Leafs sign Ryan Rupert to ELC

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
Leafs have signed Ryan Rupert to an entry level contract

Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs 43s
. @SportChek Player Alert: The #Leafs have signed Ryan Rupert to an entry level contract #TMLtalk

Who's this guy...

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Toronto Maple Leafs ‏@MapleLeafs 43s
. @SportChek Player Alert: The #Leafs have signed Ryan Rupert to an entry level contract http://*******/1iAFSMf #TMLtalk

Who's this guy...

Drafted in the 6th round in 2012.

I'm not sure about his NHL upside but he's got interesting potential. He's a pest player that has some skill to his game. He's not tall at 5'10" but has a bulldog frame.

He'll provide the Marlies with solid depth for the time being though. I think he can contribute nicely for them over the years in a checking/energy role.

Matt Rupert, his brother, is likely to sign with us as well since he was undrafted. He was invited to the rookie camp 2 years in a row. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
He is on the London Knights, him and his brother play a mean type hockey game with a strong forecheck and presence around the net. He plays a two way game as well. He was their 6th round draft pick in 2012, 157th overall. Bottom 6 potential.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Brings some scoring, is an excellent pest, well liked by teammates, good defensively and never gives up on the play. Glad to have him aboard.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012

I'm not sure about his NHL upside but he's got interesting potential. He's a pest player that has some skill to his game. He's not tall at 5'10" but has a bulldog frame.

He'll provide the Marlies with solid depth for the time being though. I think he can contribute nicely for them over the years in a checking/energy role.

Matt Rupert, his brother, is likely to sign with us as well since he was undrafted. He was invited to the rookie camp 2 years in a row. I'd be pretty surprised if he doesn't.

The two of them have been terrors for the Knights for a few years now. If anyone touches the other one or anyone on the team they have to answer to these guys. Not always by fighting but they take numbers and hit hard and often.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

We still have some of our own prospects to sign first dont we?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

More 4th line guys to go with the the excess of 4th lines guys we already have

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We still have some of our own prospects to sign first dont we?

Not really. The only prospect left to sign before the deadline before we lose his rights would be Loov, but I'm not sure if we would since he's in Sweden.

We either have all of our prospects signed or are still property of the Leafs for one more season.

AJ93

May 8, 2002

I think he's still eligible for this upcoming draft.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
More 4th line guys to go with the the excess of 4th lines guys we already have

That's irrelevant really.

A 6th round pick has shown good potential and has had a very good CHL career thus far. You don't let them walk because they don't have top line potential.

Prospects have different roles to fill. If we had the NHL version of Rupert this year, we would be in love with him. I guess his NHL equivalent would be someone like Komarov really.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
That's irrelevant really.

A 6th round pick has shown good potential and has had a very good CHL career thus far. You don't let them walk because they don't have top line potential.

Prospects have different roles to fill. If we had the NHL version of Rupert this year, we would be in love with him. I guess that would his equivalent would be someone like Komarov really.

I wasn't talking about the guy we picked I was talking about signing the guy no one did

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Love Love Love Love this kid.

Definitley could be a 3rd/4th line player for us in the future. Definite NHL upside.

Pest player but has skill as well. The Ruperts are loved in London as I have found out talking to people at games this year

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
From what i've seen he's basically Zac Rinaldo except he can actually play hockey. Hopefully he doesn't go the way of Brad Ross, could be a decent NHLer

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
What is it I don't know about this guy that's causing the excitement?

Brad Ross was a similar and far superior junior player and he's all but done as a prospect after just 2 years in the AHL.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
You can't be serious. He is nowhere near as skilled as Marchand

He's in between a Rinaldo/Marchand kind of player. His offensive ability is a lot higher than Rinaldo.. Rupert literally is the jack of all trades, he can score, hit, pass, and play a stellar defensive game.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

didn't he get a 15 game suspension for doing something stupid

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
He's in between a Rinaldo/Marchand kind of player. His offensive ability is a lot higher than Rinaldo.. Rupert literally is the jack of all trades, he can score, hit, pass, and play a stellar defensive game.

He's a pest like both, but skill wise he can't hold Marchand's jock. There's a huge difference between being on a stacked junior team and doing it in the NHL. Wishful thinking

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
I've heard he and his brother play a pretty mean style of hockey but manages to be more useful beyond smashing bodies. He should be a good addition to the Marlies and hopefully he develops into a bottom 6 player for the Leafs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad