Nov 23, 2015
Fresh start for everyone involved.

:leafs
RW - Hemsky, Ales - $4,000,000
G - Niemi, Antti - $4,500,000 $4,500,000

:stars
RW - Lupul, Joffrey - $5,250,000 $5,250,000
LW - Greening, Colin - $2,650,000

• Leafs acquire an experienced backup. Lupul isn't benched for two seasons.
  • Stars open up a goaltending spot for Bishop & save 600K

willyjones

May 30, 2013
First thought as a leaf fan is why not?? Hemsky on the right side can play some decent minutes and niemi is more then capable of playing 20 plus games if need be.. then I start thinking leafs just traded Bernier because he had cap hit of 4 mil plus the fact I don't think this new coach and management team want anything to do with a goal tending controversy like in the past for several years. Then a part of me thinks lou wants to ban lupul to his island, but lupul is to much of a media presence that it could cause an issue for lou, and that might entice him to make a deal like this just to get lupul gone. Greening was useful last year rather see Michalek traded, but his cap hit is more...

All in all not a bad proposal, good one op

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Actually a decent deal if you ask me. Toronto needs a good experienced backup which is what Niemi is. Hemsky can provide veteran leadership as well.

chatty4756

Apr 6, 2016
The deal isnt bad except im not interested in tying up 10 million for our goaltending plus if we are taking on a bit extra cap then i would like a draft pick too. Still think dallas wins this deal. They clear a goalie spot for bishop and are able to put lupul on long term reserve for more cap space

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Hemsky was actually useful for a good chunk of the year.

I'd probably say no, unless this is the only way acquiring Bishop is possible. That seems unlikely to me, though. Niemi's not good, but at <3M, he's a decent, experienced back-up. Someone might have interest in that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Certainly not a bad proposal.

First question I ask -- is from a Leaf perspective, do they trade Lupul for Niemi?

I think at face value, that's an easy yes. The Leafs likely don't want want Lupul around, and Niemi should be more than a servicable backup, albeit expensive for that position.

However, when you hear the language about Lou wanting a true backup, and consider Niemi has played 47, 61, 64, 43 (lockout), 68, and 60 games in the last 6 seasons; it simply may not jive. That is anything but "backup" workload and Toronto doesn't want a goalie controversy.

The second question I ask -- premised on the answer to #1 being yes, is does either team actually want to make a Greening/Hemsky swap? Seems like the Leafs actually like Greening, and that he'd be a logical fit around a plethora of skilled young forwards.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010

Sign me up. :yo:

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I would do the deal from a Toronto perspective.

Sure you tie up $9.5 million in goalies for 2 years but you get ride of Lupul's 2 years left and after next season when Hemsky is off the books you open up that extra forward spot to a deserving Marlie.

You gain one extra forward spot this year with Greening moved.

Neimi can be exposed in the expansion draft and if he is taken even better.

Hemsky can be moved at the deadline for a pick.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I'd do it.

Lupul when healthy would be welcomed in Dallas I'm sure, and Greening had a good showing at the end of last season.

I only see Dallas doing this if they have a deal for Bishop on lockdown

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
With our luck Lupul would finally stay healthy and return to 70pt form with Spezza while leading them in points during the playoffs. I'd still do it though. We have a number or high end prospects on the wing.

Any chance we could get something other than Hemsky though? I'd really prefer not to add another winger for the reasons previously stated.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hemsky is the best piece there by a mile. No interest.

If we had a deal for Bishop in place, the only trade with Toronto that would make sense for us is Lupul for Kari.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I understand the moving pieces, and the desire to move Lupul's cap, but I don't understand the desire to take on an expensive backup....we just gave 1 away. Lou has already "hinted" that Lupul may be LTIR...and if not, he is a servicable winger. We just need to sign Enroth...backup goalie issue solved.

And to the poster who said if they need to make a deal to acquire Bishop...no thanks to Kari for Lupul, you can solve you goalie cap issues elsewhere.

buttman*

Colin Greening is the best player in this trade. Hehe.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
I understand the moving pieces, and the desire to move Lupul's cap, but I don't understand the desire to take on an expensive backup....we just gave 1 away. Lou has already "hinted" that Lupul may be LTIR...and if not, he is a servicable winger. We just need to sign Enroth...backup goalie issue solved.

And to the poster who said if they need to make a deal to acquire Bishop...no thanks to Kari for Lupul, you can solve you goalie cap issues elsewhere.

No real issue there. Could fit all three with the cap space left.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
The Stars already have more free cap space than the Leafs so why would we trade a useful player to clear cap space we don't need ? Technically the Stars could acquire Bishop for purely futures today without moving one of Niemi and Lehtonen and have 15m tied up in goaltending. That's how much cap space we have.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Hemsky is the best piece there by a mile. No interest.

If we had a deal for Bishop in place, the only trade with Toronto that would make sense for us is Lupul for Kari.

Hemsky scored 13 goals last year I doubt he makes or breaks this trade. Plus a healthy Lupul is the best player in this deal.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The Stars already have more free cap space than the Leafs so why would we trade a useful player to clear cap space we don't need ? Technically the Stars could acquire Bishop for purely futures today without moving one of Niemi and Lehtonen and have 15m tied up in goaltending. That's how much cap space we have.

Theoretically when you add in the LTIR money the Leafs have more cap space.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
We us you have a lot of cap space stars fans but it's not gonna stay that way, eventually you have to look at your d core and having 10 million tied up in goalies is going to hurt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad