Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Simon Benoit to 3 year extension -- 1.35M AAV

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
At 29? No he's not that's extremely unrealistic

28/29 is where defenceman generally start to peak (especially in their own end). Getting a 29 y/o for three years would be ideal. After age 33, it gets kind of dicey, but before that, you "should" be ok. Of course all of this is my years of personal observations, YMMV

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Same as Reavo, wonder if they are expecting that to be the buriable amount soon.

At any rate what a great signing, both Benny and McMann. Seems small but these are so important for us. Feels like we are patiently building a team the right way.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Same as Reavo, wonder if they are expecting that to be the buriable amount soon.

At any rate what a great signing, both Benny and McMann. Seems small but these are so important for us. Feels like we are patiently building a team the right way.
100%. Under Dubass we saw the bottom six CONSTANTLY have major turnover every summer. It’s like he didn’t realize how important it is to actually have some consistency throughout the entire lineup and not just the core four + Rielly…

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Though I'd take a good look at mccabe with rielly for a spell
I like the idea of playing a physical defenseman with Rielly but McCabe is not exactly a stay at home defenseman. He likes to step up and gambles a lot which I’m not sure is the ideal partner for the team’s best rushing Dman. The truth is Rielly shouldn’t be playing on a shutdown pair and needs to be matched against second or third lines.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
I like the idea of playing a physical defenseman with Rielly but McCabe is not exactly a stay at home defenseman. He likes to step up and gambles a lot which I’m not sure is the ideal partner for the team’s best rushing Dman. The truth is Rielly shouldn’t be playing on a shutdown pair and needs to be matched against second or third lines.
We need him to tilt the ice no matter who he plays against he's our number 1 d so I find it hard to agree with that...would be different if we had a muzzin but we don't and I think him and mccabe can do just that it also changes the mindset of the additions we need since we're tight to the cap next year

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Though I'd take a good look at mccabe with rielly for a spell
Definitely not against that. I thought they looked really good together a few games ago. Both can pinch in on their off sides when needed and that flexibility allowed them to really work off one another. With more playing time together, their chemistry would only get better.

Before we acquired McCabe, I was really pushing for him in the trades thread to pair with Rielly. If he can focus more on defence, his playing style would fit what we’d want next to Rielly.

Reactions: arso40

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
Rielly (7M) - XXX
Edmundson (1M) - Liljegren (1.5M)
Benoit (1.3M) - McCabe (2M)

That's a pretty decent D core at a very cheap price. Gives a lot of money to acquire a true top pairing RD this off season...

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Rielly (7M) - XXX
Edmundson (1M) - Liljegren (1.5M)
Benoit (1.3M) - McCabe (2M)

That's a pretty decent D core at a very cheap price. Gives a lot of money to acquire a true top pairing RD this off season...
You’re not re-signing Edmundson for only 1 million.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
At 29? No he's not that's extremely unrealistic

I'd MUCH rather have Zadorov over Demelo any day, I've always felt Demelo was over rated.
This is a failpost from A to Z.

Pesce has been declining - lowest point total of his career, and second lowest TOI. Perhaps looking into players performances before posting might be the smart play here before doubling down on showing your lack of knowledge?

Tripling down by adding Zadorov -whose claim to fame is looking for the big hits while hanging his partner out to dry every time - even worse than the Pesce take.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Whether he is benched or not for he start of this year's playoffs should have no effect on whether a deal that starts next season is a good piece of business.
Interesting point that I’ve thought of before. For myself, once a contract is signed that is the value I assign to a player. Nylander, for example, is now a 11 m player and will be judged as such.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad