude and changing demographics. When the Leafs made it into the playoffs in the lockout year, I observed a marked increase in interest amongst Torontonians in general, from younger to older and from native-born to foreign-born. It's now become easier to disassociate from the Leafs in a market with more options for sports fans (Raptors, TFC) but this is still first and foremost a hockey (ie Leafs) market.

Durkin67

Phone lines will be set up over the next few weeks but I would like to have you on live so others can call in and chat with us

Make sure you announce it in advance. I'll tune in from Africa. Always find Daisy's POV refreshing and well articulated. Why isn't she writing for you Matteo?

Last edited by a moderator:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have to agree with what most have said....talking over each other and getting louder sounds like what happens in my living-room when I have some friends over to watch a game.

I will listen to most anything that discuss the Leafs as I'm a huge fan and have been for over 50 years (boy I'm I old). I can only take so much of people talking about nonsense, there has to be content that is based on reality and not just what is out in the media. The content of any good sports radio show needs to based on both opinion and facts.

Be progressive break down details that an average hockey fan would miss and discuss the affects that they have on the teams success.

Keep the buzz words to a bare minimum and concentrate on the dialogue that will peak interest in the listeners.

Good Luck

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009

like i said - find a way for me to get there, and i'm more than willing. :)

Make sure you announce it in advance. I'll tune in from Africa. Always find Daisy's POV refreshing and well articulated. Why isn't she writing for you Matteo?

thanks that's sweet :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad