Sportsnet: Leafs still in on Tyler Bozak, likely plan B if Tavares doesn't come to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Tells you the kind of UFA crop we're dealing with this year. And I'd bet Bozak is getting calls from a ton of other teams about bigger roles and more money.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Yeah this sucks we should get McDavid instead. :rolleyes:

If we don't get Tavares and Bozak will come back on the cheap, bringing him back is a no-brainer. We only have 2 centers at the moment.

Or, you know...we could move Nylander to C.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
hes a terrible center .... why do ppl keep suggesting this ?

That's not entirely true. They don't think he's defensively responsible enough to play center. Babs insists on strong 2-way play from his centres.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Or move Kadri out if we ink JT and TB.

Of course, Pookie finds a way to say that this is the perfect opportunity to trade Kadri, just like every other moment in the past few years.

No, you keep the 30 goal scoring two-way center and let Bozak walk... Obviously.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tells you the kind of UFA crop we're dealing with this year. And I'd bet Bozak is getting calls from a ton of other teams about bigger roles and more money.
I hope so, anything to keep him from coming back is a good thing imo.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Or move Kadri out if we ink JT and TB.

If there is a gap on the market in terms of Centers, that’s a great time to parlay for something you also need... Defense.
This is inspiring. Never give up on your dreams Pookie!

Reactions: Volcanologist

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Give me 4 top quality two way Cmen and I don't care who the wingers are. Obviously the top 3 lines need a real player at wing, ideally opposite handedness to the C for the easy passes and strong side tap in potential. Bozak isn't that.

JT
Matthews
Kadri

Looks good. ;)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
On one level its is a bit suspect because it was reported that the Leafs didn’t make any offer to Bozak over the course of the season.

The other problem is term, Bozak camp will want it, leafs wont want to to give it. I wonder if he could be interested in a 2 year higher AAV typendeal ( maybe 5-6 mil), because I had figured he’d get a 5 year 4 mil offer from some other team

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Bozaks good with the right line mates.

It became obvious JVR wasn’t that at 5v5.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
more than half the league can use a center, especially the young teams that are getting good and have a lot of cap space

and theres like only a couple in free agency you can bid on, you can count them on a few fingers that can still play some and put up some points, bozak and stastny are getting 4-5 years from some team

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
This makes sense. If the Leafs don't land Tavares (which is the more likely outcome), then they need a centre. Bozak as your #3C is better than most teams in the NHL. A lot of people don't like him not because of his own play, but because of how he has been used. He's often been put in a top-line position when he is ideally not that, frequently out of necessity until perhaps the last season or two.

I think that Nylander can play C, but if the Leafs aren't willing to do that, they need a centre whether we agree with that decision or not. Most other options will not be as good as Bozak. That said, the contract terms will make a big difference on how I feel about it if it happens.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
Give me 4 top quality two way Cmen and I don't care who the wingers are. Obviously the top 3 lines need a real player at wing, ideally opposite handedness to the C for the easy passes and strong side tap in potential. Bozak isn't that.

JT
Matthews
Kadri

Looks good. ;)

Matthews is still the #1 centre. He's a better player than JT right now and rising.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
Bozak's numbers are inflated because he was on a high scoring team. He won't be on the #1 powerplay wherever he goes. I think he's a 30-35 point guy on most teams. That's not worth 3 years and say 16M. Some foolish team is going to offer him 5.3M a year (x4)=21.2M

Yup. I'd be just fine with Bozak being back on a 2-3 year deal. But you just know some other team is going to pay more. I mean look at what happened with Dave Bolland. He got a 5.5x5 contract despite only breaking 40 points once in a season. Florida ponied up a lot of money and term for a guy who missed almost 3/4 of a season with a very serious injury to boot. You just know some GM out there is going to throw $5m at him. Possibly even more than that (depending on the term).

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
On one level its is a bit suspect because it was reported that the Leafs didn’t make any offer to Bozak over the course of the season.

The other problem is term, Bozak camp will want it, leafs wont want to to give it. I wonder if he could be interested in a 2 year higher AAV typendeal ( maybe 5-6 mil), because I had figured he’d get a 5 year 4 mil offer from some other team

Wait, so you want Bozak back at 6 million? I admit that he's not the worst option for a 3C but 6 million is wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad