Confirmed with Link: Leafs sign RHD John Klingberg (1 year, $4.15M) | UPD 11/23: LTIR

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

What does Klingberg going on LTIR mean for the Toronto Maple Leafs? | OverDrive

November 23, 2023

Bryan Hayes, Jeff O’Neill and Jamie McLennan discuss John Klingberg’s injury and the Toronto Maple Leafs placing him on LTIR and what it means big picture for the team going forward.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
FB_IMG_1700790028879.jpg

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Personally I'd feel safer taking the boat to Robidas Island than taking a trans-Atlantic flight on Robidas Airlines.

people-and-animals-falling-out-of-an-airplane-gopro-v0-92gwvoll89sb1.jpg

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I thought he played well at times.

Liked his decision making and non-panic in the D-Zone.

If he's been fighting this for some time and trying to play through it.

Had injury problems for a few years, maybe it really is past / way past best before date.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I thought he played well at times.

Liked his decision making and non-panic in the D-Zone.

If he's been fighting this for some time and trying to play through it.

Had injury problems for a few years, maybe it really is past / way past best before date.
I agree. I think some HFleaf fans are taking some kind of satisfaction with Klingberg and his condition.

I never played pro sports, but I hated having to take significant time away because of back pain or a hamstring injury. You think maybe it will heal, but sometimes it never changes.

I feel for him and Reaves too. It's never easy to stop playing, or when you're forced to stop. Your health is far more valuable than a 4.1 million dollar contract.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I agree. I think some HFleaf fans are taking some kind of satisfaction with Klingberg and his condition.

I never played pro sports, but I hated having to take significant time away because of back pain or a hamstring injury. You think maybe it will heal, but sometimes it never changes.

I feel for him and Reaves too. It's never easy to stop playing, or when you're forced to stop. Your health is far more valuable than a 4.1 million dollar contract.

"Fans" can be mindless ass hats at times. They treat athletes like they are characters in a video game. you think about them as a person, what they are might be going through, it gives context just how incredible it is to be a pro athlete, with all the human drama, plus play in front of 15k bosses that fairly/unfairly judge you each night.

After hearing what Brodie's wife is going through and and how he continues to play at a high level, I'm reserving my vitriol for only Keefe :) .

I think Klingberg turned down a $50 mil contract with Dallas and now his career might be over. Imagine what is going through his mind.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Klingberg turned down a $50 mil contract with Dallas and now his career might be over. Imagine what is going through his mind.

Hopefully, he hasn't been an idiot with the $38mm he's earned.

He is "only" 31, perhaps he can return.

If he considers Sweden home, maybe he could play at home next year?

Yes, they are people ...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Hopefully, he hasn't been an idiot with the $38mm he's earned.

He is "only" 31, perhaps he can return.

If he considers Sweden home, maybe he could play at home next year?

Yes, they are people ...
For much of the year, it was made apparent that John Klingberg had been playing through an undisclosed injury in an attempt to try to both manage the injury and continue to play hockey. However, following a game against the Vancouver Canucks 2 weeks ago, Klingberg had ceased practicing and playing, missing both games in Sweden at last weekend's Global Series.

TSN's Mike Johnson created a bit of a stir this week when he confirmed that he had seen Klingberg up close and in person and that Klingberg had been labouring to move around because of his injury, believed to be a hip injury. The thought process was that he would end up on LTIR for the season, but when TSN's Darren Dreger had reached out to the Leafs for comment, he was told that the team hadn't yet made a decision on Klingberg. Well, fast forward a few days and here we are, with Klingberg having been placed on LTIR on Thursday.

Dreger joined the TSN 1050 crew this morning on First Up and explained why it might be a little too early to determine whether or not Klingberg is done for the year. As it turns out, we may have to wait until that 10-game, 24-day mark to determine whether or not his long-term prognosis ends up being better than expected or whether his season will end prematurely.

"I can't sit here and say that he's done for the year. I don't think the Maple Leafs can say that, but I can tell you, I asked earlier this week if LTI was the most likely option because it seemed pretty obvious and the response I got back was 'we don't have to make that decision yet'. Well that was like 2 days ago, so they obviously knew that his situation was reaching that point where the best case scenario is to sit him and continue to have him go through treatments and everything else to try to get him healthy again in that 10-game, 24-day span. So I'm not positioned here to say that he's done for the year. I think that's premature." - Dreger on Klingberg

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
For much of the year, it was made apparent that John Klingberg had been playing through an undisclosed injury in an attempt to try to both manage the injury and continue to play hockey. However, following a game against the Vancouver Canucks 2 weeks ago, Klingberg had ceased practicing and playing, missing both games in Sweden at last weekend's Global Series.

TSN's Mike Johnson created a bit of a stir this week when he confirmed that he had seen Klingberg up close and in person and that Klingberg had been labouring to move around because of his injury, believed to be a hip injury. The thought process was that he would end up on LTIR for the season, but when TSN's Darren Dreger had reached out to the Leafs for comment, he was told that the team hadn't yet made a decision on Klingberg. Well, fast forward a few days and here we are, with Klingberg having been placed on LTIR on Thursday.

Dreger joined the TSN 1050 crew this morning on First Up and explained why it might be a little too early to determine whether or not Klingberg is done for the year. As it turns out, we may have to wait until that 10-game, 24-day mark to determine whether or not his long-term prognosis ends up being better than expected or whether his season will end prematurely.

He had surgery on hips nearly a decade ago?

Would have liked to have seen him with the Leafs when healthy.

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
I fell for Klingberg as he was considered a Norris candidate at one time in his career and is a legit NHL'er

I dont feel anything for Reeves.....because he got lucky in getting a 3 yr deal at his age and
he has never been a hockey player in this league. He is just a enforcer who cant skate or shoot and he made a career out of it because the NHL loves promoting goons.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He had surgery on hips nearly a decade ago?

Would have liked to have seen him with the Leafs when healthy.

Over the course of the last 6 past seasons combined Klingberg has been among the highest scoring Dmen in the NHL among some real good company,

1700843070945.png

Klingberg same amount of points Drew Doughty not much less than Cale Makar and Quinn Hughes.

A healthy Klingberg could have been a good addition to provide some secondary offense outside of the core 4 forwards and Mo Riells and reasonable gamble on a 1 year deal.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
You don't always win when you bet on yourself.

For all Nylander knows he could suffer a career ending injury next game and not see a penny of his new $70M+ contract he's possibly getting soon.

That's why if I was an agent I would ALWAYS be pushing for signing ASAP (as long as it's within reason). Maybe I'm just a paranoid guy but we've all seen some terrible shit happen in hockey.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
On Friday, Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe touched on the Klingberg to LTIR fiasco. Contrary to what the conspiracy theorists are suggesting, it's clear from what Keefe had to say that the Leafs are still just as uncertain about Klingberg's future than the rest of us. Keefe told the media ahead of Friday's 2:00pm ET matinee against the Blackhawks that Klingberg's LTIR placement was nothing more than just to provide him some time to determine what the next steps will be.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
On Friday, Leafs head coach Sheldon Keefe touched on the Klingberg to LTIR fiasco. Contrary to what the conspiracy theorists are suggesting, it's clear from what Keefe had to say that the Leafs are still just as uncertain about Klingberg's future than the rest of us. Keefe told the media ahead of Friday's 2:00pm ET matinee against the Blackhawks that Klingberg's LTIR placement was nothing more than just to provide him some time to determine what the next steps will be.
What's the 'fiasco' part?

• Haha
Reactions: howlman

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
What's the 'fiasco' part?
The Toronto Maple Leafs are the subject of a lot of conversation following Thursday's events involving injured defenseman John Klingberg. For those who may have missed it, the Leafs had placed Klingberg on Long-Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) on Thursday, which led to a lot of dialogue on social media surrounding whether or not the Leafs are using LTIR to get rid of bad contracts.

Of course, the narrative is more interesting than the actual story, which is that Matt Murray and John Klingberg are both injured. Murray had surgery before the start of this season and the recovery time is expected to keep him out all year. Meanwhile, with Klingberg, his future is less certain, which is to say that we don't yet know whether his injury will keep him out all year or that he'll be back at some point.

1700853730034.png

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Once he goes in for surgery I'm sure these "conspiracies" will clear up. Anecdotes are that the guy doesn't even walk right anymore.

Reactions: kb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad