Proposal: Leafs/Stars Part 2

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
We us you have a lot of cap space stars fans but it's not gonna stay that way, eventually you have to look at your d core and having 10 million tied up in goalies is going to hurt

Buyouts exist. Worst case scenario we use one next summer and still don't have any cap problems because we have ~15m coming off the books and Jamie Benn won't cost 20m.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
That may be true, but i doubt the Stars are going to carry 3 goalies with a cap hit of 16.35 million.....i could be wrong though...

We won't of course but we could which is why proposals that give us no benefit other than cap space aren't going to be met well.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
We won't of course but we could which is why proposals that give us no benefit other than cap space aren't going to be met well.

While i agree, Kari...and to a point Niemi don't hold alot of value to other teams...so the only benefit may be cap relief.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We us you have a lot of cap space stars fans but it's not gonna stay that way, eventually you have to look at your d core and having 10 million tied up in goalies is going to hurt

For two years. That's manageable.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hemsky scored 13 goals last year I doubt he makes or breaks this trade. Plus a healthy Lupul is the best player in this deal.

I didn't see one of those offered in your deal. What a stupid stat to base an argument on by the way. Hemsky's always been a playmaker and when's the last time Lupul got 13 goals in a season?

We're going to spend that money on goaltending no matter what. If it's 7m for Bishop we'll spend the other 3m on a 1B who can start 35 games.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I didn't see one of those offered in your deal. What a stupid stat to base an argument on by the way. Hemsky's always been a playmaker and when's the last time Lupul got 13 goals in a season?

We're going to spend that money on goaltending no matter what. If it's 7m for Bishop we'll spend the other 3m on a 1B who can start 35 games.

Lol...he scored 11.....last season...while missing 36 games.....(and i am in no way pushing this deal...just saying that's a poor argument)

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
If you still have cap space available then LTIR is worth nothing so actually no. LTIR isn't free money. There's a required process to follow.

Once the season begins we can place Horton and Robidas on LTIR which will give us roughly 8 million extra dollars in cap space. Not free money but free cap space.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Lol...he scored 11.....last season...while missing 36 games.....(and i am in no way pushing this deal...just saying that's a poor argument)

So Lupul had fewer goals than noted pass first, pass second, and pass third Ales Hemsky?

Just to be clear, in argument strength terms, you are putting "Hemsky only had 13 goals" ahead of "13 goals is more than Lupul has had in either of the past 2 seasons"? It seems like a crazy call to make because the first uses a raw number that is immediately undercut by it's own counter example, while mine offered you a trap with you immediately walked into by bringing up Lupul's innability to stay healthy.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I would do the deal from a Toronto perspective.

Sure you tie up $9.5 million in goalies for 2 years but you get ride of Lupul's 2 years left and after next season when Hemsky is off the books you open up that extra forward spot to a deserving Marlie.

You gain one extra forward spot this year with Greening moved.

Neimi can be exposed in the expansion draft and if he is taken even better.

Hemsky can be moved at the deadline for a pick.

Exactly. Shifting the Lupul contract to a backup kills two birds with one stone.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
So Lupul had fewer goals than noted pass first, pass second, and pass third Ales Hemsky?

Just to be clear, in argument strength terms, you are putting "Hemsky only had 13 goals" ahead of "13 goals is more than Lupul has had in either of the past 2 seasons"? It seems like a crazy call to make because the first uses a raw number that is immediately undercut by it's own counter example, while mine offered you a trap with you immediately walked into by bringing up Lupul's innability to stay healthy.

I'm not arguing at all, i have no interest in the OP as i don't want an expensive backup. I also don't think Dallas has any desire to do this deal. I never once said "Hemsky only had 13 goals" in any context what so ever, you asked when the last time Lupul scored 13 goals was, i pointed out that last season he scored 11 in 46 games.....that's all.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I'm not arguing at all, i have no interest in the OP as i don't want an expensive backup. I also don't think Dallas has any desire to do this deal. I never once said "Hemsky only had 13 goals" in any context what so ever, you asked when the last time Lupul scored 13 goals was, i pointed out that last season he scored 11 in 46 games.....that's all.

I know you didn't make that argument initially. What I am saying is that he didn't get to 13 goals in 15-16 nor did he get there in 14-15.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Once the season begins we can place Horton and Robidas on LTIR which will give us roughly 8 million extra dollars in cap space. Not free money but free cap space.

If your team does not spend to/over the cap then extra LTIR cap space is worthless. You don't gain anything by having 20m free vs 2m free. Which goes back to my original point which is that the Stars don't need more cap space because they will not spend to the cap.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Although I wouldn't be mad if this deal happened, I'd personally pass.

Call me crazy, but I actually really liked what Greening brought last season and I'm sure we'll find a way to put Lupul on Robidas island or something.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
pass leafs can just make lupul disappear like Robidas did. Colon greening is on his final year of his contract and may as well just trade him at the deadline for a 4th. Hemsky just gets in the way of Marner and Conner Brown. ALso why take Niemi at that price when we can sign Enroth to a one year deal and just see how things go. Counter Productive Trade we're trying to move contracts not gain them. Also Why the hell do the leafs want to spend 9 million in net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad