Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign Simon Benoit to 3 year extension -- 1.35M AAV

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
His agent posted one social media that Leafs fans will love him (this was when the Flames were looking to trade him earlier in the year).

Seems as if mutual interest is strong
Interesting. That reads to me as Zadarov, at the time, was probably willing to come to Toronto for the remainder of this season and that his agent thought it was a good idea to say that Leafs fans would love him.

Willing to come to Toronto last fall for the remainder of one season and wanting to sign a free agent deal in Toronto in June are two different things.

Now, it is very possible that Zadarov may want to sign in Toronto, but I'm not sure we can assume that from the agent's tweet. Then, of course, there's the matter of whether he's willing to sign at a rid Toronto is willingly no to pay.

Reactions: Menzinger

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
But he is currently at 875k, and that’s 50% from the Caps

1711805793712.png

Reactions: Gabriel426

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
His agent posted one social media that Leafs fans will love him (this was when the Flames were looking to trade him earlier in the year).

Seems as if mutual interest is strong
at 2-3M, maybe, anythibg over this is already too much for him

and if Holl was able to sign at 3.5M, its pretty hard to thibk he will get less than 3.5M... 3.5 to 4.5M will probably be his range and hes way too much for a 3rd pair physical dmab who maybe a 4th D at best.

Benoit is a great deal low cost for third pairing quality dmen

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Interesting point that I’ve thought of before. For myself, once a contract is signed that is the value I assign to a player. Nylander, for example, is now a 11 m player and will be judged as such.

Yes, that seems to happen with people.

That's a reasonable expectation, that the player's contract should reflect his value.

It is incorrect if you're looking at what he's actually being paid.

He has no claim to that money today, and his cost for current production is the amount of his current contract, not a future contract that isn't 100% guaranteed. (We discuss life events where none of that money is earned.)

But this hair splitting brings to mind signing bonuses.

When do they get their signing bonus, if they've already signed?

Do they get them at signing, or on July 1st. (or other negotiated date)?

Last edited:
Reactions: arso40

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Best deal so far I have seen our Leaf's sign in past 10 years .. young D with plenty of more upside potential .. omg I still can't believe it got done .. well done Tre .. finally a guy who puts TEAM first .. unlike core 4 .. D always are TEAM leaders so I guess I shouldn't be surprised

Reactions: ACC1224 and Ports

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
He's currently at $3.5 million AAV. Someone will pay him that (or more) with the cap jumping up.
He's not the same player he was when he signed his 3.5M aav deal lol - but let's see what he gets, never know

Reactions: kb

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
We need him to tilt the ice no matter who he plays against he's our number 1 d so I find it hard to agree with that...would be different if we had a muzzin but we don't and I think him and mccabe can do just that it also changes the mindset of the additions we need since we're tight to the cap next year
Th problem is tilting the ice is like a teeter totter, it can both ways. Leafs issues are mostly related to making defensive mistakes. Trying to make Rielly into Bobby Orr is unrealistic. He’s not good defensively and played better in the playoffs with a strong defender like Luke Schenn than he’s ever played before.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Same as Reavo, wonder if they are expecting that to be the buriable amount soon.

At any rate what a great signing, both Benny and McMann. Seems small but these are so important for us. Feels like we are patiently building a team the right way.
The team seems much more stable under Treliving whose philosophy is to build a bigger, more physical team that is tougher to play against to augment and protect their offensively skilled players. Signing players before the playoffs shows them that they are valued members of the team and gives them confidence to go out and perform to the best of their abilities.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Th problem is tilting the ice is like a teeter totter, it can both ways. Leafs issues are mostly related to making defensive mistakes. Trying to make Rielly into Bobby Orr is unrealistic. He’s not good defensively and played better in the playoffs with a strong defender like Luke Schenn than he’s ever played before.
Recency bias whos to say he doesn't turn it up this year even more with mccabe only time can actually tell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad