Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign William Villeneuve to 3 year ELC.

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
did covid screw with the rules ?
i think hes forced to play in the Q this year.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
did covid screw with the rules ?
i think hes forced to play in the Q this year.

No. He's a 2002 we drafted, so he goes to the Sea Dogs. No different than when we signed SDA out of camp a few years ago.
Yes, he is forced to go to the Q, which is better for him anyways. Major log jam on the Marlies as it is, and will be next year too when he is eligible to play on the Marlies.

So his contract slides if he plays in the Q correct?

Yes.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Good for him he had a good rookie tournament.

I actually found it to be quite inconsistent. Not much unlike his year in the QMJHL. However, I think the main thing the Leafs wanted to see out of Villeneuve was some major improvement on his skating, which would have been the reason he would not have earned an ELC, and his skating did look better. Still not amazing, but enough for him to earn an ELC and continue his development on the Marlies starting next year.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
This isn't that surprising, even though he hasn't been a standout. He's a relatively high pick who has had good junior success and he looked good relative to his teammates in the rookie tournament. He would have had to have been signed by seasons end anyway. They must have seen enough at the rookie tourney to commit to him early.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
No. He's a 2002 we drafted, so he goes to the Sea Dogs. No different than when we signed SDA out of camp a few years ago.
Yes, he is forced to go to the Q, which is better for him anyways. Major log jam on the Marlies as it is, and will be next year too when he is eligible to play on the Marlies.

Yes.
Thank you @SeaOfBlue, that's what I wanted to hear!

Reactions: SeaOfBlue

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Nice. I get a good vibe from this dude.
Shoukd expect more D pick signings before the year is out and a nicely reshaped D for the Marlies in ‘22.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Can't say I expected this. I liked the pick and I like the player. Just with the off year he had last year I expected they'd wait to see how he performed this year before signing him. Don't mind it though.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Can't say I expected this. I liked the pick and I like the player. Just with the off year he had last year I expected they'd wait to see how he performed this year before signing him. Don't mind it though.

He played 39 Q games last year (including playoffs) and 2 ahl games

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Definitely earned with a standout rookie tournament. Nice solid frame and lots of poise and skill with the puck.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I have never watched him play but I think I’ve read that his issue is on the defensive side of the game? Correct me if I’m wrong.

how has he looked defensively this year?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I have never watched him play but I think I’ve read that his issue is on the defensive side of the game? Correct me if I’m wrong.

how has he looked defensively this year?

originally was slated as an offensive guy but had made strides to improve his defensive game. His offensive numbers have dropped because he’s actively been focusing on playing better defense.

he still moves the puck very well though, he’ll need some pro time with the Marlies but he does track to be an NHL’er.

he did fall a bit in his draft year. He was supposed to go higher but ended up being a quality pick for the leafs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We are spending too much time on skill .. we need to focus development of guys who are big and can fly .. we have enough skill on team now

kb

Aug 28, 2009
We are spending too much time on skill .. we need to focus development of guys who are big and can fly .. we have enough skill on team now
It's not like they have been avoiding those kinds of players.

Remember the years and years of zero draft success because of the fascination with size? And especially a big guy with some skill who can fly, they go in (or close to) top 5 or 10 overall in a draft. Look at Ritchie, Crouse, etc......

Size is a horribly overrated attribute to draft for on it's own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad