Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Simon Benoit to 3 year extension -- 1.35M AAV

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
True and I love finally having some snarl on every pair. Any team that goes deep in the playoffs has that element and we have never really had it.

BUT, I don't have the stats (or where to find it maybe someone knows) but it seems we've been in the bottom third in the league in offense from the D for a few years now at least. Other than Reilly, McCabe has 7 goals which is decent, but only 25 points in 65 games. We definitely could use some offense back there as well.
offense is a added bonus, but not at the cost of defensive inability imo, even Rielly is a defensive cluster f**k in his own end, can't afford any other defensive misfits like Brodie going forward..........

The target should be Brett Pesce
already in decline, big pass.........

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Isnt Matt Roy basically a bit worse TJ brodie when we first got him?

Would be a decent add for 2-3 years but afterwards dont think he will age well.
He's better than Brodie imo, a smooth skating defensive defenseman who can move the puck better than Brodie was able to do

But also, getting another TJ Brodie isn't a bad thing. He was one of the best defensive defenseman in the league for the last few seasons before his sharp decline

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

giphy.gif

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
The target should be Brett Pesce
I like Roy and I like Pesce, but I think DeMelo can be a great partner for Rielly at a lower cost than both the others would come for.

Would love to add DeMelo and Roy to our RHD but I recognize that’s a pipe dream.

Happy to come up with either of those 3, and stay the hell away from Zadorov.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
offense is a added bonus, but not at the cost of defensive inability imo, even Rielly is a defensive cluster f**k in his own end, can't afford any other defensive misfits like Brodie going forward..........

already in decline, big pass.........

At 29? No he's not that's extremely unrealistic

I like Roy and I like Pesce, but I think DeMelo can be a great partner for Rielly at a lower cost than both the others would come for.

Would love to add DeMelo and Roy to our RHD but I recognize that’s a pipe dream.

Happy to come up with either of those 3, and stay the hell away from Zadorov.

I'd MUCH rather have Zadorov over Demelo any day, I've always felt Demelo was over rated.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Impossible to find a negative with this deal.

Also nice to get as much RFA business out of the way as possible. Cost certainty helps planning.

Reactions: Confucius

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
This guy is a stud. Worth every penny.
Agreed. At his age, I'd have locked him in for 8 years and a bit more money if he would bite lol This guy is super likeable all the way around. On and off the ice. Plays hard. Hate seeing him get benched. Hope Brodie is benched instead for game 1 of the playoffs.

Awesome. Great news!

If anybody is willing to take a deal to stay it might be him. Or maybe I’ve got my head up my ass lol
I'd agree with you. I think he would take 3 mil again and term...like 5 years. That said, I could also have my head up my ass lol

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
very pleasantly surprised we got him at that price for 3 yrs

good job Tre

Reactions: bax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad